real dumb question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by smileandnod, Nov 13, 2003.

1. smileandnod

smileandnod

I think I already know the answer to this but here goes anyway..

I have an interconnect, that has metal RCA plugs. They are quite wide, and on one component, the sockets are close enough that the plugs touch. Is this a problem?

I think that since they are only the ground, it shouldn't be a problem, but am I right?

Cheers.

Ian.

smileandnod, Nov 13, 2003
  2. smileandnod

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Correct. You might increase noise somewhat by creating a small earth loop, but to a large extent this should not be a significant issue.

I-S, Nov 13, 2003
  3. smileandnod

smileandnod

Cheers Isaac.

It has also occured to me that I can always put some shrink wrap around one of the plugs :shame:

Ian.

smileandnod, Nov 14, 2003
  4. smileandnod

maddog 2

a good question it is as I was just about to ask exactly the same ;)

I've just built up some DIY interconnects with Audusa locking RCAs and they're chubby little buggers. I squeezed a matchstick between them just in case it was an electrical no-no.

maddog 2, Nov 14, 2003
  5. smileandnod

Sauerkraut Do I or Don't I? I did!!!

I wanted to ask this too. The back of my AV amp looks like a BT phone exchange :eek: and more than just a few interconnects are touching!

However to follow on from that. I also had a problem using all metal LOktite speaker banana plugs. I found these were touching at the amp end. I also blew the fuses in a power amp I was borrowing. Could this be the cause?:confused:

Lets just say my friend was less than impressed when I told him I'd blown his amp:chop: !
    Cheers all

Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003
  6. smileandnod

maddog 2

did he look like your avatar?

maddog 2, Nov 14, 2003
  7. smileandnod

Not far off. I may now be the owner of a Rotel RB970bx.

Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003
  8. smileandnod

Warren M

There's nothing wrong with a Rotel RB970bx.
    Thats what I use.
    Get some new output fuses and start using that power amp.
    Just make sure that the bananas arn't touching next time.

OR sell it to me for next to nothing because it's not working;)

Warren M, Nov 14, 2003
  9. smileandnod

I agree its a lovely sounding amp. Although I think I prefere the sound of my SR72000. Still need to do a proper comparison.

I replaced the power section fuses that blew and powered up with no speaker cables atattched and they blew again immediatly!:(

Any ideas what could be causing this? Don't want ot waste anothe 2 new fuses. There are no visible signs of damage or singeing etc inside or out.
    Could the touching speaker cables have caused this in the first place (as its the power section fuses that blew not the speaker section fuses!)?
    Thanks

Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003
  10. smileandnod

Warren M

Warren M, Nov 14, 2003
  11. smileandnod

Sounds like you've blown a device, which has internally gone short and thus blows the fuse immediately... Touching the speaker cables could well have caused this, and the damage caused to the device before the fuses could blow.

I-S, Nov 14, 2003
  12. smileandnod

Thanks for the link Warren. these guys really know what they are talking about! Even though I have a Masters in Engineering they have completly lost me :confused: and I don't have any of the tools (apart form a soldering iron) needed to do this sort of job. Would be an interesting project though! I will do a bit more reading around this site, but don't think I'm going to be capable of doing what they do!

Thanks Issac. is there an easy way of testing these devices for failure. After reading the link it certainly sounds like what you say could be the cause. It's finding the cullprit that will be the problem!

Would it be a good idea to ask on the DIY site?

Thanks all.

Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003
  13. smileandnod

Warren M

My suggestion to you would be to buy a multimeter and run through the checks mentioned by "Doh" on the DIYaudio forum.
    A multimeter can be picked up for cheap from Maplins.

1) Perform a diode test on all output devices. If any of them are 0V then that transistor is probably blown.

2)Perform a diode test around each rectifier bridge. If you get 0V on any of them then that rectifier is blown.

3)Measure the resistance across each of the power supply capacitors. If you get 0 Ohms then that Capacitor may be blown.

These tests are easy to do and I doubt anyone on DIYaudio will offer you any assistance until you have at least tried these three basic tests.

Warren M, Nov 14, 2003
  14. smileandnod

lowrider Live music is surround

Most AVs have the RCA sockets too close, my WBTs also touched on the TAG and on the Krell, no problem I could hear, but my dealer told me to put some tape in between... :rolleyes:

I dont have the problem anymore, as I now use balanced XLR... :MILD:

lowrider, Nov 14, 2003
  15. smileandnod

As warren said. Put the multimeter into diode mode, and test all pins of the output devices in both orientations. If you get a continuous beep and 0.000 shown on the display, that's a short.

I-S, Nov 14, 2003
  16. smileandnod

Thanks guys, as soon as Maplin sort there website out I'll order one. Or maybe I'll just pop along to argos and get one then I can do this this weekend. Is there anything in particular I want in the multimeter or will the cheapest
    ie Cheap Argos Multimeter

do for what I need.
    Thanks again guys, very appreciative.

Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003
  17. smileandnod

Paul Ranson

Phono cases touching is obviously no problem at all. Shorting power amp outputs can be a very bad thing if the power amp has no protection. As would appear to be the case here.

If you have to ask these sorts of questions then I would suggest that attempting a power amp repair might not be a very good idea.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 14, 2003
  18. smileandnod

Thanks for the concern Paul, but the amp was protected with the two fuses that blew. But obviously something else has gone as well. And as the amp is broken already trying to fix it myself (or at least asertain the fault myself) seems like the best answer to me. The cost of getting a proffesional to repair it is not really feasable as they go on the second hand market for between £100-£80 which is pretty much what a repairman would charge.

I am a practical person and in do kind of enjoy this sort of thing. Hey you have to learn sometime :). At least if I can find the fault and don't feel brave enough to attempt the repair I can find someone who is to do it for me.:

Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003
  19. smileandnod

Paul Ranson

The amp broke and then the fuse went. Many power amps have short circuit protection that means they simply shut down, you power them off for 5 minutes, then back on, and normal service is resumed.

If you have a digital camera post some photos of the insides and we may be able to offer advice on the mechanics as well.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 14, 2003
  20. smileandnod

Warren M

That Argos multimeter seems to do diode testing.

I don't think finding the fault will be beyond your capability.

Do some measuring this weekend and come back and tell us what you get.

Warren M, Nov 14, 2003
Ask a Question