Really good CD players?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Apr 29, 2007.

1. johnfromnorwich

JackOTrades

Have not heard any Wadias so cannot comment on those. I am sure WM could give you some hints on this.

Interesting your comments on divided opinions. I must say that I would have thought it the other way around, ie, turntables and arms and carts can create so many combinations and generally small tweaks on a TT combo produce listenable differences (IME).

I must say I have not found such degree of differences between cd players, but there are clear differences and "characters" to them. Maybe electronics synergies are more critical on cd replay?

All the same, it is an interesting finding. :)

The Esoterics I heard (not the latest ones) I felt were on the clear, more analytic side (not being overly so). I liked the Res Audio a lot, but it is rather expensive is it not?

Cheers,
    Jack

Jack

JackOTrades, May 1, 2007
  2. johnfromnorwich

tuga

I actually find that Meridians have a rather hifi-ish ultra detailed sound...

tuga, May 1, 2007
  3. johnfromnorwich

Antony

I find the analogue output of the 588 to be rather good, even in comparison to using it as a transport into my TDA2200. I'd say its sound was neutral and accurate, rather than anything else, but that's just my opinion. The 506 I heard left me rather underwhelmed.

Antony, May 1, 2007
  4. johnfromnorwich

AlexTaylor

Accuphase. You've got to have a listen to Accuphase!

I had Cyrus that I bought on the strengths of reviews like a kn*b, upgraded to Accuphase which was the best hi-fi decision I ever made. Followed by the worst.... listening to a dCS.

AlexTaylor, May 2, 2007
  5. johnfromnorwich

Dev Moderator

Why was listening to dCS the worst decision ever? Did you end up buying it?

Dev, May 2, 2007
  6. johnfromnorwich

AlexTaylor

yes:(

AlexTaylor, May 2, 2007
  7. johnfromnorwich

jaspal kallar

Out of interest which Cyrus model was that ?

jaspal

jaspal kallar, May 3, 2007
  8. johnfromnorwich

AlexTaylor

The CD6. I then tried the Cyrus upgrade route and luckily found that I was climbing the wrong ladder in spectacular fashion before I commited. I had the CD6, 8vs and PSX-R, I kept thinking that there was something wrong with me because it kept getting these amazing reviews but I found it musically dead, pure hi-fi. I tried the CD8 on home dem, with PSX-R and that was just more impressive in terms of hi-fi but still musically coma inducing and after a while listening, headache inducing. Tried them with a range of speakers. No. Still cack.

AlexTaylor, May 3, 2007
  9. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Exactly my experience. Although to be fair the soundstaging is quite good I think. So, 3-dimensional earache then!

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
    johnfromnorwich, May 3, 2007
  10. johnfromnorwich

AlexTaylor

Therein lies the problem, I'm not into all the hi-fi things such as soundstaging, imaging, depth etc, just whether the music involves me or not...

There isn't a lot that does.

AlexTaylor, May 3, 2007
  11. johnfromnorwich

joel Shaman of Signals

I have a TEAC VRDS50. Esoteric is the fancy name TEAC (aka TASCAM, aka Yokogawa Electric) give their hifi brand. So what I have is an old Esoteric, and very good it is too - to the extent that no one even bothers to comment about CD playback when they come round: there's nothing to say, it just is.
    I bought mine, several years ago now, because I thought it sounded organic and natural, I still think it does, but the differences from other CDPs are mostly in my head.

joel, May 3, 2007
  12. johnfromnorwich

Furyous

Take a listen to a DAC64. Some love it, some aren't too keen. But it certainly sounds different and distinct, and saw off an MF A5, RA Opus21, Naim CDX2 and Densen B400x in my system. I'd describe the sound as extremely clear, highly detailed and well extended and articulate (particularly in the bass). Not transport fussy either.

Furyous, May 4, 2007
  13. johnfromnorwich

banpe2006

On the subject of the meridian 506.24...This player was all I wanted for a number of years and was a very exciting and compelling listen. It produced all manner of tracks well....However, I found that when listening to anything with strings, there was a nasty screeching sound which i gradually found hard to accept. The 508 / 588 addresses this problem and has by far the better sound. It sounds much more "real". The only problem here though is that the sparkle and excitement you get from the 506 ( though probably false) is lost IMO by the 508. Many many people, swear by the 508 / 588 series however and therefore they may be worthy of an audition. I would aim for something with the reproductive quality of the 508 but the rhythm of the 506 and therein lies the problem!...good luck

banpe2006, May 4, 2007
  14. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Posts over on meridianunplugged seem to indicate that 506's are starting to die and getting spares for these or 508's is getting problematic (laser mechs in particular). This has put me off somewhat. Pity since they seem to come up on ebay pretty regularly for reasonable money.

johnfromnorwich, May 4, 2007
  15. johnfromnorwich

SteveS1

I had a 206B in regular use for 15 years. Friends have had 506s for lengthy periods with no problems. I think they are among the longer lasting players.

Beware of reading too much into forum reports - not many people post that they have had no trouble.

Steve

SteveS1, May 7, 2007
  16. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

A bit of trouble is okay in an old player IF spares are available - that was my main concern: lack of available (critical) parts if things did go awry. I generally trust the build quality - my 203 DAC is still doing sterling service on the back of the 100 quid DVD player we use for movie watching.

johnfromnorwich, May 7, 2007
  17. johnfromnorwich

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Hmmm, are you sure you're approaching things the right way round here? I'd take a look at the GS10's first, followed by the passive pre. The MA's lean towards brightness and a passive attenuator pre (according to other ZGers) have a reputation for lacking drive & punch.

Spend carefully.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, May 8, 2007
  18. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

No problems with vinyl though. Plus there I've struck a deal with my girlfriend: when I finish my PhD, we can sell up and move. When we move, I can have a big pair of transmission lines. So the speakers stay for now. The WAD is pretty sensitive too - hence the passive pre and the pre is a TVC which seems to get round a lot of the drive and punch issues, esp when you can't really crank it up. Like I say - vinyl sounds fine and dandy, only CD sucks.

johnfromnorwich, May 8, 2007
  19. johnfromnorwich

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I've never liked those el-cheapo plastic shoe boxes that Cyrus gear comes in anyway ;-)

Dynamic Turtle, May 8, 2007
  20. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

They've got worse in recent years, as they've pitched more for the lifestyle sector, I think. The old stuff was good basic entry level 'hifi'. No frills and all the money spent on build and components. Their recent adverts are really obviously aimed at the yuppie / loft apartment / DINKY crowd. Small and neat, low WAF. The CD tray is particularly nasty. Quality control on LED brightness is really flakey too - and this should be vey easy to get right. OTOH my old Cyrus 1 is built like a tank, would probably break your foot if you dropped it and aside from 20 years of gak in the source selector, still works a treat. I guess they know where their money is coming from. Pity.

johnfromnorwich, May 8, 2007
Ask a Question