Really good CD players?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Apr 29, 2007.

1. johnfromnorwich

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Completely off topic I know, but I see you have the Glasshouse TVC. Must be fairly new, any thoughts on it? A TVC is definitely something I want to try and sub £500 seems very reasonable for such a device.

Uncle Ants, May 8, 2007
  2. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

I've had it since January. Very happy so far but I don't have much experience with other pre-amps so it's a bit hard to draw any strong conclusions. I was surprised at how far I had to turn it up, given the relatively high sensitivity of the WAD but I don't have super sensitive speakers and it's never gone > 2 o'clock. I was tempted by the Promethius but it was too wide (if you look on the 'my kit' thread you'll see what I mean) and the wood didn't really meet with domestic approval. GH were the next cheapest option for what looks like pretty interchangable technology so I just took a punt. Can't see me changing it in a hurry!

johnfromnorwich, May 8, 2007
  3. johnfromnorwich

Seems you are enjoying it. I take it they don't have the optional extra 6db gain like the MF version.

Uncle Ants, May 9, 2007
  4. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Nope. Just a selector and a volume knob. Quite a price difference though....

johnfromnorwich, May 9, 2007
  5. johnfromnorwich

Indeed :) Did you buy it built or the kit? Rumour has it they take some burning in, did you find so, or just forum talk?

Uncle Ants, May 9, 2007
  6. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

I bught it pre-built, purely because my soldering is a bit pants and I'd looked at the construction and decided it was a pretty tight squeeze already! As for burn in, I don't really know. I burned mine in by hooking it up to a switched off power amp with the attenuator wide open and the radio on. Then went away for a long weekend. It got a good 100hrs before I'd even heard it. I don't get any sense that it's changed since then, but Glasshouse recommend 100 hrs on their site. Does anyone else on here have one?

johnfromnorwich, May 9, 2007
  7. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Thanks for all the advice and all but I bit the bullet and stumped up for a s/s Copland CDA823. It's a bit bulky but a pretty massive improvement in every way, I can tell you. Anyone else got one of these?

johnfromnorwich, May 23, 2007
  8. johnfromnorwich

scott_01

Have you tried or listened to a Wadia 301/302? very very good IMO. Especially direct into Power amps if you can do that.

2nd hand for 1500 / 2500 pounds (301 /302).

Seriously good, like good analogue.

scott_01, May 24, 2007
  9. johnfromnorwich

shrink

as a cyrus advocate i feel i should come in and defend the side a little.

Cyrus products are something of a mixed bag with some performing far better than others. I agree with your thoughts about the CD8x, its brash, thin and lacks substance, same can be said for the 8 integrated.

However the older CD7Q and dad3Q and positively warm and lush sounding by comparison.. they are also built better than any of the new cyrus kit.

Also the monoblocks are superbly musical as well as the preX. Its just a shame that lately cyrus have ruined the finish of the cases to a brushed black and two tone silver, and still insist on chucking out the CD8x which simply isnt that good.

try yourself a cyrus dad3Q (or dad3Q24) very cheap on ebay and has wonderfull richness and scale while still doing the classic cyrus trait of good soundstaging. For a bit more cash the CD7Q does all of that but adds punch and impact to the mix.

seems to be a general rule that odd numbered cyrus kit sounds much better... Cyrus III, Cyrus 7, dad3, cd7, etc etc

very odd indeed.

i would also suggest though that your speakers are known for having a bright top end... it may well be that the super smooth nature of your vinyl front end tames this, but i find pretty much any system unlistenable that contains MA speakers (and ive owned some)

even on the end of a complete MF rig i find the treble on MA speakers insistant and irritating. That may be down to my dislike of metal tweeters though.

shrink, May 29, 2007
  10. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

That really seems to echo most of what I read on Cyrusunofficial - lots of advocates of the Cyrus III and CD7. I used to have a Cyrus 5 but thought it lacked 'grunt', the C8 had grunt but was too brash. I definitely agree that MA speakers are a bad match for Cyrus gear - each seems to bring out the worst in the other. OTOH, I'm very happy with the sound I have now via MA speakers - and I never had any complaints when playing vinyl.

Although the Copland is a vast improvement on the CD8 (especially mid-bass resolution), the Cyrus did still pip it in terms of sound-stage. Personally, I think Cyrus have lost their way a bit (QC of the LEDs is shocking). I was a strong advocate of their kit until the '8' range of gear but unfortunately, that's when I had the money to upgrade, and their advertising really seems to be targeted at a 'high end lifestyle' market now. Hopefully they'll get it back together in future. I'll never sell my Cyrus 1 though!

johnfromnorwich, May 29, 2007
  11. johnfromnorwich

sy247

As I am only down the road from you in Reedham I was going to suggest you could pop round and have a listen to my TEAC VRDS 10 and Beresford TC-7510 DAC.

An impressive and cost effective combination at £100 for the DAC and under £250 for a second hand VRDS plus the cost of a half decent digital cable to connect the two. One user reports excellent results with a 20 Alba DVD player!

To qualify how highly I rate the Beresford I have recently got my hands on a TEAC Esoteric D70 DAC which at 5K RRP you might expect to absolutely slaughter the £100 Beresford. The Esoteric is certainly better, but TBH I could happily live with either.

Simon

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2007
    sy247, May 31, 2007
  12. johnfromnorwich

kmac

How are you getting on with the Copland?

I ask as I have the same set-up as your old CDp - a Cyrus Cd8x with PSX-R. Can't cope with much really. Certain types of music suits (acoutic/folk type) - other genres sound cacophonous at best.

Looking to replace it with something like a Melody CDM-10 or Eastern Electric Minimax or the Unison hybrid player.

Rest of system consists of Pathos TT amp and LSA-2 floorstanders. Anyone with any of the above CDPs - I'd be interedt to hear your views (and preferably the players as well :))

kmac, Jun 26, 2007
  13. johnfromnorwich

Effem Cable manufacturer

A Stello CD player is also worth considering. Choice Hi-Fi sock them

Effem, Jun 26, 2007
  14. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Still really happy - especially at the price I paid for it (£800). It does everything better and can really deliver the ROCK when needed, something the Cyrus just couldn't. I agree with your comments about the Cyrus and acoustic / folk - I ended up listening to a lot of this when I had my CD8! The only downside to the Copland so far is its sheer physical bulk (deep and tall) - it actually makes my WAD6550 look under built. I think there are a couple of other Copland owners on the board too and I've yet to hear any detractors. Better players may exist but I've no plans to hunt them out for the foreseeable future

johnfromnorwich, Jun 26, 2007
  15. johnfromnorwich

kmac

Thanks for that - added Copland to list of players to audition.

Effem - any partocualr model of Stello - there seem to be a few - seems Australian as well if I'm not mistaken. Not that it matters if the qualtiy to price ratio is right

kmac, Jun 27, 2007
  16. johnfromnorwich

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

I'd agree with the AudioNet, a great player, but top loading if that's a problem.
    I've recently heard the Puresound cdp that WM sells and was very impressed, and it can be upgraded by WM as funds allow.
    I also think the Naim 5 cdp pretty good and actually works very well with valves.

LiloLee, Jun 27, 2007
  17. johnfromnorwich

Effem Cable manufacturer

The CDA-320 integrated player which is currently being revamped as I understand it.

I have the CDT-200 transport and it sounds sublime

http://www.aprilmusic.com/products_stello.htm

Effem, Jun 27, 2007
  18. johnfromnorwich

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Stello are Korean.

lAmBoY, Jun 27, 2007
  19. johnfromnorwich

Andy registered grazer

I know i've missed the boat here by quite a margin but has anyone here compared a well modded marantz CD63ki against a £1000 plus Presently competitive player. After a few pretty simple mods it sounded heavenly, Not bad for a ten year old budget bargain and i bet it wouldn't do too badly in a 'commercial' hifi mag if it were a blind test.

Andy, Jun 27, 2007
  20. johnfromnorwich

panneauman

Meridian G-08 if your finances will let you come on you only
    live once they have been making very good cd players since
    1984 and yes they are very reliable nothing is perfect but they
    sure try there are lots of good players out there but none with
    the Meridian background they are just like a timex they take a
    licking but keep on playing and very important you can listen for
    very long periods without fatigue. Panneauman

panneauman, Jun 29, 2007
Ask a Question