Reasonable screened IC for subwoofer

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MartinC, Sep 20, 2004.

1. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Right now I'm using the freebie cable that came with it to connect my sub to the pre-amp. The trouble is if nothing else the screening on this cable is so poor that it is VERY prone to picking up mains hum from nearby cables, which then goes straight to the power amp and out the speakers :inferno: . So I'm looking for an alternative that isn't going to cost a packet (it's only for the sub after all). It would need to be at least 3m long. I'm probably thinking of a DIY job so any recommendations of decent cable from Maplin etc would be great, but if there's anything cheap ready made out there I'd be interested too.

Edited to add: I probably didn't make this clear above, but I'm after a STEREO IC to connect from my pre-amp to sub, not a normal mono LFE type subwoofer cable.

Cheers,

Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2004
    MartinC, Sep 20, 2004
  2. MartinC

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Before going to the trouble - are you sure this is the cause? If there's a permanent hum it could be an earth loop via the mains, made more audible if the sub is plugged in a way away from the other equipment. Try plugging it into the same outlet as the amps etc to see if that makes it less - if so, it's because you have shortened the loop available for picking up hum. If not, then the only lead I know of is the standard one that comes with Linn subs - I've never had a hum problem with that, even though it runs close to mains. Hope the above helps.

SteveC, Sep 20, 2004
  3. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Cheers Steve, but it's definitely the cable. I can get the effect with the sub switched off, and even with the cable disconnected at the sub end. Moving the cable away from nearby mains cables then reduces the problem. I tried using a digital cable I run to my DVD player along a very similar route and it was much better, hence I'm assuming it's primarily a shielding issue.

I spotted the problem as after various sub moving experiments the cable was certainly not optimally arrange relative the the nearby mains cables, and the hum was loud. I mean you walk in the room (no music playing) and immediately hear the hum. Obvisouly it's better with proper cable arrangement, but I'm sure it can be improved on with a more competant cable.

Oh, and I probably didn't make this clear in my first post, but I'm after a stereo interconnect to go from pre-amp outs to my sub, not a single, mono LFE type cable.

MartinC, Sep 20, 2004
  4. MartinC

user34 Garrard 401 User

Have you tried Flashback or SCSI Bob's .

I just ordered from Flashback, because I needed a sub cable from Naim to Din to phono and they very friendly very reasonably priced and got the cable out the next day. It's true I haven't received it yet, but that's not their fault. if you're in the UK you shouldn't have any worries.

user34, Sep 20, 2004
  5. MartinC

Snoopdog

Martin,

Have a look here under AV Forum Power buy special offers/subwoofer cable.

http://www.avforums.com/

This guy sells a 3 metre cable for £33.

Steve

Snoopdog, Sep 20, 2004
Ask a Question