Reccomend me!!

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Snoo, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Snoo

Snoo

I was listening to 'Teardrops' by massive attack the other day. I really like the electronica sound of that and other works from Mezzanine. However I hate the way the female vocals sound.

Can anybody suggest some good, dark sounding female fronted electronica? I've got some Bjork to listen to that was reccomended but I'm lost for anything else. I'm after real vivid vocals like you'd get from a Patricia Barber album.

Thankyou.

Snoo, Jan 19, 2007
  2. Snoo

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Jan 19, 2007
  3. Snoo

robert_cyrus

would have to be portishead, surely! both "dummy" and follow up self-titled albums
    try also:
    helicopter girl "voodoo chic"
    poe "haunted"

robert_cyrus, Jan 19, 2007
  4. Snoo

mellstock

Morcheeba

What about Morcheeba? Very attractive non-soul female vocals, interesting lyrics, neat & blusey guitar licks threaded into the trip-hop chill-out vibe which is their critical pigeon-hole. I'd say they're a criminally under-recognised classic English pop band. Even got a great deal (?3) on a budget best-of - can't remember whther it was Fop or HMV, but probably the latter, here in London. Orange cover but no sleeve notes. good luck
    ________
    COMPASS

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
    mellstock, Jan 19, 2007
  5. Snoo

Snoo

Thanks folks. I've got some Morcheeba and find it a bit cheesy too be honest. I'm big into Portishead so that base is covered. By the patricia barber comment I meant in the clarity of how her voice is within the recording. Most female vocals when linked with electronica seem to sound like they are going through some horrid filters.

Will check out some Lamb. I'm after something really dark though. More along the lines of Portishead I guess. Hopefully the new album will surface soon.

Snoo, Jan 19, 2007
  6. Snoo

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Lambs debut is their bast IMO and well worth a listen. Not necessarily dark, but a great female fronted electronica feast.

The bat for lashes album reminds me of Bjork in places and again, is well worth checking out.

I dug out Andrea Parker "Kiss My Arp" for a listen the other day having not listened for quite a while. I think this might be along the lines of what you're after. Dark and MOody.

Ruby is also worth a listen. A MOre feisty grungy trip hop sound with some great tracks on her album Salt Peter.

I'd deffo check out Andrea Parker though going on what you've said.

MO!, Jan 19, 2007
  7. Snoo

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

lou rhodes has a solo album,alt-folk sparesely recorded and produced stuff, not what i would call dark,other than in production.

sq225917, Jan 19, 2007
  8. Snoo

chezi

Lamb are an excellent choice if you like a bit of downbeat D&B , I prefer Fear of Fours but the debut album is indeed very good , infact all the Lamb albums are worth a spin or three.:D

MO , have you heard any of the other Ruby albums ? Short Staffed at the Gene Pool , Salt Peter remixed or Altered and Proud (Short Staffed remixed) I was in love with Lesley Rankin.:)

Portishead ; Dummy is a must have album IMO , same "Bristol Sound" as Massive.
    Tricky ; Maxinquaye.
    Cocteau Twins , Liz Fraser sings on the track Teardrop.
    Nightmares on Wax. (not very "Dark" but excellent stuff)
    also on the lighter side;
    Crazy Penis.
    Some LTJ Bukem stuff ,
    Kruder & Dorfmiester.
    For DARK Instrumental ;
    Plastikman
    Trentemoller

To name just a few.;)

chezi

chezi, Jan 25, 2007
  9. Snoo

jon tiltman

Goldfrapp!

jon tiltman, Jan 25, 2007
  10. Snoo

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi, I've only heard Salt Peter and Remixed.
    I forgot about short staffed, shall try pick it up toMOrrow.

With Lamb, the Debut is the stand out IMO. I agree all are worth a listen but I find they reduce in greatness with the newer albums. All are still worth it though.
    Perhaps the Debut holds a higher place for me partly due to the impact of not having a previous yard-stick/reference for comparisson. Also, maybe some nostalgia of times had which it reminds me of.

There's some fav's of mine on your list, but perhaps not fitting the female fronted electronica requested.

I still think Andrea Parker would be up your street snoo.

MO!, Jan 25, 2007
Ask a Question