Receiver and Subwoofer connection

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by BenchAudio, Aug 27, 2024.

1. BenchAudio

BenchAudio

I have a receiver that has a Subwoofer Out RCA jack, but the wire in the wall is a 14AWG with banana clip connections. Can I connect my sub using this setup? If so, how?

BenchAudio, Aug 27, 2024
  2. BenchAudio

Sergeauckland

It looks like the sub output assumes the sub will be active, hence the RCA output. The wiring in the wall is for a passive sub. You need either an amplifier between receiver and passive sub or change the wiring to screened cable for an active sub.
    You may be able to use the unscreened wiring for an active sub with balanced inputs if you convert the RCA unbalanced output to balanced.

S

Sergeauckland, Aug 27, 2024
  3. BenchAudio

BenchAudio

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I cannot swap out the wiring which is embedded in the wall.
    Is there any way to convert the connections from the banana plugs to something that will plug into an active sub?

Attached Files:

BenchAudio, Sep 9, 2024
  4. BenchAudio

Sergeauckland

As the sub doesn't have a balanced input, you can use the existing wiring, but you will have to buy an unbalanced to balanced converter for the output of your receiver, and you will have to buy a balanced to unbalanced converter for the sub end.

That way, you're using the existing wiring as unscreened balanced cabling, which should work fine. If the in wall cabling runs along with the mains, there could be some hum, so hopefully, they won't have run them too close together.

You'll have to make up your own connecting cables from/to the converters.
    S

Sergeauckland, Sep 9, 2024
  5. BenchAudio

BenchAudio

Appreciate the guidance Sergeauckland.
    I will look for some converters......

BenchAudio, Sep 10, 2024 at 2:42 AM
    Sergeauckland likes this.
Ask a Question