recomend me a DAC please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by taz, Mar 19, 2011.

1. taz

taz

recomend me a DAC please
    I have a Marantz sa7001 KI sacd player and a Marantz PM 7001 KI amp running into a pair of old B&W'S DM 603-s3 which
    i have re-wired internally with solid silver cable and swapped a few caps with wilmslow audio jobs, I would like a new pair of
    speakers this year for my 50th birthday up to around £1500 new or sh not bothered which, thing is buying a new cd player and amp
    would be expensive and I thought maybe a good DAC might be the way forward ? or would that make the amp the weak link ?
    anyway any help would be appreciated thanks

taz, Mar 19, 2011
  2. taz

nando nando

you can try the m.f. M1 DAC.

nando, Mar 19, 2011
  3. taz

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I'd wait and see what your new speakers tell you about your current SACD player. It's a very well regarded player, and could stand a serious speaker upgrade.

Getting your room and speakers right will make more difference than any DAC

sq225917, Mar 19, 2011
  4. taz

nando nando

i could secon that, simon

nando, Mar 19, 2011
  5. taz

Boman

Agree with nando

Having had an SA7001-KI SACD myself, I'd definitely recommend adding an external DAC. My KI replaced an erratic Micromega player, but during our first year together it never really took off the way I had hoped - I often found myself missing the French player's sonic characteristics instead of enjoying the music (re)produced by the Marantz. When Musical Fidelity dumped their X-series, I bought myself an X-Ray v8 CD player, together with external DAC (X-Dac v8) and the beefier of the two PSU's (Triple-X 170) for slightly more than what I had paid for the Marantz one year earlier. The sound was in another league altogether. As I had acquired a couple of SACD:s, though, I kept the Marantz and took it for the occasional spin. After a year or so, the transport mechanism of the X-Ray started to act up, so I decided to use the Marantz as transport instead. All my memories of it being dull and flat, lacking in both detail retrieval and dynamics were immediately put to shame (though using the X-Ray as transport gave an added level of crispiness to the HF - slight, for sure, but definitely audible ... and sometimes slightly tiring).

Thus, having heard the SA7001-KI paired with an MF DAC, I would heartily second nando's suggestion to try the M1. If your budget stretches to twice that, I'd recommend adding the Lite 83 to your shortlist - not a DAC producing an enormous soundstage, such as what the Sabre chip DAC:s appear to do so well (never heard any), but the amount of air and space within the soundstage conveyed is irresistably seducing and on top of that the difference in dynamics compared to the X-Dac v8 was staggering (but dynamics appear to be another forte of the Sabre chip DAC:s, so you should definitely try to listen to one such beast if you have the possibility to do so).

Just my thoughts, hopefully there was something in there that you find useful. Good luck :)

Boman, Mar 20, 2011
  6. taz

nando nando

when i tried the M1 dac i was in two minds as to what player to use as transport, first i tried USB input, very good with laptop, then with my 5.5 super and then with my old but nice SONY SACD, the dac did seam to open up the sound stage, the mid and tops were very lifelike in my system, what surprised me was the bass response, not over blown, tight but not afraid of going deep pending on certain music and quality of recordings,i would say the best advice that i can give to you is to try one, after all it is personal.

nando, Mar 20, 2011
  7. taz

taz

thanks for the input so far guys

taz, Mar 20, 2011
Ask a Question