Recommend me a speaker cable...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gromit, May 11, 2004.

1. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

I'm currently using Chord Rumour - it's good stuff, and I've been mostly happy with it for the last 3 years or so. I've just bought a pair of Tablette 50 Signatures, which are bi-wirable, so I'm after doing so (my older Super Tabs are good ol' single run).

I'm tempted to just 'double-up' my current cable ie buy another 2x5m run of the same stuff and join it into the amp end's plugs. One thing I am rather concerned about is the Sig's bass-heavy nature (they're also a bit 'thumpy' if that makes sense) which the Chord cable seems to exacerbate. I may be wrong though, having not a huge amount of experience with different cables.

I don't want to spend a fortune - 10-15 quid/m is probably my limit tbh.

Many thanks as always for any suggestions - only been on this forum a week or so and have been truly gobsmacked by how helpful folk are. :)

Gromit, May 11, 2004
  2. Gromit

Lt Cdr Data om

try going to maplins and buying van dammes lc ofc 2.5 mil, you can get it in 4 core, too.

I like this stuff a lot, and makes most high priceds futile and redundant YMMV tho'

also try B+Q, you can get some orange 2 core which looks nice and is cheap. I have got some and am going to try it.

the classic one for something different is dnm reson.

van den hul cs122 another,

straighwire quartet, the list is almost endless.

You can't really beat cable talk 3.1 for all around value and qualtiy build

nordost flatline, may be a bit bright with proacs, tho

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, May 11, 2004
  3. Gromit

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Thumpy huh? Try moving them away from walls and corners :)

technobear, May 11, 2004
  4. Gromit

Lt Cdr Data om

also try plugging one of the ports with a sock and see if that helps or hinders.
    You may have bought them off my brother? ealing?

5. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

The very one! Dave?? Really nice bloke. :)

I'll try plugging one port - the speakers are sited approx 5 ft from the rear wall, 3 ft from the sides. Can't really give them much more free air as the room's only approx 11x11ft. :(

They're gorgeous little speakers - I'm just getting used to them at the moment, they're VERY different to my older Super Tablettes - warmer, smoother, LOTS more bass. I'm prepared to work at it though. :)

Thanks for the cable suggestions - I know Cable Talk's stuff, used to have Concert 2(?) a few years ago, when I just need 3m per side.

Gromit, May 11, 2004
  6. Gromit

Lt Cdr Data om

the very one!! he is a good guy isn't he? he has changed to response 1sc and tried ref 8s too. Coudln't really make his mind up as to which.

7. Gromit

julian2002 Muper Soderator

if you've got the cable plugged into the bass (usually the lower) terminal of the speakers try plugging it into the treble terminal. also i'm not sure what your speakers use as jumpers between the 2 terminals but they use the standard gold plated metal strips then it's worth getting some small lengths of decent wire to replace them. you could alternatively try a 'shotgun connection at the speaker end which is basicly contriving to connect the same bit of wire to both bass and treble terminals either by stripping some of the wire off before the banana plug and connecting the bare wire to the terminal or soldering another piece of wire with another banana plug on it to the existing wire and plugging both in.
    imho bi wiring is a bit of a scam for very little improvement 99% of which can be had from decent jumpers or shotgunning.
    if you are desperate to change your speaker wire then i'd suggest waiting until you've saved enough for some townshend isolda. it's not cheap but it sounds bloody good to me. in the 10-15 ukp p/m range you could try chord odyssey2 it's ok but a bit bright for me.

cheers

julian

julian2002, May 11, 2004
  8. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Yup - chatting to him yesterday he was saying how he's not 100% sure about the Responses. Shame the Ref 8's were in cherry - had they been in maple (Missus' choice!) I'd have been going home with them, no doubt. :)

Julian - thanks for the tip, I'll certainly give that a try. I've about 1m of Rumour each side to spare (it'd still give loads of slack) so I'll do a bit of splicing later today. :)

Cheers,

Richard.

Gromit, May 11, 2004
  9. Gromit

Curt

You could give DNM Reson speaker cable a go.
    That should tighten up the bass and is a very good cable for the price £6.95 a meter.
    Whats the rest of your kit and what IC's are you using?
    Also as the guys said try moving the speakers about a bit, toe in, toe out, etc

Curt

Curt, May 11, 2004
  10. Gromit

Lt Cdr Data om

actually gromit, he wasn't too keen on the birds eye bit psychedelic both he and i preferred the cherry but a bit common. yew, thats' more like it:)

11. Gromit

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I'm unconvinced by chord rumour for the money. You can buy similar (actually slightly bigger gauge) silver-plated copper + PTFE wire from farnell for 80p per meter. You need to use several pieces, which makes it up to about £3.20 to self-build similar to rumour 4 (£1.60 similar to rumour 2). This is actually what I'm using, and it's good. It's different to my Tara labs... not better, not worse. Just different strengths and weaknesses (and suits my system better).

I-S, May 11, 2004
  12. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Curt - I've just run them with a length of my old Cable Talk Concert stuff - certainly a bit clearer, and though perhaps brighter and more 'incisive' the tweeter 'spit' has virtually vanished. Shame I had to sit the amp and turntable in the middle of the room for the cables to reach :D

Bass is still really overblown and is muddying the sound; I'm really beginning to think I can't create enough space in my room for them. A real shame.

I'm using a Gyro (latest spec inc HR psu) with RB300/technoweight, AT-OC30 (a bass-light cartridge in itself), Trichord Dino/Kimber Silver Streak i/c, Exposure X and Chord Rumour cable. ProAcs on ProAc 4-pillar stands (the ones made for them by Target) filled with Atabites.

Lt Cdr D - had to have maple unfortunately; all our hi-fi furniture is maple Quadraspire stuff so in the interests of marital bliss etc...

Gromit, May 11, 2004
  13. Gromit

Lt Cdr Data om

kick yer bird out and keep the hifi:D

actually, true bird story, next door, the poor single male has had a gal move in wi' im, and she has made him shift his display of toy cars(sad I know) out of the hall into the loft.

bit much IMO as it is his house...that is way overstepping the mark, and is a display of intent and dominance. ie. this is going to be MY home, and if its not womanly neat tidy, no male junk around etc....

14. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

LOL :D Scary too. :eek:

Been thinking (been v quiet today) about the small-guage silvered copper cables v good ol'fashioned multi-strand stuff. My Cable Talk cable's more like the latter and to my ears definitely sounds better - less harsh but actually 'brighter'. More get up and go without the splashiness of the silvery stuff. Even more noticable when the Sugden's heating up the wires.

I'm going to look into this further. Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Gromit, May 12, 2004
  15. Gromit

penance Arrogant Cock

Gromit, check yer PM's :)

penance, May 12, 2004
Ask a Question