Recommend some Jazz... ?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by thespirit3, Aug 3, 2004.

1. thespirit3

thespirit3

Hi All,

I'm in a weird position at the moment - I know I *really* like some jazz - but I also hate a lot too. In ye olde days, I used to surf mp3.com for hours, picking out the artists I liked... but since mp3.com died a death, I've now forgotten those artists I like - and have no easy method of 'rediscovering' them (especially as most were largely unheard of in the commercial sense).

I like jazz centered around strings - there's nothing like the sound of a piano and double bass. I really can't tolerate brass, it makes me want to poke my own eyes out with a blunt spoon. I enjoy reasonably structured music - I'm happy with (and enjoy) improvisation, but I don't get the complete randomness that things sometimes descend into. I don't like Miles Davis, as a) it's all centered around brass and b) it's just too random for my liking.

I remember liking some tracks by ... Oscar Petersson? Some new york big band orchestra or something? Sorry I'm useless with names. However, even with the artists I liked, I only liked a tiny section of their work.

Someone recently lent me some 'modern' stuff that I believe would loosely come under the term 'acid jazz' - but, it really didn't do anything for me.

So ... no/little brass, lots of strings, reasonably structured, and ideally well recorded ...

Anyone?

Steve

thespirit3, Aug 3, 2004
  2. thespirit3

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

What about Jimmy Smith, jazz on a hammond organ, they used one of his tracks (Organ Grinder Swing) on the old Renault Clio ads. His stuff with Wes Montgomerey (jazz guitarist) would loosely fall under your category of jazz centred around strings/pianos :).
    Another thing to try would be www.allmusic.com, and sling in a couple of the names you remember liking and see what they suggest under their similar artists section.

BL21DE3, Aug 3, 2004
  3. thespirit3

Heavymental

Hey you crazy kat. I presume you've read the 'Introduction to' thread above? Don't know if it will be of any help for what you are after although I'm sure Ian will be along soon to direct you.

Heavymental, Aug 3, 2004
  4. thespirit3

Philip King Enlightened User

Piano and Bass, OK "possibly", IMO, the best double bass player is Charlie Haden, he's done a number live sets with various piano players, the one CD you have to own is Night and City with Kenny Barron on piano.

This one album then led me to buy just about everything either of these two have played on, simple really, find something you like and then expand on that theme.

Others to think about for piano are Keith Jarrett, (albeit with some really annoying background humming by himself), The Koln Concert and The Melody at Night with you, are two good albums. Andre Previn the classical conductor has also produced a couple of CD, Live at the jazz Standard is worth a listen.

Philip King, Aug 3, 2004
  5. thespirit3

sideshowbob Trisha

If you don't like brass you'll find your choices somewhat limited :D

Piano trios are probably a good bet. Try Bill Evans, Keith Jarret's trio records as already suggested (Live at Deer Head Inn is my favourite), The Bad Plus, E.S.T., you might like some of them. Haden's duo album with Hank Jones, Steal Away, is very nice too.

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2004
    sideshowbob, Aug 3, 2004
  6. thespirit3

space cadet Far out...

I saw Esbjörn Svensson Trio (E.S.T) a little while back, and they were very good players. Piano, double bass and drums, I think you'd like them. Personally I prefer a bit of brass, but hey...

space cadet, Aug 3, 2004
  7. thespirit3

robs

So that's what E.S.T stands for - I think they were on BBC4 London Jazz Festival a couple of months ago - I thought they were great - skinheads on speed playing like maniacs!! Fantastic stuff - now I can go find some!

robs, Aug 3, 2004
  8. thespirit3

sideshowbob Trisha

That sounds a bit more like The Bad Plus than EST.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 3, 2004
  9. thespirit3

robs

I think I'm sure it was EST(!) - I had ESP in my mind though - should have written it down ..they were mean looking skinheads, playing great tunes!

robs, Aug 3, 2004
  10. thespirit3

sideshowbob Trisha

It could be, EST have a couple of hairless members :D:

[​IMG]

The Bad Plus, OTOH, look like this:

[​IMG]

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 3, 2004
  11. thespirit3

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I saw the bad plus on jools holland. They were great.

This kind of music really should be live :)

I like EST. If you buy an album I'd reccomend 'strange place for snow'. Failing that, their live album, but strange place for snow is my favorite.

Chris.

bottleneck, Aug 3, 2004
  12. thespirit3

robs

Definately EST!! - maybe not so mean looking after all!! I remember searching on eBay at the time & coming up with.....nothing...
    Thanks Bottleneck, I'll see if I can track down the 'snow' album.

robs, Aug 3, 2004
  13. thespirit3

sideshowbob Trisha

Just noticed EST's London Jazz Festival gig is on Jazz on 3 this Friday (Radio 3 11.30pm), and Dave Holland at the Barbican (good gig, I was there).

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 3, 2004
  14. thespirit3

robs

Good news!! So...... how do I go about recording it? Do I have to dig out the instructions for the minidisc, or is it possibleto record direct from Radio 3 off the web & burn to CD. Never having done the latter, any ideas!? It's a while since I recorded anything off the radio (onto tape!).
    Have found 'snow on eBay, but only in the US - maybe I'll stump up for a new copy!

robs, Aug 3, 2004
  15. thespirit3

thespirit3

Thanks for all your replies ... it's certainly given me some good recommendations to listen to. I realise the 'not liking brass' limits my selection somewhat - but, I have yet to hear any brass instruments that don't provoke severe levels of angryness (is that a word?). I just can't see anything 'musical' in brass, it's harsh, peircing - in fact, almost migraine inducing. That's just my personal opinion of course :p

Steve

thespirit3, Aug 4, 2004
  16. thespirit3

Graham C

Brass often doesn't record well, overloading mics and everything. It's much nicer live.
    Bill Evans is a piano god, but he can be a bit highbrow if you just need a happy mood.
    I'd say try some guitar based like
    Joe Pass - Catch me
    Or for piano
    Errol Garner - Concert by the sea

Graham C, Aug 4, 2004
  17. thespirit3

joel Shaman of Signals

I can understand that.
    Brass is often very badly recorded.
    For an example of how gorgeous it can sound try this:
    [​IMG]
    this is on alpha productions and has the most beautiful recording of brass I think I've ever heard (and what's more it's on CD). Not jazz, but there you go.

If that doesn't grab you, here are a few jazz albums sans brass I don't think anyone has mentioned yet (surprisingly):
    Bud Powell - The Scene Changes Blue Note 4009
    Mal Waldron Trio - Mal/4 Prestige 8208
    Thelonious Monk - Alone in San Francisco Riverside 12-312
    Red Garland Trio - Groovy Prestige LPR-8881
    Horace Silver Trio (with Art Blakey) - Blue Note 5018, 5034
    Kenny Drew - Dark Beauty Steeplechase 45S104

There are more...

joel, Aug 4, 2004
  18. thespirit3

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Robs,

just go to www.amazon.co.uk and type in - strange place for snow - in the search box, its there.

If you want it cheap, click on ''used and new'' and you'll see foreign imports and second hand stock from various amazon sellers. There is one in the USA for 3.99 plus p&p (probably extra 2.00 or so).

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Aug 4, 2004
  19. thespirit3

space cadet Far out...

That's perhaps why it appeals to me, I don't really know. But I do like a lot of harsh music (some of what is probably stretching the term 'music'). Current fave is a lovely japanese lady who goes by the name of Sachiko M whose instrument of choice is an empty sampler, ie sine wave test signals. Sometimes the tones are so high and piercing it makes you feel kinda funny. Check out some of her collaborations on Erstwhile Records

space cadet, Aug 6, 2004
  20. thespirit3

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Hey guys, technically the sax is a wind instrument and not a brass one, so how about some Rollins, Brubeck with Mulligan, Charlie Parker, Lester Young. The list is endless.

How about guitar trio's? Grant Green and Wes Montgomery are probably the most lyrical.

As for EST (Esbjorn Svenson Trio) I took some along to a bake off once. The first chord rang out, the host said 'Oh plinky jazz' got up, walked out followed by just about everyone else. Their loss I say.

LiloLee, Aug 7, 2004
Ask a Question