recommend speakers please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bludclot, Sep 6, 2010.

1. bludclot

bludclot

i currently have jamo gf25 speakers. great bass extension and very loud, both of which i like, but they don't have the quality of my acoustic research 112 bookshelves in my second system.

what would be good for my main system please?

'limited to ebay bargains' would be my budget, i'm handy at repairing/modifying so they don't necessarily have to be mint.

how would linn kabars sound? would they give sufficient bass extension to match my jamos?

i have a pair of richard allan dimension 3s but never really gelled with them. they could be recalled from loan and sold to increase funds a little if necessary.

bludclot (artatak)

bludclot, Sep 6, 2010
  2. bludclot

RobHolt Moderator

Whats the rest of the system and what is the max for budget?

RobHolt, Sep 6, 2010
  3. bludclot

bludclot

i am on page 72 of 'show us your kit.'

budget wise i am not rich, i have 55 in my paypal account and wouldn't want to go more than double that, hence the 'ebay bargain' route.

bludclot, Sep 7, 2010
  4. bludclot

Tenson Moderator

Don't worry Rob can find you something, he has a house full of eBay bargain speakers that don't sound half bad ;)

Tenson, Sep 7, 2010
  5. bludclot

RobHolt Moderator

13 pairs and counting :)

RobHolt, Sep 7, 2010
  6. bludclot

Thom PC

Well, Linn Kabers are excellent speakers. However,
    - I doubt you'll find a set for less than 200-300 GBP (all dependent on age, specs, and condition, though)
    - I have no idea what their bass response is like compared to your existing speakers. My experience with Kabers is that they are probably a bit lean in the bottom - which I happen to prefer. Much rather an even and controlled bottom end than boomy bass all over the place
    - Kabers can be rather system dependent, although in my experience they will work with something like a Nait 2, on the precondition that the room is not too large, and sound pressure levels are low to moderate.

Thom

Thom PC, Sep 9, 2010
  7. bludclot

RobHolt Moderator

As above, if you can find Kabers, great but with a budget at £100 or so that isn't likely.

I'd suggest waiting until you can afford around £200 as that will open the possibilities to some decent floorstanders such as the Mission 752 & 753 or perhaps something like the Rega Jura or Linn Kelidh.

Good stand mount speakers at £150-200 would be Epos ES11 and ES12 and perhaps the Mission 751. You might well get the latter within the £100 budget and they are excellent, but you'll need some stands to raise them around 50cm.

RobHolt, Sep 9, 2010
  8. bludclot

Cable Monkey

tdl rtl studio series. Blighted by the reputation of the modern offerings these go cheaply and I can think of few better for ease of driving and lots of bass.

Cable Monkey, Sep 9, 2010
  9. bludclot

Pete The Cat

Another vote for Mission 752s (Freedom). Gorgeous mid and treble. They have their critics for being lean on bass although I think they're fine when positioned to suit, which is a consideration for most speakers anyway. They go for about £120 a pair. I opted for some a couple of years back to plug a gap when I couldn't find anything new for £500-£750 that was great all round, and have stopped thinking about getting new speakers now.

Pete

Pete The Cat, Sep 10, 2010
  10. bludclot

Nibbles

I'd have to second the RTL3 or rarer TDL Studio series, but then I like a fuller range speaker that doesn't roll off so early in the bass a la Mission etc.

But then back in the day I preferred a TDL RTL3 to a Mission 753, not to mention (back in the day) keeping the money saved for a fairly decent amp.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
    Nibbles, Sep 11, 2010
  11. bludclot

andyoz

Get some 3-way Jamo's :)

What about some of the older Tannoy's like these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tannoy-speake...omeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3cb0adbd61

I'm sure the dud bass driver isn;t a big issue to get a replacement?? Not really up to speed with all their old models but my brother-in-law has a pair of these and always strike me as sounding nice.

Also, just as a wildcard, what do these sound like (Seller has incorrectly called them AMP, I always wanted some of the larger APM-66ES 3-ways :cool:): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190440276463&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
    andyoz, Sep 11, 2010
  12. bludclot

RobHolt Moderator

Whoever won those Sony APMs got a fantastic bargain.

£24!!

Guess the name and looks put people off, but that's a seriously good and well made speaker with very advanced drivers.

RobHolt, Sep 12, 2010
  13. bludclot

bludclot

well, that's a bargain for sure, but so is this:

monitor audio

i've contacted the guy to pick them up, no response as yet so i may have to pay the postage. i've had a pair of these before, they worked very well in a small system. they'll go into the second system in my garage i think to replace my ar112 bookshelves. i'll be giving those and my rotel ra-820b to a young lad that i know, he wants to play his laptop based music collection through them. seeing as the ar112s were £16 and the amp £8 it would seem churlish to ask him for any money.

that still leaves me with main system speakers - there's some cracking suggestions above this post so many thanks. i like the ides of the rtl3 floorstanders, also i've been watching some acoustic energy ae109 floorstanders, they ended up fetching £10.50:

i've also been contacted by my long term loan richard allan owner and he's replaced them with something so they'll come back in the next few days, i'll post a picture and a review, maybe they'll be what i'm after.

bludclot.

bludclot, Sep 13, 2010
  14. bludclot

andyoz

Just looked at the images more closely and the bass drivers have some marks/dings and I assume there were no grilles. Still cool for a knockabout second system though.

andyoz, Sep 13, 2010
Ask a Question