Recommendation - bi amping setup for triamp speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by denney10, Nov 26, 2007.

1. denney10

denney10

Hi

Looking for advice.

I have PMC OB1 speakers which are bi amped with one amp driving the treble which is then connected to the midrange driver with a jumper cable and the other amp drives the base.

Is this the best way to do it or is it better to connect the speaker cable to the midrange and just jump to the treble or is there no significant difference?

Thanks

denney10, Nov 26, 2007
  2. denney10

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

No experience, but that would be my way of doing it.

You could if you wanted, biwire the treble and mid range from one amp.

My only other thought would be to buy another amp, and triamp !

Levi_501, Nov 27, 2007
  3. denney10

rollo

I would connect cable to midrange and use jumpers to tweeter. Give it a try and listen it wouldn't hurt. If your going to Tri amp use the same amps.

rollo

rollo, Nov 27, 2007
  4. denney10

demandcurve

In my days (about 3 years ago!) the words of the wise were that when bi-amping the treble needed the better amp, which would suggest one amp just to cope with the treble and the other for the base + mid-range.

As has been said earlier, try it: if your ears can't discern a difference then the difference isn't worth worrying about.

Just my 2p worth!

Tony

demandcurve, Nov 28, 2007
  5. denney10

anon_bb Honey Badger

The best way with PMC is to triamp ;)

anon_bb, Nov 28, 2007
  6. denney10

shrink

the best balance to my ears was always to use one amp for mid and treble and one for bass. This improved midband resolution, as the amplifier creating all the bass wasnt straining to do that and create a defined midrange.

There are also logical reasons for doing it... it takes as much power to go from 20hz to 100hz as it does to run 100hz up... so its the bass thats taking ALL the power. Makes more sense to spread the load across a couple of amps rather than gathering bass and midrange up on one amp, giving the other an easy time.

I used to run triwireable speakers (epos ES30) with four audiolab monoblocks. and i ran it in this way.. with one set of monoblocks for mid and treble and one for bass. Brought out better grip in the bass too.

shrink, Nov 28, 2007
Ask a Question