Recommended Mono Power Amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RIPit, Jan 28, 2010.

1. RIPit

RIPit Don't Fear The RIPer

Esteemed contributors. If you had a budget of around £5K what would you recommend from the mono power amp world? They have to have Balanced inputs (I am not buying more cables!) and work with my Wilson Benesch ACTs (which are unlikely to ever leave). I am considering having a listen to the Electrocompaniet AW180 and the Bel Canto Ref 1000. I have a Bel Canto Pre2P.
    I have always liked the idea of owning a beautiful looking valve amp, so I would consider your suggestions in this area as well.
    Thanks for your help.

RIPit, Jan 28, 2010
  2. RIPit

Fen Dancer Two left feet

A couple that spring to mind are Bryston 7Bsst and Boulder 850, which should be around that price point second hand. Both are smooth and neutral. Consonance do some good looking and well reviewed valve monoblocks as well at different power outputs.

Fen Dancer, Jan 28, 2010
  3. RIPit

per flemming

If you could accept a lower budget, leaving money for matching preamp/cabling:
    NVA A80/P90
    no remote or blink blink
    Seem they have some statements too

per flemming, May 7, 2010
  4. RIPit

Colin2040

If you can get two I seem to remember Graaf om 20 can be monblocked.Would sound superb

Colin2040, May 7, 2010
  5. RIPit

DrMartin

DrMartin, May 7, 2010
  6. RIPit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

why balanced? do you have a balanced cd player and a balanced pre-amp?

most amps with balanced outputs / sources with balanced outs aren't ''really'' balanced . Some are.

If you suffer from noise or have very long cables , I understand it's helpful. There are few valve amps I'd reccomend that are balanced. It would be a shame to dismiss products on that basis.

Lastly 'mono' - why mono?

monoblocks means of course seperate power supplies. If this is important to you, many amp makers do this again in a single box. Do you have another reason for wanting monoblocks? Again, this would limit choices.

For example, the excellent Border Patrol range (as one example) is neither balanced nor mono blocks, but excellent nevertheless.

NB
    I do no have/own/sell Border Patrol amps.

bottleneck, May 7, 2010
  7. RIPit

Hamilton

I'd second the Brystons SSTs. They work very well with W-B's, and the ACTs need a lot of oomph to really sing. And there's the 20 year guarantee.

Hamilton, May 10, 2010
  8. RIPit

RobsterD

Hi,unashamed plug I have some Allnic A5000 mono 300B amps that I'm selling,25w output,balanced and singled ended.I used a Bel Canto Pre3 with them successfully for awhile.
    Whereabouts are you in Surrey happy to demo if not too far,I'm in Southampton.
    Regards
    Rob

RobsterD, May 19, 2010
Ask a Question