REcommended preamp for a Quad 405-2?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by vincula, Apr 3, 2012.

1. vincula

vincula

Hi guys,

Since I remember there are some users here, I'd like to hear about your recommendations regarding a matching preamp to a Quad 405-2, either by Quad or other brands. I'm a vnyl lover, so a nice phono stage's always a pleasant add. Just keep it affordable...

Thanks in advance:)!

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Apr 3, 2012
  2. vincula

RobHolt Moderator

From the Quad stable both the 34 and 44 will work well. Look for later grey models with RCA outputs.
    The 66 would also be fine as the circuits are essentially those of a 34 coupled to more advanced switching.
    Both 34 & 44 have a good inbuilt phono stage which can be adapted to suit a particular cartridge as the stage sits on a plug in card. Various cards spring up regularly on auction sites.

The 405 is sensitive at 500mv for full output. That means many pre amps might seem a bit loud and require the volume control position to sit more towards the low end.

Other than that there are no special requirements and the input load conditions are benign.

Passive also works pretty well with the older Quad amps.

RobHolt, Apr 3, 2012
  3. vincula

vincula

Thanks, Rob. I'm particularty interested in this approach, a passive with at least 4 inputs and perhaps with a stepped attenuator... Do you know what relation would be the best for a passive pre matched to the Quad? Any affordable candidates you'd recommend?

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Apr 5, 2012
  4. vincula

RobHolt Moderator

RobHolt, Apr 5, 2012
  5. vincula

Cable Monkey

The sensitivity issue can be dealt with easily enough although obviously that makes it less suited to its stable mates. The 405 does work well with passives though and I used a switched resistor and autoformer style passive with no ill effects.

Just looking at my sig and the Quad has gone so I'll have to change that!

Cable Monkey, Apr 5, 2012
  6. vincula

felix part-time Horta

+1 to a simple passive pre. I made one years ago and used it with a modded 405-2, and it was a very happy pairing.

It's easy DIY if you fancy a go. All you need is a a suitable stereo logarithmic pot (a standard 22Kohm one is a very nice compromise for various reasons, and works fine with the 405 providing you don't want to run more than a metre or three of cable from the the passive to the 405), and a 2-pole, 4-way switch, and a case. After that it's just some simple wiring and your time.

ETA frankly those Deco units Rob links to look good value, esp. if you don't fancy DIY.

felix, Apr 6, 2012
  7. vincula

vincula

These ones look nice, and price seems right as well...

http://www.khozmo.com/index.html

I was also considering borrowing my friends Croft Micro and try it with the QUAD 405-2. Kind of a passive pre too, isn't it? Or is it just too crazy...

Regards,

Vincula

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
    vincula, Apr 7, 2012
  8. vincula

RobHolt Moderator

The Micro is active and a very good pre amp. One thing to watch with valve pre amps is high output impedance but you'll be ok with the 405 so long as you stick to short coax interconnects.

RobHolt, Apr 7, 2012
  9. vincula

dubman23

Hi,I used a pair of Quad 405's biamping Castle Chester speakers for years and used various preamps inc. Quad 33,Cyrus; and a Moth 30 pre.I also had a Moth 30 passive which I loved and a PS Audio dual mono passive which I still use with a modded 405 as a second system.Gorgeous natural sound but I had to use attenuators to lower the dB output - not a problem to find though.Also,keep those interconnects short !Mark.

dubman23, May 12, 2012
Ask a Question