Record clamps/weights

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JackOTrades, May 2, 2007.

1. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Hi all,

I was wondering what you make of these things... generally speaking, do you use them? Recommend any make or material in particular?

I have one and I might be fantasising but I notice a small difference on records that have some kind of warp. On flat records I can't hear any difference...

One thing I notice: metal big ones attract MC cartridges when they run out of groove... does this happen to you as well? Any way of avoiding it?

Cheers,
    jack

JackOTrades, May 2, 2007
  2. JackOTrades

Dick Bowman

When the turntable is intended to be used with a clamp/weight I'd tend to use it that way (example - the slight platter dishing of the Gyrodec). On the other hand - if the manufacturer isn't fussed, then nor am I.

Plonking a heavy weight over the spindle doesn't feel like the smartest idea - it's in the wrong place to help much with the flywheel effect - it may change the dynamics of the motor/stylus drag relationship - extra mass may not prolong bearing life.

But I would suggest that if the weight's attracting the cartridge you replace it with something non-ferrous sooner rather than later.

Dick Bowman, May 2, 2007
  3. JackOTrades

keith

I have found a useful compromise - a clamp that is built of acrylic + sorbothane (see 'E-Bum'). Damps everything without being metal. Works on an 'Ariston' sprung-based.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, May 2, 2007
Ask a Question