Record Cleaners

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Samantha, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Samantha

Samantha

How does the Okkie Nokkie compare with Moth and VPI?

Just wondering as if I decide to take the plunge, I really don't want to spend much. They do seem to really only offer a platter and wet vacuum compared with the antistat which I already have. In fact, would a wet hand vac be all I need to add to the antistat? ;)

Samantha, Jul 3, 2008
  2. Samantha

DavidF

Samantha

I remember the guys from audio excellence in cardiff saying (many years ago now) the best way of cleaning records is to play them.

If you have the same anti static cleaner similar to mine...do you need any thing else?

I know not very one gets on the them.

DavidF, Jul 3, 2008
  3. Samantha

lbr monkey boy

I wouldn't be without mine. I find that my records only need doing once, but if you have a dirty records from a second hand stall or eBay, a proper wet vacuum cleaner is the only way I have found of getting them clean.

I haven't used the Okki, but they all work pretty much the same way and I'm sure it will be fine. I currently have a VPI (17) and have previously had a Moth. Both are good machines.

lbr, Jul 3, 2008
  4. Samantha

Samantha

I think I agree with you - I just keep getting mates who have been vinyl heads longer than me saying that with the amount of records I have now bought, I should get something that is quicker and drys ......

I tend to use the antistat (not often) by doing 20+ records in a sitting - so I fill the rack then take a break waiting to ensure they are fully dry before I empty the rack and do the next batch.

I bought a huge collection and am keeping half, selling off the rest - most are EXs and don't need a clean, but some are dusty and the worst ones have some clicks/pops that I wonder whether cleaning would remedy.

I am certainly not looking to buy now, but worth haing the discussion (especially given recent comments that it is a tad quiet around here) ...... ;)

Samantha, Jul 3, 2008
  5. Samantha

Andy 831

Sam

Trust me its the best thing I every bought in Hi Fi terms.

If you can accomaodate one, and you intend to continue buying second hand vinyl then in my opinion they are an essential.

I had a Disco antistatic and in comparison to the Okki ...well there is no comparison its that simple.

Yeah I am sure there are lads on here and other fora who swear by their antistatic, but I would sooner do without than have to use on again.

Richard (Lordsummit) has a moth for sale at the moment, it looks a bit of a bargain to me particularly if I was to collect it for you and bring it across for our sesh :)

Andy

Andy 831, Jul 3, 2008
  6. Samantha

Shuggie

I have the Clearaudio Smart Matrix, which is pretty much an Okki Nokki with a lid, and it's worth every penny. I had a Disco Antistat cleaner before, and there is really no comparison against a wet/vacuum cleaning machine, eg it actually does clean the records and does not leave any residue; and it's quick. Records almost always sound better after a good clean, including those previously cleaned with the Antistat. I have LPs which were previously in the 'junk' pile, and are now completely without surface noise, after cleaning with L'Art du Son solution. Go for it - at the price you won't find a better vinyl upgrade and you'll rediscover your lost vinyl collection.

Shuggie, Jul 3, 2008
  7. Samantha

lbr monkey boy

ooh that's a purty one

never tried that solution myself. Do you reckon it's worth the money? Have you compared it against straight forward solutions?

lbr, Jul 3, 2008
  8. Samantha

Shuggie

I've only tried it against the stuff that Clearaudio supplied with the machine, which is an alcohol based solution (the L'Art du Son solution is water based). Unless I am completely mad, I am convinced that records sound better after cleaning with it, in comparison with the Clearaudio stuff. At the end of the day, I cannot be arsed with DIY solutions when this stuff costs pence few per cleaning session. So, yes it is worth the money - it just looks expensive until you see how far the concentrate goes.

Shuggie, Jul 3, 2008
  9. Samantha

dudywoxer Regaholic

The Okki is a noisy thing in use, (domestic vacuum level), but it is probably the best upgrade my vinyl system has had. Decent condition albums benefit from a clean, used purchases from charity s/hand shops are often so improved its hard to believe. I use the art du son fluid, about 4ml of the diluted fluid per side, after cleaning pop them into a Covers 33 polylined inner, and thats pretty much it. It removes the grunge, takes away a lot of the static pop's (not all) and just in general makes playing vinyl a even more pleasurable experience.

Keep both the undiluted and diluted cleaning mix in a dark spot though.
    ________
    Petite Webcam

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Jul 3, 2008
  10. Samantha

DavidF

so ar ew saying the disco anti stat is complete cr*p?

If so, why?

It cleaned prettywell for me when ilast used it....

DavidF, Jul 4, 2008
  11. Samantha

Shuggie

Because it does not rinse off the cleaning solution - it just dries in place. The resulting dried crud ends up clogging the stylus. The Antistat does a superficially good job of cleaning really filthy LPs, but a record cleaned with a wet/vacuum machine always sounds better. Cleaning with the Antistat is also a slow and laborious process in comparison with the Okki Nokki or Smart Matrix.

You seem to be happy with your Antistat, but I'm sure you'd change your mind if you heard one of your LPs after cleaning with a wet/vacuum machine - I did.

Shuggie, Jul 4, 2008
  12. Samantha

DavidF

Depends how you do it, surely?!

It does if you change the water.

I don't dispute it was laborious....no question.

It was effective though as i remember.

I think to say its not is possibly slightly inaccurate

HOw much are they though?

Intersting, its not like audo exellence to peddle something completely useless.

is the wet/vacuum machine a newer idea?

nah, you guys just weren't doing it properly......;)

Like I say I got pretty good results.

I agrre you need to be thorough though.

DavidF, Jul 4, 2008
  13. Samantha

dudywoxer Regaholic

I went from a disco antistat to a Okki, and would not want to go back.

Both systems require a bit of operator thought, but the Okki cleans more throughly, and cleans to dry. The Disco, no matter what I did as the operator, always left some residue that the styles fetched out. The Okki is around ?250
    ________
    Vaporizer Info

dudywoxer, Jul 4, 2008
  14. Samantha

DavidF

That explains something.

Each to there own......its good that your so enthusiastic about vinyl.

I'm very pleased to hear it

DavidF, Jul 4, 2008
  15. Samantha

bastlnut

hallo,

i use a Nitty Gritty, one of the better models, and have for ages.
    this is my second one, as the last one finally died after 15+ years.
    having the grunge vacuumed away is the best methode for quite records.
    it does cost a bit more, the machine, but for that quality and more than 15 years of service....
    makes it a bargain in my book!

regards,
    bastlnut

bastlnut, Jul 4, 2008
  16. Samantha

dudywoxer Regaholic

I, like many others have a collection of vinyl put together over the years, and regard ?250, although expensive in ''for what it is terms''
    as a fair price to pay to keep my records in good condition, and to restore the s/hand purchases I will continue to make,
    ________
    Roll Blunts

dudywoxer, Jul 4, 2008
  17. Samantha

lbr monkey boy

I walked into an audio excellence store many moons ago (Cardiff or Bristol IIRC) had a quick look round and asked the sales assistant who approached me if he had an amplifiers in stock which were not solid state. The response, I remember to this day, "What's solid state?".

I didn't hang around to explain.

lbr, Jul 5, 2008
  18. Samantha

Joolsburger

I use a KAB EV1 cleaner. $150 from the states so around £100 all in with some spare velvet things for the slot (which are a separate item). Connect to any cleaner and away you go, which in my case means I can use my Miele cleaner which is very quiet - most of the cleaners with a built in vacumn are not.

I recently bought some le art du son which works well but the stuff the KAB comes with is fine too.

I had a disco antistat and it's very true that it leaves load of gunk on the records which all transfers to your stylus.

Vacumn is the way to go and the KAB is the cheapest out there unless you can find one second hand.

However if your expecting silent vinyl afterwards you'll be disappointed, noise is definately reduced especially static but those persistent pops and so on will still be there. The main bonus is reduced stylus wear and less fluff build up.

Joolsburger, Jul 5, 2008
  19. Samantha

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Vacumn is the way to go and the KAB is the cheapest out there unless you can find one second hand.

No, you can make your own like I did for £30, including buying a working turntable and vac to base it on. It isn't rocket science and there's loads out there on the net to guide you.

What is it with you guys and static? I've never had a problem with it in 30 years. I don't know what a static pop/crack is.

Bob McC, Jul 5, 2008
  20. Samantha

lbr monkey boy

static isn't a problem for me per se, but I definitely find that a statically charged record attracts dust and the dust is a problem.

lbr, Jul 5, 2008
Ask a Question