Record Cleaning Brews

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jtc, Mar 11, 2004.

1. jtc

jtc

Hi folks.

I have a VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine. I've been using the VPI concentrate, making up RCF to a mix of 1/3 isopropyl alcohol, 2/3 reverse osmosis double de-ionised water (really!) aka gallon bottle from the pharmacy, and a squirt of the concentrate together with just a smidgeon of Jessops Econoflow surfactant.

However, I'm now out of the VPI concentrate, and almost out of the fancy water (which is cheap enough) and I'm also thinking the VPI brush is looking somewhat bedraggled too.

So, has anyone any experience of third party concentrates, such as Bugtussel, Disc Doctor, etc., and any recommendations for concentrate 'brews'? Anything that I can make myself - I'm guessing that the concentrates must be available in some domestic form without the high 'audio' premium, but not being a chemist I don't know how to find out any more.

Lastly, any recommendations for a replacement hand-held record cleaning brush - something that is able to extract the maximum muck out of those grooves? I wondered about toothbrushes - but I don't know if that's a route worth pursuing or not...

Ta,

jtc

jtc, Mar 11, 2004
  2. jtc

tones compulsive cantater

3. jtc

penance Arrogant Cock

i use 1 part iso alchohol to 10 deionised water with a tiny drop of salt free detergent. works OK for me.

penance, Mar 11, 2004
Ask a Question