rega 300 arm 'rip-off'

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by keith, Jan 17, 2006.

1. keith

keith

Hi folks.

Last eve, a friend brought his newly-bought Michell Mycro / Rega 300 round, for me to set up the new Ortofon MC15-11 cartridge. While putting it in his car (a Saab 9-3 for those who like all the detail ;) ) he ripped out the arm cable :eek: . So, what we have now is the cable with a plug-shaped section with 5 solder nodules with no colour indication, plus the ends of 5 wires, in varying states of 'rip', hanging from the arm base, looking very sorry for themselves.

Any suggestions please of a decent repair service, close to Derbyshire?

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jan 17, 2006
  2. keith

ListeningEar

Well, if it's wired with the standard Rega wire I would not lose any sleep over it as it should be high on the priority list to remove it anyway and replace with a better quality cable.

Incognito wire do a kit, it's about £125 and is a single wire run from the cartridge clips right down to the phono plugs that connect to your phono stage.

You can also buy the Cardas cable very cheap from outlets in the USA, these places also sell the plugs for the base of the arm too, them all you will need to do is source a tonearm interconnect cable that connects to the base connector on the arm to your phono stage.

Origin Live also do a re-wire service/kit but personal I would never do business with them due to a very bad experience I had with the once.

ListeningEar, Jan 17, 2006
  3. keith

Paul Ranson

The five wires should be red, white, blue, green and black. Red and green are 'right', 'hot' and 'cold', white and blue 'left', black will be an earth. You should be able to deduce from the continuity between the solder pads and the phono plugs which goes where.

Post a photo for more.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 17, 2006
  4. keith

penance Arrogant Cock

AFAIK Rega arms do not have a black/earth wire, they use the left channel cold connection.

penance, Jan 17, 2006
  5. keith

Paul Ranson

I think there's an internal wire, you've solved the problem of where to attach it.

(I have a 20 year old RB300 which I messed about with rewiring etc. I've not looked inside it for 19 years so my memory could be fuzzy re the black wire.)

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 17, 2006
  6. keith

keith

Thanks folks, but our lad wants a servicing co.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jan 17, 2006
  7. keith

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Try these guys:

http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/rewire.htm

They do the Cardas loom including fitting for £129 and charge £25 plus whatever they charge for fitting for a Rega loom. Probably worth giving a bell.

Uncle Ants, Jan 17, 2006
  8. keith

Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke, Jan 17, 2006
  9. keith

cyclonebri1

I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I assumed the lead plugged in to the arm so undid the little grub screw in the side and gave it a tug. Right result, soldered as every one else knows :SLEEP: Pulled all the wires off at the solder connector, as there is very little slack, the exception being the black earth wire that broke of 2" up the arm mount were it conects to the bearing. I was only taking it off to sell it so just stuck it straight on Ebay, fully describing damage. Still made £87 which ain't too bad, but probably cost me £50. You learn :confused:

Bri

cyclonebri1, Jan 17, 2006
  10. keith

DylanFan Returned to Vinyl!

Keith - Try Jonnie at Audio Origami - they are based in Glasgow and from my experience do a fantastic job at a reasonable price without cutting corners on the materials. Their service is second to none in my opinion and will certainly be able to re-wire your arm. I'd certainly go back again if i needed any more work doing.

DylanFan, Jan 17, 2006
Ask a Question