Rega Ara

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by June, Jun 3, 2007.

1. June

June

Hello again everybody, has anyone experienced Rega's Ara loudspeakers? Apparently they are redesigned Kytes (the cabinet design and porting configuration have been improved). Would it be worth my while changing my Kytes for a pair of Aras? I don't think the Kytes are bi-wireable, but does anyone know if the Aras can be bi-wired? (I'm not sure if bi-wiring would bring a noticeable improvement in my small listening room). I read a review which cautioned that the Aras need to be carefully system matched; I have a Linn Intek Amp - would this be a mis-match for the Aras?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2007
    June, Jun 3, 2007
  2. June

Tenson Moderator

Bi-wiring generally does very little. Bi-amping makes a difference though, and active even more (seem to remember suggesting that in the first place ;) ).

Tenson, Jun 3, 2007
  3. June

June

Ok, forget bi-wiring - thanks. I'm still intending to try active speakers, but not just yet; I fancy trying out a pair of Monitor Audio GR10's before splashing out on a pair of Mackies etc... although to be honest the Kytes sound really good with the Intek in a small room, so just how much better can it get? I've got a niggling feeling that after my many intended upgrades, and mucho $$$ later, I'll end up hankering for my original Intek/Kyte set up.

June, Jun 3, 2007
  4. June

lordsummit moderate mod

If you want to improve the Kytes, the best way is to look at your amp. If you like that sort of sound, try getting hold of something like a Naim 72 pre and a 140 power. They work amazingly well with the Kytes, and will show the Intek a clean pair of heels. I ran a smilair system for a while, and it sounds really good, much better than the Intek that I had before. The Kytes will stand up to much better stuff behind them.

lordsummit, Jun 4, 2007
  5. June

June

Thanks for that. So how much amplification are we talking here? I'm asking so that I can consider other brands with a similar magnitude of amplification to a Naim 72 / 140 combo (I've read that Naim have a love 'em or hate 'em sound, whereas I've never read anything negative about Rega's stuff :respect: )

June, Jun 4, 2007
  6. June

lordsummit moderate mod

It's a synergy thing. Naim and Rega work very well together, particularly the aforementioned bits of kit. If you buy sensibly and don't like it, you won't lose any money either. If you like what the Kytes and the Intek do, you can hardly fail to like what the Naims do. They're from the same hymn sheet so to speak. Except the Naims will make those speakers boogie like you won't believe. You may not want to believe it, but the Intek is not a patch on those Naim pre-powers. They were both pretty close to the top of the range in their day, and still sought after now. £400 should get you a good pair, the 140 is undervalued now, and I've heard tell of 72's going for silly money. Alternatively get a 32 or a 62. It'll still show the Intek a clean pair of heels.

As to alternatives, I'm not sure. I went from Naim to valves and high efficiency speakers, but that's another bucket of cod so to speak. Perhaps Exposure, DNM, something from high up the Rega food chain?

lordsummit, Jun 4, 2007
  7. June

Bob McC living the life of Riley

I'm using kytes in a 'holiday' system with a decades old Nytech CTA252XD and I'm with LS. You upgrade your amplification and your kytes will go with you!

Bob McC, Jun 4, 2007
  8. June

RobHolt Moderator

Bob and Richard are spot on. Kytes are little stunners and will reveal the benefits of improved amplification with ease. I'm getting a pair of Rega R1s this week which are effectively the Kyte Mk3 and they'll be driven by a system containing a P9 and NAP135s.

I wouldn't change to the Ara which uses the same drivers and box volume but alters the cabinet dimensions to fit current fashion, ie slim baffle and greater depth.

None of the baby and mid range Rega speakers allow bi-wiring as the crossovers are very simple and you are just throwing money away on additional cables. The larger Rega models in the current range allow bi-wiring but the intention really is for bi-amping.

RobHolt, Jun 4, 2007
Ask a Question