Rega arm service?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rsand, May 11, 2012.

1. rsand

rsand I can't feel my toes

I have a couple of problems with my RB600 arm, neither affect play but none the less probably should be sorted out.

Firstly the arm drops at the speed of gravity rather than the slow/damped speed it should. Its not a major issue I just need to lower it slowly myself.

Second issue (again with the arm lift) it doesn't lift the stylus high enough to clear the record, again I have a work around, I've added a shim of waxed card cut to shape so all is fine.

I notice I can buy a new arm lift from ebay for £20, should I just replace the old one - problem solved, or should I get the whole arm or deck serviced as there are probably other issues too?

Or just leave it as is because in use its no big deal?

rsand, May 11, 2012
  2. rsand

RobHolt Moderator

Unless the arm as been badly treated then it shouldn't need a full service. Bearings should outlast the owner in most cases :)

The fast drop issue on the lift can be cured by applying the correct damping fluid. Rega can supply this and a Rega dealer would I'm sure sort this and the height problem in about 10 minutes for a very small fee.

Sending the arm to a third party for a full service is going to be costing in the £200 area, and you'll need to resist the application of upgrades which actually aren't anything of the sort.
    OK for restoring vintage and damaged arms but not I'd suggest for a reasonably new RB600.

Speak to Rega. Contact Paul Darwin and ask his advice. Failing that try Dave Wren at Radlet Audio.

RobHolt, May 11, 2012
  3. rsand

Thanks Rob, I'll try calling Paul.

rsand, May 11, 2012
  4. rsand

Cable Monkey

I really don't see where you have snatched that figure from. Please point me in the direction of anyone who would charge that without the application of any modifications.

To the OP, Rega can sort your issues and are very reasonable, plus they will only do what you ask them to, like just about everyone else you might ask to help.

Cable Monkey, May 11, 2012
  5. rsand

Andy 831

rsand

As your fairly close to Preston, why not have a chat with Dominic Harper at Northwest Analogue, He seems very knowledgeable and technically adept at repairing and servicing tone arms.

http://northwestanalogue.weebly.com/

Andy 831, May 11, 2012
  6. rsand

speedy.steve

I'm not familiar with the R600 (pics look similar to the RB250/300), but unless they found a very different way of doing things a couple of simple tools will see you right.

For the lift damping you need
    http://www.turntablebasics.com/silicone.html

The 600,000 cst one.

I've used it on a PL-71, Rega R200 and Alfie's Fidelity Research FR64s.

The little pots usually come apart by removing from the arm mech and unscrewing top from bottom. Or you remove a grubscrew from underneath and the mech comes out and the plunger is accessible.
    All you need is to wipe off anything that is on there already and a smear of the new - the plunger does not swim in the stuff.

Adding anything like oil / grease etc. and it will sink like a stone!

Usually the height issue is just adjustment of the lift pot in the holder and you will either need a very fine screwdriver (Jewellers) for a grub screw or an hex / allen key.

speedy.steve, May 11, 2012
  7. rsand

RobHolt Moderator

It's the ballpark figure for an Audio Origami full service - and it might or might not include certain mods as indicated in the section you didn't quote.

RobHolt, May 12, 2012
  8. rsand

Cable Monkey

So it isn't a service but a suite of modifications that include bearing checks as part of the cost. I know you may not agree with some of what is offered but at least represent the service offered fairly!

Cable Monkey, May 12, 2012
  9. rsand

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, much appreciated!

On reflection another issue is the anti skate mechanism seems flawed, its currently set to its minimum value ie the button is facing all the way to the front of the turntable. It tracks fine but when trying to balance the arm/getting it float the the pull to the left is quite strong. Is this normal? I'm new to turntables so have nothing to compare with.

rsand, May 14, 2012
  10. rsand

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Yes, that is normal (for Rega arms). It is a result of the way bias is applied and is inherent to the design.

YNMOAN, May 15, 2012
  11. rsand

Thats good news, I thought it was faulty - thanks!

rsand, May 15, 2012
Ask a Question