Rega Elys 2 output worries

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Dec 8, 2005.

1. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Greetings. First post, so hopefully this isn't a stupid question !

I run a planar 3 / elys 2 into a Creek OBH-8 phono stage.
    Output of Elys 2 = 6.8 - 7.2 mV
    Rated Input of Creek = 3.5 mV

This is a problem right ?

The Creek is specified as MM only and I've only recently realised that Rega cartridges are such high output. I was wondering if this was why I get more apparent surface noise than I expect i.e. is the input stage going 2nd order.

Opinions / guidance appreciated

John

johnfromnorwich, Dec 8, 2005
  2. johnfromnorwich

lordsummit moderate mod

Sadly surface noise is a feature of Rega carts. I ran a super bias on my P3 when I first got it, but am now running a Denon 103. The surface noise has more to do with the shape of the tip. I prefer round ones (ooh-er missus) but someone will be along shortly to disagree with me.
    Try a Denon 110. It is great apparently if you can't do MC. There's a bloke on PFM who's so confident in it's ability he offers to buy it off you if you don't like it.
    Welcome to the forum by the way:)

lordsummit, Dec 8, 2005
  3. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Thanks for the tip. I was a bit concerned about the 1.6 mV output of the Denon 110. Is this a little low for the Creek ? Or am I just being neuotic ? I'd been eyeing off the Sumiko Blue Point (2.5 mV) as an alternative.

4. johnfromnorwich

Machineman

Thank you!
    I have an Elys (on a LP12), and the terrible surface noise is forcing me to get rid, but you wouldn't believe the amount of owners who swear there is "no problem" with theirs.

Hi John,
    I am using a Naim Stageline with mine=2MV. About 11 on the dial gives me loudish.
    I guess that I will have to crank it up a bit if I go with the Denon.
    Just my opinion, but unless you like a bright sounding cart, I would forget the Sumiko and go with a Dynavector 10X5, same price and output as the Blue Point Special.

Cheers.
    MM.

Machineman, Dec 8, 2005
  5. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Interesting. To be honest, the Sumiko suggestion was a stalking horse - although it was the basic Blue Point 2 I was thinking of (£149). Dynavector looks tempting though - unless anyone else can come up with a suggestion...

Back to the Rega though. It's a real pity because I'm sitting here listening to The Books 'Lost and Safe' and musically it sounds lovely (the ebb and flow of the opening snare and banjo/guitar figures on An Animated Description of Mr Maps is a pleasure to behold, but the noise just gets intrusive - totally undermining the 'if you look after your records, they dont crackle and scrape' argument that I always use in favour of vinyl. I listened to Slint / Spiderland last night (180g pressing), the sound is huge, the music is sublime, the dynamics are extreme and the surface noise is so bad that I had to take it off.

Is this a QC issue ?

6. johnfromnorwich

Machineman

Unlikely,
    I look after my LPs, clean them on a KAB EV1 wet vacuum etc, but even brand new vinyl is noisy, and I'm not talking about mold releasing agents either, no crackling and popping on new stuff but intrusive groove roar on quiet passages.

The high output of the Rega is also a factor here. It can be a good thing, high signal to noise ratio an all that, but unfortunately, the dirt/damage, or even groove surface becomes part of the signal.
    Like Lord said earlier, the diamond is mostly to blame for the clicks and pops, it just doesn't reach past the dirt/damage on used stuff.
    The Rega Exact may have a better tip, but even with the recent price drop, (£200 now I think), I have lost interest, rather go for the Dynavector which I have heard and is almost silent.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2005
    Machineman, Dec 8, 2005
  7. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Snap. I didn't mean the vinyl. I meant the cartridges - since some people report no problem. But I'm sure the high output is part of it.

Ask a Question