Rega P25 used values/advice sought

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by steveh, Nov 6, 2004.

1. steveh

steveh

Hi everyone - I've got a Rega P25 sitting on top of my rack that hardly seems to get used anymore and that my year old twins have come perilously close to pulling off the shelf a couple of times. In the interests of their (and its) safety I'm going to have to either stick it in the cupboard for a couple of years or move it on, but I can't decide which. Wall shelf not an option for WAF/domestic harmony reasons and because the twins would still be yanking on the cable all day :rolleyes:

Questions for the vinyl gurus:

What sort of price could I realistically get for it? It's near mint except for some fine scratches on the cover from my overzealous cleaner, and it's got a Super Elys fitted. I've had a quick look through ex-dem/ebay/Hififorsale this morning but I can't see any on there to get an idea of current private sale prices - I know there's a repacement out but that looked really ugly to me.

Given that I've got a couple of hundred records I want to keep, and in a couple of years time I'll want to buy another turntable, does selling it make sense or should I just stick it in a cupboard? Are there likely to be better mid price/low high end options knocking around in 2 years time?

Cheers, Steve

steveh, Nov 6, 2004
  2. steveh

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Id stick it in a cupboard personally, unless you need the money..

bottleneck, Nov 6, 2004
  3. steveh

adam

Me too,I would keep it,it's a fine deck,was £620 new without cartridge,S/H cart won't add much to it,I would expect about £400 for a good example.

adam, Nov 6, 2004
  4. steveh

steveh

Thanks guys. I sort of agree that putting it away until the brats are older is probably the sensible option, but £400 is £400....

What do people think of the new Rega decks? I'd been toying with the thought of picking one of those (or even a P9) up used in a couple of years time once we have enough space for a child free "grown ups' room".

Cheers, Steve

steveh, Nov 6, 2004
  5. steveh

sideshowbob Trisha

Keep it, and carry on using it. After all, AFAIK people had children before CD players were invented. No doubt the kids will get bored with it soon enough.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 6, 2004
  6. steveh

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

you could always put it on a wall shelf and secure the cable to the wall with cable ties.

oops didnt see the wall shelf thing. Id persuade her. Whats wrong with a wall shelf?

If no, how about a wooden hifi cabinet with doors.

bottleneck, Nov 6, 2004
  7. steveh

dunkyboy

I'll graciously take it off your hands and won't charge you a penny for the trouble. When your twins have matured at the age of 16 I will gladly let you have it back.

:D

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 6, 2004
  8. steveh

adam

Im think you can squeeze alot out of a P25,as I own one,the next step up would be the P7,then the P9 which is quite pricey,about £2,400 then you need a good cart on top.

adam, Nov 6, 2004
Ask a Question