Rejecting items under sale of goods act

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by I-S, Jul 24, 2005.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Does anyone know what the requirements to be able to reject an item under the sale of goods act are?

I-S, Jul 24, 2005
  2. I-S

BlueMax

3. I-S

greg Its a G thing

I'll dig out the links I've saved somewhere. The issue of rejection is quite contextual if I understand it correctly. Such that you need to demonstrate prompt action to return the goods if you are disatisfied with the quality/consider it not fit for the purpose... etc.

Now the context regards rejection, in terms of how long is considered a fair delay, would depend I guess on how long it would take to determine whether the item is to be rejected.

An item of clothing for example should probably be rejected with a few days, whereas a central heating boiler (my current bane) would, in my opinion, take considerably longer to decide if it is acceptable.

You also have additional rights if you purchase the goods on or after March 31 2003 (IIRC) and have up to six years to return goods due to poor quality/not fit for purpose, depending on how long the goods would reasonably be expected to operate as expected.

I'll dig out the links with info from the horses mouth...
    G

greg, Jul 24, 2005
  4. I-S

Item in question is my washing machine, which is about 2.5 months old. The engineer had to come out to fix the door latch after three weeks, and now it's started leaking a very significant amount.

I-S, Jul 24, 2005
  5. I-S

greg Its a G thing

I think the EU legislation (ie. post March 30 2003) will help in this case.

Clearly the machine isn't fit for the purpose intended. However it's quite likely the vendor will try to arrange repair rather than refund or replace.

In my case my boiler has failed 7 times in 18 months and I am going to insist they refund to the original value as they have failed to satisfactorily determine the cause of the problem.

Regards washing machine's we get through them pretty quickly, they're built to fail after a while but three months is patking the p*ss.

greg, Jul 24, 2005
  6. I-S

BlueMax

Send them a letter with heading "Letter of Intend".

State that the washing machine faulty and it is not fit for the purpose intended.
    Add, "I hereby give give you notice that it is my intention to issue a County Court Summons agains you for the price paid plus costs, unless the washing machine is fully repaired or replaced withing the next 14 days.

Send by Recorded Delivery.

Getting legal redress for this sort of thing is not expensive or complicated though the Small Claims Court.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2005
    BlueMax, Jul 24, 2005
  7. I-S

Except that in SCC you don't get your costs paid by the other party. I have not got the money to p*ss about with this. I want a full refund (not a store credit, which they've no right to insist upon anyway) to buy another machine from another shop.

I-S, Jul 24, 2005
  8. I-S

greg Its a G thing

I dont think there's any need to get legal. You have a decent platform just on the basis of your statutory rights. Any substantial org will cooperate and their customer services dept will be fully aware of how they should respond to statements related to stat.rights.

Have a read of these...

I think stay positive, but resolute. No threats just reference to your consumer rights, how they apply in your case and what form of resolution you are seeking.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Your+Rights+When+Shopping/your+rights+buying+goods.htm

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index...tions_for_the_customer.htm#Gettingafullrefund

HTH.
    G

greg, Jul 24, 2005
  9. I-S

rsand I can't feel my toes

The manufacturer will only offer repair or replacement, a refund has to come from the shop as I understand it.

I had a dyson twin drum afair for about a year before I got so fed up with it that I was on first name terms with the repair guy! I insisted on a full refund as I had no faith in the product, dyson said they would give me a totally new machine but a refund had to come from the shop as that is who I paid the money to. The shop were very good and agreed so as a good will gesture I bought the replacement from them. And pocketed about £300 change.

Just be firm Isaac, you have only had a short while so on strong ground. It was funny walking into the shop and placing a huge pile of fluff on the counter and asking what hi thought it was then informing him it was about 20 pairs of my gf's knickers.

rsand, Jul 25, 2005
  10. I-S

Just been in to them. They have to have an engineer come out (there goes ANOTHER half-day of holiday! :mad: ) and verify that it does indeed piss all over the floor. I will have them take it away and get my money back. They said subject to that they would offer an "uplift exchange" (where the engineer brings a new one) but I have made clear that I want my money back.

I-S, Jul 25, 2005
  11. I-S

T-bone Sanchez

How many pairs?

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 25, 2005
  12. I-S

Hard to tell TBH, the machine had 2 drums that turn in oposing directions and small things like thongs (not mine!!) were getting lost between them, over time these mounted up and were only retrived as a mangled mess when the engineer came to find out why it had ripped the sleeve off my new shirt, it also destroyed many of her underwired bra's

rsand, Jul 25, 2005
  13. I-S

Isaac I also slipped in something about trading standards, always worth a mention ;)

rsand, Jul 25, 2005
  14. I-S

BlueMax

hmmmm...
    Sound like they are out of phase.
    Have you tried swapping the leads around?
    What cable are you using?

:JPS:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2005
    BlueMax, Jul 25, 2005
  15. I-S

I've just confirmed that it does leak... on the spin it shook out some water that I think was left over from the last time. It's when it's on the drying cycle that it starts to pee all over the place.

This is the real throwaway society. That people expect that a washing machine should need an extended warranty! In my opinion it should last 10 years before a breakdown... especially when you're paying hundreds of pounds for it. It's pathetic... </rant>

I-S, Jul 25, 2005
  16. I-S

greg Its a G thing

I quite agree. There are many products which have evolved due to market expectations to be highly engineered, extremely reliable and cost effective - look at CPU's.

It p*sses me off that manufacturers get away with producing washing machines with fewer and fewer metal components and with a life expectancy of 18 monts to 2.5 years.

Take the electrolux group have bought up several companies and all their products across the various brands are much of a muchness - including AEG who were previously considered solid.

We've tried several including AEG, Zanussi, Bosch, etc. No real difference IME. I have set my hopes on Miele when we need to replace again, though they are pricey.

Admittedly we put through 2 to 3 full loads per day, but nevertheless I expect 5 years of trouble-free service minimum. We usually get 2 years.

greg, Jul 25, 2005
  17. I-S

BlueMax

Assuming that they are not demanding extra dosh for "uplift exchange" and that you still need a washing machine, would it not be simpler all around to take this option?

The leak is probably a production and not a design fault. So all should be well the replacement.

BlueMax, Jul 26, 2005
  18. I-S

bluemax - I've already had the machine fixed for another production fault. I have no faith whatsoever in their QA if this is also a production fault. How many production faults are there? How many will occur once the warranty period is up?

Quite simply, no. I will not play that game. This machine has already cost me a day of my yearly holiday allowance waiting for people to come and fix it. That's too much.

I-S, Jul 26, 2005
  19. I-S

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I got through 3 washing machines in 3 months - 2 Hoovers (bags of shit) and a Bosch (noisy, but I wasn't wasting any more of my leave).

My housemate has got a Servis (cheap as chips) which works well.

Don't get me started on throwaway culture - this world's already screwed enough without companies helping by shelling unfit shod. Fridge mountains anyone?

domfjbrown, Jul 26, 2005
  20. I-S

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

That is right we do live if a throw awway society, and it drives me nuts, everything, epspecailly kitchen appliences should have a 5 year swap out warranty, if they can't make it last that long, they shouldn't make it at all. Maybe if the manufactures had a legal duty to remove their products from peoples homes at their expense when they're products expire, maybe they'd think more carefully about how they build them.

I bought an AEG Washing machine about 10 years ago, yes it cost over £500 but its still going as good as the day I bought it, and I've moved home 3 times, I don't know what I'll replace it with then it does eventually die (showing no signs of that yet) as I don't beleive that ANYTHING made today is built to last, its all built to cost, which sucks arse.

lhatkins, Jul 26, 2005
Ask a Question