Rejecting items under sale of goods act

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by I-S, Jul 24, 2005.

1. I-S

rsand I can't feel my toes

My bosch is great, and pretty quiet too. The LG ones look pretty well made and quiet. A mate of mine swears by indiset but my personal experience is they suck on a large scale, I remember being very impressed with how quiet the first one was until I realised it wasn't actually working, the second was the wrong colour, the third was dirty (read 2nd hand) and had no light so I complained to them and they said they didn't accept complaints I had to complain to the shop!! IMO the shop were good so I swapped for a seimens which is much better but admittedly about 3x as expensive.

rsand, Jul 26, 2005
  2. I-S

mr cat Member of the month

when I lived with my ex - we bought a budget hoover washer (still over 200 notes), within a few months the concrete block that would stabalize it fell off...it then conked out again within a year...sigh...it's going strong now after about 2 years, but being a single bloke, I only use once a week...

mr cat, Jul 26, 2005
  3. I-S

GAZZ

There isn't a lemon law in this country (thought there should be). I have a servis washer that is used every day over 2 years old and still going with no faults.

GAZZ, Jul 26, 2005
  4. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

rob - Indesit = hotpoint = ariston. After this experience.... no.

Parents have a bosch which has been going a good few years without problem. Problem is that bosch washer/dryers start at £460 or so.

I-S, Jul 26, 2005
  5. I-S

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Isaac, this is the point, you get what you pay for, quality costs, I can't really afford it, but I wouldn't buy anything else.

lhatkins, Jul 26, 2005
  6. I-S

Will The Lucky One

We had a bit of hassle with a Whirlpool and then a hotpoint washer/dryer, when the last one died my Dad vowed to get a good one, and went for Bosch (this time a separate washer/dryer and additional tumble dryer)...never had any problems with either in the three and a half years since then.

My late grandmothers old washing machine would teach modern manufacturers a thing or two though when it came to longevity...it was noisy as hell, and vibrated so much you thought there was an earthquake, but then it was over twenty years old :D and had only had service/attention on a whopping 3 occasions :eek:. I forget the brand which made thathis machine though...I expect they don't make them like they used too anyway (cliched but seems true in many respects)

Will, Jul 26, 2005
  7. I-S

greg Its a G thing

But we found £500 Bosch and £540 AEG didnt perform any better.

greg, Jul 26, 2005
  8. I-S

really? that hasn't been my experience, my AEG Washing machine came with a 10 year parts garranttee, if that doesn't show confedenece in your product I don't know what does. If I have to buy any more kitchen appliences, it will only be AEG or Bosch, nothing else comes even remotely close. Certainly nothing made in this country! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2005
    lhatkins, Jul 27, 2005
  9. I-S

greg Its a G thing

When did you buy the AEG machine and which model was it? We didnt get anything like a 10 year parts guarantee on the OKO_LAVAMAT - it was recommended as a proper machine - it lasted 2yrs 4months, but I wonder if certain models are "real" AEG and the lower end ones are just Eletrolux Group.

I know lower end Bosch are rebadged as Bosch rather than "real" Bosch as I was disappointed to discover this is true of my Bosch tumble drier when a repair dude opened it up.

greg, Jul 27, 2005
  10. I-S

rsand I can't feel my toes

Isaac, seimens are also made by bosch and I think cheaper if not by much.

rsand, Jul 27, 2005
  11. I-S

Hi Greg

I bought our machine in October 1995 from a, now closed down, eletrical shop in Plymouth at a cost of £500, Its a OKO_LAVAMAT 6100 'green machine' like yours, the warranty was bundled in with all the paperwork all I had to do was sign it and send it off.

That is interesting about Bosch though, our dishwasher is Bosch how can you tell if its a genuine or a fake (for want of a better discription?).

lhatkins, Jul 27, 2005
  12. I-S

greg Its a G thing

Well I agree if a 10 year parts guarantee is included then that seems reasssuring. Naturally if it goes wrong you're paying labour, so I guess in reality it might not be painless but it does suggest they are prepared to put their money where their mouth is. Maybe Electrolux have reverted to keeping the quality of the AEG branded goods in line with the reputation.

When ours went kaput the engineer who came out said he'd found more and more plastic part replacing previously metal ones, but that was a few years ago now.

Regards the Bosch tumble drier - the dude who came outo to fix it said it was a specific brand rebranded as Bosch and that this was true of the lower priced machines. My wife said when you looked inside there were a number of references to the brand whatever it was I cant remember. I have no idea if the same applies to their other appliances.

greg, Jul 27, 2005
  13. I-S

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Lower end Bosch is, IIRC, Candy or Electrolux (can't remember which, but was PO'd to discover this since I'd replaced a POS Hoover with aforementioned Bosch, assuming decent quality.

Apparently that Bosch is still going well after 4 years though so it can't be all bad!

domfjbrown, Jul 27, 2005
  14. I-S

Lee - I definitely agree that quality costs, and much of the time it is a price I will pay because it is cheaper in the long run.

I can draw this experience to a close now. The machine is being picked up next saturday and I will get a full refund.

I-S, Jul 29, 2005
  15. I-S

Right, they've taken the aristoff away, and I will get my money back on monday.

I did a lot more research this time. I looked hard for bosch, but there was nothing affordable. I found that the lower end bosch are made in spain anyway...

So I've bought a Zanussi. I've noticed that John Lewis sell their own branded machines which are electrolux/zanussi rebadged. My last machine (which was older than me) was a zanussi, so I'm hoping that this will be a better experience.

A friend of mine works for the dixons group and said that indesit (hotpoint, ariston) have the highest returns rate in the industry.

I-S, Aug 6, 2005
  16. I-S

good luck Isaac, it seems to be a bit of a lottery these days if you get a decent machine or not, I hope it works out for you.

lhatkins, Aug 6, 2005
Ask a Question