REL Stentor 3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Crustyloafer, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Have just sold my MJ acoustics Referecne 1 subwoofer and have ordered a Stentor 3 from REL this afternoon. It should arrive on Friday, I can't wait. Has anybody got any experiences with this subwoofer or any similar level subs.

Crustyloafer, Aug 24, 2004
  2. Crustyloafer

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Just sold one a couple of weeks ago, ok for movies, quality build, but The Velodyenes are far superior imho, Though I perfer some a little more with it.
    So which 7aoks do you work at Crusty? have you tried the DV79 yet?

wadia-miester, Aug 24, 2004
  3. Crustyloafer

Matt F

Nice sub but hugely overpriced at £2.5K. The Velodyne DD12 lists at well under this and is in a different league - in fact I would imagine you could pick up a DD15 for £2.5K. Both the Velo's, apart from offering seriously deep bass with virtually nil distortion, set themselves up automatically applying equalization and variable phase adjustments to take into account the acoustics of the room.

It's also worth noting that you can pick up B&W's awesome ASW850 for £2K which by all accounts is a pretty stunning piece of kit - again with minimal distortion.

Don't get me wrong - the Stentor III is a nice sub but for the money you can do a whole lot better. If you're getting a substantial discount on it then things start to look a lot more favourable but even then you need to compare it to the more expensive SVS offering that themselves have been getting rave reviews.

Matt.

Matt F, Aug 25, 2004
  4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Being a dealer I purchased it for staff rate which is very competetive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2004
    Crustyloafer, Aug 25, 2004
  5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Oh and I'll also mention it is for music use at least 50% of the time and hence the B&W and SVS options were not a consideration.

6. Crustyloafer

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Crusty we figured that sir, it is customary on Z/G to put you creditals/website in your signiture to let others know you are in the trade :)

wadia-miester, Aug 25, 2004
  7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

That information is in my profile which everyone has access to. It is not something that I feel is necessary to apply to every post I make.

8. Crustyloafer

michaelab desafinado

Crusty, it's not part of the AUP that people in the trade mention their association in their sig but I will soon make it so. It's all well and good having it in your profile but people won't generally look at that. It's much better that it's visible right away in every post.

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 25, 2004
  9. Crustyloafer

Matt F

Hang on a minute – we’re talking about B&W’s monster ASW850 here – one of the finest subs around – it plays deep and clean so music is a piece of cake for it. There was an excellent Paul Miller review of it and some other popular subs – MJA Ref 1 and the REL Stadium. Not only did the MJA and REL produce much higher distortion than the B&W, they did little below 30Hz and 25Hz respectively – the B&W happily playing flat to 20Hz with minimal distortion. Basically it trounced the others although it obviously costs a lot more than them – however, I’ve no doubt it would comfortably see off a Stentor.

I think the bottom line is that, assuming both are set up properly, then if you prefer the Stentor over the ASW850 for music then it can only be because you prefer your bass with an element of harmonic distortion.

Matt.

p.s. on the SVS side I don't know but reviews have been very favourable plus I know that Ian J (of mainly avforums but who sometimes posts here) found a notable improvement with music when he replaced his Storm 3 with one of the SVS offerings (not sure which model).

Matt F, Aug 25, 2004
  10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

What I do for a living has no relevance on this forum or any other forum for that matter. Jus because I work in the Hi-Fi industry does not mean I have to announce it to the world.

11. Crustyloafer

michaelab desafinado

I'm afraid that this being a hifi forum and you working for a hifi retailer has every relevance to this forum as there's always the potential for vested interests. You could, for example, always talk up kit that 7Oaks sells and subtly slag off other kit. I'm not for a minute suggesting that you are doing this, or would do it, but that's why it's relevant to the forum.

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 25, 2004
  12. Crustyloafer

julian2002 Muper Soderator

crustyloafer,
    as you've not been a member for long perhaps it should be explained that previously there have been problems on this (and it must be said most other) forums with undisclosed vested interests. it's nothing personal, just something that has been decided as a zero gain policy in order to keep the playing field level and things out in the open. i hope this doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the forum and you make many more contributions to this online community.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Aug 25, 2004
  13. Crustyloafer

Ian J

My SVS 20-39 PC Plus is excellent with music but I didn't mention it at AVF as there are far too many SVS threads there already.

It has excellent timing, goes deep with no audible distortion and is available at between £650 and £700 by personal import only

Ian J, Aug 26, 2004
Ask a Question