Replacement Spikes that don't damage wooden floors

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by yogus, Mar 18, 2005.

1. yogus

yogus

Hi

I'm looking for a replacement for speaker spikes that don't mangle wooden floors and that aren't super-expensive.

I've found either Soundcare Superspikes and potentially Nordost Pulsar points. Anyone have experience with these??

Are there any other suggestions?

Note that I don't want to plump for anything expensive like Stillpoints.

yogus, Mar 18, 2005
  2. yogus

zanash

You could make your own ....its easy. Find out what the thread is on the spike and get eight 3-4cm bolts, find some small round hard wood door knobs, drill out to take the door side of the knob to take the bolt, epoxy in place allow to set and then fit to speakers. I've done this for a Pair of ML Aerius i's on laminate flooring. They sound much better than the supplied none spikey feet.

zanash, Mar 18, 2005
  3. yogus

thedanfan

How about big blobs of the tweakers friend - blu tak. OK it can look like you've got chewing gum all over the floor if you're not careful but it does the trick and it's v.cheap

thedanfan, Mar 18, 2005
  4. yogus

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Superspikes are fine, my Linn dealer uses them, not that that means much. Linn Skeets slide around laminate floors without scratching, and probably so do other carpet protectors that go under spikes.

SteveC, Mar 18, 2005
  5. yogus

rsand I can't feel my toes

RCD cones? I personally like the results from sorbathane. Either way get them from audiphilecandy their 30 day money back policy means you order both and send back the one you dont want.

rsand, Mar 18, 2005
  6. yogus

chris1968

are your spikes removable? i'm pretty sure the spikes on my Attacama's are simply threaded bar cut to length and machined to a point, though i have yet to prove it works, my plan when we move to the new house c/w solid oak floor, is to simply turn the spike upside down - ie screw the spike upwards into the stand, the 'blunt' end will then rest on the floor, hopefully covered with those push fit plastic caps they use to protect the end of threads - i'll push 'em on to prevent any chance of scratching the floor.

chris1968, Mar 21, 2005
  7. yogus

Will The Lucky One

Will, Mar 21, 2005
  8. yogus

inteificio

I have just gone through this thread on a different forum. The simplest alternative is to put 2ps under the spikes with a TINY amount of bluetak under each 2p.

I have tried a variety of methods...this one is cheap but works. The atacams are a rip off and they romoved the rigidity of the spikes....therefore damaging the bass.

Trust me my method works....If you don't trust it because it is cheap you can pay me £30 for the research*

enjoy it

*pm me we can arrange paypal

inteificio, Mar 22, 2005
  9. yogus

I'm sure that works too. However, Atacama shoes don't remove rigidity, it's the blob of Blutak that does that

SteveC, Mar 22, 2005
  10. yogus

inteificio

thats why it is a TINY amount of bluetak. We are talking 1mm sphere.

The Atacamas have a rubber base. This decouples the speakers from the floor letting them rock back and forth damaging the Bass.

I have tried the Atacamas, I have tried the 2p pieces. One works and does not cost £12 per speaker!

If anone can find me flat metal disks, That would be better than the 2p.

If you drill into the coin by a small amount that helps the tip stay steady.

Do you have a laminate or suspended wooden floor?

If you have a laminate, they can be springy in places....don'tput your speakers there. If you have a suspended wooden floor....well there are afew alternatives...none of which your wife will like!

inteificio, Mar 22, 2005
  11. yogus

yogus

I'm currently using 5c pieces, however my wife wants me to find a more permanent solution as she hates the sight of them!!

She likes the Nordost Pulsar points as they are bright and shiny...

Everytime we have guests, they ask:
    - what are those 5c pieces doing under your spikes
    - what is that big blue thing hanging out of your power point (power conditioner)
    - what are those fluffy pillows in the corners of the room, wow they look like speakers (Echo Busters Corner Treatment)

yogus, Mar 22, 2005
  12. yogus

yogus

I have a suspended wooden floor.. what are the alternatives? plinths made of heavy stone? (e.g. pavers).

I'm ok with the bass in the room, I have a slight peak at 50Hz and a null at 120Hz or so, but its nice and even and the wooden floors don't have much of an issue apart from the first reflection from the floor that can sometimes affect the upper mids.

What i'm after is simply a cosmetic solution to avoid the 5c coins i'm currently using. The shoe spikes look cheap, but they may be more conspicuous than 5c pieces.

yogus, Mar 22, 2005
  13. yogus

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I have superspikes on my rack (since I figured that having 150kg+ resting on 4 spikes might not do many floors much good). They hold it up, but they weren't cheap...

I-S, Mar 22, 2005
  14. yogus

Flat disks? I refer to the Linn skeets mentioned earlier in the thread.

SteveC, Mar 22, 2005
  15. yogus

inteificio

is there a link to te linn skeets I cannot find an info on them?

inteificio, Mar 24, 2005
  16. yogus

SteveC, Mar 25, 2005
Ask a Question