Replacing Linn Isobariks, but with what?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by horace, Nov 13, 2006.

1. horace

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

There's a guy on the Linn list who's considering selling a 3-Klout active Kaber setup. Maybe he would split, or you've magically got more budget now ;)

SteveC, Nov 17, 2006
  2. horace

9designs Linn Nut

That would be me ;)

9designs, Nov 17, 2006
  3. horace

Oops, I forgot that! 212s maybe? (I have a pair coming today or tomorrow :) Sorry, I had to tell someone)

SteveC, Nov 17, 2006
  4. horace

horace

Thanks.
    Kabers are on the list of possibles. I've heard them sound spectacularly good in active mode. How they would compare to passive briks is an interesting question. Better in some respects and worse in others, I suspect.
    Kabers seem to be available at reasonable prices these days, so I'll keep looking.

Cheers

Martin

Kabers with three klouts will certainly be over my budget.

horace, Nov 17, 2006
  5. horace

9designs Linn Nut

or WB Arc's, JMLabs 1007be, Dyn Contour ? ....... or even 242... need to do the dem's, sell some kit, find a home for them !!! Lets us know how the 212's go

9designs, Nov 17, 2006
  6. horace

horace

Well, I've managed to convince Better Half that replacing the briks with anything of a similar quality will be far too expensive to be viable.
    What a relief.
    That means I may have sufficient funds to upgrade the LK280.
    Is a klout still the logical choice (with a kairn, into passive briks)
    Or would a 2250 or similar be preferable?
    I don't necessarily need more power, but if the (excellent) Lk280 has a fault, it can be a little woolly round the edges at times.

Cheers

Martin
    Owner of ugly speakers and proud of it.

horace, Nov 17, 2006
  7. horace

That's a hard one to answer, and either would probably do. I think you could say the Klout is darker and the 2250 more clean and sparkly, so you might like to try the 2250 in view of your comments. That would be my choice, anyway, though I never did get round to trying my old briks with a modern amp. I could dig them out and try them with a spare 2250 but I don't think you'd be further forward as I feel it is almost purely a matter of taste. Personally I would go active, but if you don't have the right socketry, crossover box and have domestic considerations that could be a problem. OTOH if you got a Klout and didn't like it you could probably get back what you paid. Note that some of the later Klouts had those BFC connectors, and all the 2250s do, so you'd need to get hold of those.

SteveC, Nov 18, 2006
  8. horace

DarrenW

think about audionote ANE's they go for buttons second hand - posher ones have very nice finish and in a room the size of yours would look like bookshelfs - only downer being they work best in the corners (literally in the corners toed in 45 degrees) so siting on the long wall may be a little far apart - will fill a room that size easily, gives you lots of options for amps etc

I went from briks to ane's and found them a distinct improvement - certainly different in presentation but better in most respects and way more WAF

rgds

Darren

DarrenW, Nov 25, 2006
  9. horace

horace

Thanks Darren

As it happens, the briks have been given a reprieve and will be staying for the time being.

I once had an Audio Innovations Series 300 valve integrated, which holds fond memories. It was a truly spectacular amp. Sadly, I knew nothing of high sensitivity speakers back then and sold it because 9 wpc simply wouldn't drive the crappy speakers I had at the time. Now, if I'd tried a pair of Snells or Audio Notes back then........
    I still hanker after a good valve system. I have a nice Chinese KT88 integrated in a box at home. It doesn't work at the moment and I haven't found anyone to fix it yet. I just love the lightshow it produces.....Doesn't sound half bad either (when it works).

Cheers

Martin

horace, Nov 25, 2006
Ask a Question