Replacing tweeters

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

All,

My speakers have decent seas Tweeters and sound fine but when looking at the wilmslow audio site I noticed that scanspeak and higher quality seas units look like a direct fit size wise and are pretty low cost compared to say, new speaker cables. I assume that this might be a decent upgrade and I wondered if dropping in say scan speak revelators is a simple swap or do I need to play around with crossovers etc? I have noted that the tweeters seem to have similar specs and hoped it is as easy as it looks.

Advice would be welcome.

Joolsburger, Nov 6, 2003
  2. Joolsburger

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Assuming the new tweeters cover the same frequency range as the existing ones, you could use the same crossover components if the impedances and efficiencies are the same. Any differences and you would need to make changes.

If changes are required, they may not be difficult. I would recommend asking for help on diyAudio Forums - loudspeaker section.

7_V, Nov 6, 2003
  3. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Thanks for he reply.
    I have refined the plan there is a difference of 2db in sensitivity beween the old Seas 27TFFT at 92db and proposed new Scan Speak D2905-9700 at 90db. Am I right in assuming that the difference would be audible as a lower volume treble response with the new tweeter and so crossover changes would be required?

I'd rather know this at least before I go off into he heady world of DIY forua!!

Joolsburger, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Joolsburger

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Yes, there would be a slight but noticeable lowering of tweeter volume. You may be lucky as your crossover probably already attenuates the tweeter output relative to the woofer. In that case you'd only need to change the attenuation (different resistor values, probably).

You would need to draw a schematic of the crossover and then have no fear, fly off Joolsburger, up up up into the heady world of DIY. Report back (if you ever return).

7_V, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

I'm just going over there now and may be gone for some time.

Thanks for the help....

J

Joolsburger, Nov 6, 2003
  6. Joolsburger

Lt Cdr Data om

you may save some cash if you opt for the 9300 or the 9500 , avi use the 9300 exclusively and reckons its the best tweeter regardless of price. Its the least peaky in terms of frequency of the lot, too. They may be right.

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 6, 2003
Ask a Question