Resolution Audio Opus 21

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Garmt, May 31, 2006.

1. Garmt

Garmt

Have noy seen any recent threads about this player, but I am having it on demonstration in my system now and it sounds very un-digital and devoid of any 'pulsing', if you know what I mean, but it also sounds to me kinda bland. Is this just the system or is this the sound of this player? I am not really impressed at this moment, although it sounds pretty 'nice'. But I don't want nice, I want tears running down my cheeks! :D

I have connected it by way of its RCA outputs to my Lavardin IT into Living Voice OBX-R2.

Its so hard to find a good CD-player... :(

Garmt, May 31, 2006
  2. Garmt

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

You know what you need sir

wadia-miester, May 31, 2006
  3. Garmt

KUB3 ciao

I had one on demo. I concur, it's very smooth. I did enjoy it to a degree and would reccommend it. However I did feel it might be unnaturally so and felt I may be missing out on some extra detail. Can't remember the price, somewhere around 2-3k. I found the benchmark more satisfying and it's relative price was a bonus. Of course at this level it's totally about opinion so ignore at will.

KUB3, May 31, 2006
  4. Garmt

UnityGain

I spent best part of a year listening to a wide range of amp/CD combinations, and the best I heard by a long way was the combination of Krell KAV400 integrated driven by the Resolution Audio Opus 21.

That is until I heard and bought the Lyngdorf TDA2200/CD-1 combination, which sounded clearer, more natural, and with more 'air' than the Krell/Opus 21 combination, which I agree is ultra smooth. What's more build quality was better, and cost a third less.

It may be hard to find the good CD player you want because of limitations of the CD format, and perhaps all the 'best' players are now getting just about the best possible from it that can be had.

UnityGain, May 31, 2006
  5. Garmt

Stereo Mic

The Opus 21 needs to be used via it's Din connection bypassing the internal pre. Used like that, it suddenly develops dynamics, although I still felt it was entertaining rather than informative.

Stereo Mic, May 31, 2006
  6. Garmt

jtc

Concur with the DIN connection recommendation. I've had my Opus 21 for three years now and it's a mighty find player by any standard. Never tried the XLR outputs so can't comment, but the DIN is noticeably better than the phono output.

jtc, May 31, 2006
  7. Garmt

Garmt

I also tried the XLR outputs (I used both on my Chord SPM 1200E) and they did not give a noticeable improvement I thought. Have not tried the DIN outputs, but I doubt it will improve that much.

@WM: I know... ;)

Garmt, Jun 1, 2006
  8. Garmt

taz

A friend of mine has a virtually identical system and uses the Audio Mecca Mephisto cd player the sound is superb so maybe you should try it

taz, Jun 1, 2006
  9. Garmt

jtc

Don't forget that the DIN output is the only true line-level output - the XLR and RCA Phono outputs all go through the built-in preamp stage, which will degrade the signal somewhat.

I spent a lot of time listening to a lot of cd players before I bought my Opus 21, and it remains one of the biggest bargains in cd playback out there.

jtc, Jun 1, 2006
  10. Garmt

Stereo Mic

Agree with JTC, the only way to truly apreciate the Opus is through the Din.

Used like that, it is a very musical player - one of the reasons it gels well with LV. It's not neutral, I suspect the treble is slightly tailored, but to be honest, when I had one, it easily saw off the likes of a Wadia 861 and Teac combo from a musical enjoyment POV. I am not convinced spending double is worthwhile. Better to upgrade the vinyl front end which will murder ever the best digital players anyway ;-)

Stereo Mic, Jun 1, 2006
  11. Garmt

anubisgrau

yeah, that's why everyone should have a 200 quid denon

at least you'll make billy woodman happy.

anubisgrau, Jun 1, 2006
  12. Garmt

AlexTaylor

Accuphase make mighty fine cd players. As do dCS but I haven't won the lottery yet so will stick to Accuphase.

AlexTaylor, Jun 1, 2006
  13. Garmt

Garmt

I was not impressed by the latest dCS P8i in a recent shoot-out between this model, the AR CD-7 and Meridian 808i.

I thought the 808i had a Meridian 'sound'. It sounded too 'nice' in my ears. The dCs had detail and dynamics in spades, but couldn't tie the musical strands together. The AR CD-7 in my taste was the best, with its organic, spacious, musical, ballsy sound.

I WILL give the Opus 21 another chance with its DIN output, BTW... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2006
    Garmt, Jun 1, 2006
  14. Garmt

Garmt

How VERY true!

Garmt, Jun 1, 2006
  15. Garmt

AlexTaylor

Garmt, the P8i needs very careful setup. If it isn't set up right it sounds bland, if set up properly it's awesome.

AlexTaylor, Jun 1, 2006
  16. Garmt

Mike P

I recently extensively auditioned the Opus 21 and was extremely impressed with it. So much so that I am buying one to replace my Audio Research CD3 MkII. I too use Living Voice Avatar OBX R2's and it was whilst I was demoing the new Avatar OBX RW that I heard the Opus.
    Incidentally, if anyone is looking for a mint nearly new CD3 then let me know!

Best regards,

Mike

Mike P, Jun 1, 2006
  17. Garmt

Garmt

Hello Mike! What amplifier and cables are you using?

Garmt, Jun 6, 2006
  18. Garmt

Garmt

I need to know the pin layout for the 5-pin DIN output. Does anyone know? I need the information preferably very fast...

Garmt, Jun 9, 2006
  19. Garmt

sastusbulbas

I think most CD players are sideways steps with different priorities, I still use a mid 90's £7.5k CD set up , a Theta Data III with Pro Basic IIIa, I have not actualy heard anything that is significantly better, just slightly different.

I dont quite know what price bracket I would have to look at to find an equivalent replacement, and certainly do not feel the equipment of today is quite as well made or developed as pre mid 90's.

I would prefer to have the convenience of a CD/DVD transport with superb CD and HD picture quality.(I have an EAD Theatrevision P which was compairable to the Mark levinson and a TAS recomended CD player, which though superb is nowhere near as good as the Theta)

I am starting to think it is an endless task, looking for beter and better kit, maybe you have to find a player you enjoy your music with (regardless of resolution or reviews), and get on with life until the CD player breaks down.:confused:

sastusbulbas, Jun 9, 2006
  20. Garmt

Garmt

I must adjust my earlier statements about this player... Compared to some competitors, it KILLED them! And that was using its RCA outs! The others were Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP (large images, warm sound, but ultimately lacking in prat and hifi-ish unnatural sound) and Audia Flight CD ONE (just too 'CD' sounding, no blackness, very 'busy' sound, pretty neutral though).

The Opus 21 was the only player that gave me goosebumps. I am gaining respect for this player!

Garmt, Jun 12, 2006
Ask a Question