Respect to Mission!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Jul 24, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

A while back one of my speakers LF drivers decided to call it a day. Not exactly what caused it, but just seemed to gradually get worse, then gave in.

Phoned Mission to find out about a new driver. Can't remember the exact cost, but was below £50.

I left it a couple of weeks, and have been using headphones and shifted rear speakers onto front duty. Been away from house a fair bit too so wasn't as hard to cope with as might have been.

Phoned mission again last thursday and went for the "blag". Can't remember who suggested this over on GH but cheers :)

I knew the speakers should still be under guarentee. They are 2000 at the earliest and with a 5 year guarantee that's a while left yet. So, had all my argument ready "it's the speakers that are guaranteed not the owner isnt it?" They're s/h.

Phoned them up and what a helpfull bunch they were! Acted as if I hadn't phoned them previously, explained the problem, and after confirming i'd done the usual process of elimintaion to be sure it was the driver I was told of the options. Either take them back to dealer or have them couriered back to mission. I explained how they were a pressie (had the "ex-girlfriend bought me them before running off to Rio with the milkman" line ready), so not sure who the dealer was. So they arranged for them to be collected from my house, looked at and any repairs done and then returned to me. All i'd have to pay was the return courier charge @ £14! Result I thought!
    So, was away for the weekend and phoned on tuesday to find out how things were going. They'd been fixed and were awaiting dispatch to me :) I asked how I go about paying the £14, do I pay the courier? Only to be told they'd crossed it off :D

So, collected, repaired, returned cost = £0.00!!!

They were helpful and polite and friendly throughout! I think the woman I spoke to even fancied me! She asked for my number and everything ;)

I'm about to start warming them back up....

MO :D

MO!, Jul 24, 2003
  2. MO!

sideshowbob Trisha

And what about the speakers? :cool:

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 24, 2003
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

:D

I'm pretty sure they've replaced the mid/bass driver in both speakers! Obviously one driver looks pretty much the same as another, but (call me sad), these both look different! The grain on the keraform (?) looks different!

When I bought these s/h they'd been getting little use for a while. The guy had his replacements up and running. He warmed them up before I got there, but they still seemed to wake up MOre after a few days of continuous use back at mine. Sounds pretty good ok, even less bass than before :) but I guess it'll all kick in again soon....

MO!, Jul 24, 2003
  4. MO!

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Mission's service department is one of the best. They have always been a model of helpfulness to me also. Glad you got a good result.

Cheers

timpy, Jul 25, 2003
  5. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Grrrr!!!!!!

Same again!!!!

Noticed some distortion, then the LF driver on one of the speakers started cutting out, and now it doesn't seem to want to play anyMOre :(

MO!, Oct 24, 2005
  6. MO!

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Time to try Dynaudio ;)

technobear, Oct 24, 2005
  7. MO!

Rory satisfied

nah you want Mordaunt Short or Epos MO!

Rory, Oct 24, 2005
  8. MO!

mr cat Member of the month

kef? ;)

mr cat, Oct 24, 2005
  9. MO!

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Well I was thinking along the lines of something that would be harder for MO! to destroy :D

technobear, Oct 24, 2005
  10. MO!

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Crossover?

Bob

Bob McC, Oct 24, 2005
  11. MO!

Rory satisfied

some Tannoys or Goodmands with the ICT drive unit :D - no crossover or tweeter to destroy!

Rory, Oct 24, 2005
  12. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

T'was the only thing left to rule out, so I swopped the drivers over and the problem followed the faulty driver. That's that then.... or so I thought!

DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!

After checking the drivers with a meter, the good one showed as 12ohm. I expected the faulty one to do nothing, but it showed some signs of life. Maybe not completely dead then.

So, I connected it back up, disconnected the tweeter, and turned the volume up. At close to max' it kicked back in! :eek:

Not really sure what's happened, but it seems fine now. We put the meter across it again, and this time it showed 12ohm too!

So, I've no idea how, but it seems to have come back to life!

I'm obviously happy, but also somewhat confused.

Anyone????

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
    MO!, Oct 26, 2005
  13. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Maybe I spoke too soon.

I played a couple of albums through earlier with no problems at all, then left it alone for an hour or so.

Popped back in and put another album on. Track 1 fine, then just as the second track started (with the lyrics "I'm so afraid so something is broken now :rolleyes: ), I noticed some distortion! NOOoOoOooOoo!!!! Then the driver started cutting out.

It seems fine again now, but obviously something's not right here.

:(

MO!, Oct 26, 2005
  14. MO!

Sid and Coke

What model of Mission speaker are they ? I had one of my LF drivers replaced (foc)when i first got my 782's. It was actually knackered in the shop when i bought them, i only noticed the problem when i was adjusting the spikes to set them up in my house though. ( they where ex-dem, half price, on sale/or return, with the 5 year warranty).

Sid and Coke, Oct 26, 2005
  15. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

They're the baby brothers of your 782's, the 780's.

I'm 40 min's into another album and they're still seeming ok. But still, there's obviously something not right here.

Infact, the driver just stopped while writing this!!! :(

Turning the amp up seems to kick it back into life.

MO!, Oct 26, 2005
  16. MO!

Machineman

Mo,
    A mate of mine bought a pair of 780s about 2 and a half years ago. Now he never plays music really loud cos he lives in a new semi with thin walls and has got a couple of small kids etc. Anyhoo, about six months ago one bass driver started to distort/crackle then go off almost completely. If he then turned up the volume a bit it would come back to life for a short while. After a couple of weeks of this it eventually went bang(sparks were seen shooting from the cone centre, followed by a bit of smoke :MILD: :D
    Back to the dealers they went, who told us that another customer that day, and one last week had returned their 780s for exactly the same reason, and that they had seen one or two in the past with this fault as well.
    The dealer ordered two new drivers from Mission which were updated versions apparently(i reckon Mission know whats going on here), and fitted them himself at the shop FOC.
    That's been a few months ago and no probs yet, but as i say he doesn't play em loud so i don't trust them and would get rid if i were you, once repaired of course.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers.
    MM.
    PS. Forgot to mention, on the return visit to collect said 780s, i went along to listen to a Well Tempered deck with my usual dealer, and he told me that they have seen quite a few Missions with blown drivers over the years, but never Dynaudios, which kinda fits in with what Technobear said. I'd be looking at a pair of ex dem 42/52s if i were you. A bit dearer i know but i doubt you'd ever have to change them again.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
    Machineman, Oct 26, 2005
  17. MO!

Tenson Moderator

Dirt in the cone assembly? Does it have a little gap down between the phase plug and the cone? I had a driver do this once and it just needed a strong blow into the gap while holding it upside down and moving the cone.

Tenson, Oct 26, 2005
Ask a Question