[Review] £15 digital Stylus balance

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ADPully, Jul 21, 2007.

1. ADPully

ADPully

£15 digital Stylus balance

I have bought a 100g jewlers balance from ebay - It works brill as a stylus balance it is accurate +/- 0.01g. Below is a picture. It even comes with a calibration wieght.
    When I checked my cartridge it was tracking at 2.9g now back at 2.2g - marvelous. Then I read the specs on the and dropped it down again to 1.6g even more marvelous.

Purchase details here = wwww.digital.com 1/100g accuracy pocket scale is its name. There are a shedload of them on ebay mine was £4.95 plus postage = £15. Size 18mm x 139mm x 8omm

It is not affected by the magnetic fields of cartridges

View attachment 980

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2007
    ADPully, Jul 21, 2007
  2. ADPully

RobHolt Moderator

Just a thought, but I tried a similar device last year and discovered that the sensing plate or the mech beneath contained ferrous material and attracted the magnets in MC cartridges.
    If you have a small magnet (fridge magnet works) try placing it on the pad and if there is any attraction I'm affraid the unit will not be suitable for hi-fi use.

If all is well - excellent and I'll certainly be ordering one :)

RobHolt, Jul 22, 2007
  3. ADPully

ADPully

Thanks for the comment - I will check this currently iti s being used by a mate

ADPully, Jul 22, 2007
  4. ADPully

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

you could just put block of plastic on it, polystyrene with a sheet of something solid on top, 'tare' it, and put the cart on that.

anything 1" thick will do the job

sq225917, Jul 23, 2007
  5. ADPully

ADPully

Thanks for the idea - Without a lot of faffing I have a limit on height that precludes a one inch spacer but but 1/2" is probably workable.

I can use this spacer idea to check the idf there is a magnetic effect. by measuring a unfitted cartridge mass at tray level and also on 1" block if there no difference

If there is a magnetic attraction I would expect it would make the recorded mass higher than it actually was - if there is an effect its clearly quite small. Ive set my Cartridge up at 1.65 grams using the gauge - it has been tracking perfectly even across the worst band on HFS75 test disc.

So The magnetic effect, in this case, could be a red herring.

Unless it sticks like a limpet Im not sure if Robs "magnet" test is going to tell me too much. I have no idea if a MC would be more susceptable to errors? - If any one wants to send me a knackered old moving coil I can check this out also.

Thanks for all the comments they will help me verify the suitability of these scales for hifi use

I have noted that some cartridge scales have a list price of over £200

Andy

ADPully, Jul 23, 2007
  6. ADPully

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

It looks identical to one I purchased about a year and a half ago and isn't magnetic. However I did make a platform out of a bent credit card which I then taped to the sensing plate to ensure that it was measuring at close to the playing surface rather than a centimeter or two higher. Some arms (though not a Rega as pictured) VTF varies considerably with height. I'm very pleased with it.

Uncle Ants, Jul 23, 2007
  7. ADPully

ADPully

Just tested if MM magnets affected the mass reading by weighing a cartridge Shure SC39ED directly on tray and then lifted up by 20mm on a rubber spacer. - No difference.

Then did the same with a fridgemagnet - no difference.

Conclusion - This Unit is suitable for checking tracking weights of all cartridges up to 0.01 grams - 100 grams.

ADPully, Jul 23, 2007
  8. ADPully

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

In that case one can use a cantilever like a lollipop stick or piece of chopped-up credit card held down with a dab of sticky putty.

SteveC, Aug 20, 2007
  9. ADPully

Paul Ranson

The magnets probably won't affect the recorded weight, but may damage the cantilever. If a decently powerful magnet doesn't 'stick' to the weighing platform then probably you're should be fine. A spacer would make it certain.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Aug 20, 2007
Ask a Question