[Review] 2nd visit to Chez WM

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

2nd visit to Chez WM

I had my second visit to Chez WM yesterday.
    My thanks to Tony yesterday for being such a kind host.

The last time I visited WMs I came away definitely impressed. In opinion it was the best CD based system I'd ever heard. In areas such as "believability", it was simply awesome, particularly areas such as the sound of drums, which were brilliant.
    My only area of concern was the lack of "air" or "fluidity" which good LPs systems achieve.

Well is seems that WM himself wanted some more of that, as the sound was clearly different this time around.
    The power amp and speakers were unchanged (Belcanto and Meadowlark). The key changes were in the CD player (now a Wadia 850 single box), updated power supplies, cables and supports.

Unfortunately, not everything went quite as planned.
    My initial reaction on listening was "has someone put an upper range Arcam CD player on the front"? Yes it had a nice level of tonal palete, but where had the "believability", "thwack" and foot tapping gone?
    The good news was that not all was lost. Seems that the dumbing down of leading edges to achieve tonality was the cause.
    Whatever, Tony set to work, firstly lowering the seismic sink (at least I know to NEVER buy one of those), and then with some cable tweaks. Low and behold most of the magic was back, but this time round with the "air" that was previously missing.

Tony then also showed off the Townsend super tweeters. What an odd effect. They were definitely an improvement, though not quite what I expected. My personal view is that they didn't change the tonal quality at all.
    For me, what they did was sharpen up the image placement of an instrument (by LOTS), along with improving the general believability.
    As an analogy, without was like listening to a guitar playing on an Arcam CDP, i.e. nice. With was like having Joe Satriani demonstrating the width of his fretboard whilst giving it rock all on the wang bar, all the while finger picking at 300 notes/min.
    To say I was impressed is an understatement. When I've sorted out my pre-amp, these are an absolute must.

So in summary, a great afternoon.
    What simply amazed me was the sheer "tunability" of WMs system and the fact that he knew just what to do to tune it the way I wanted.
    No, it wasn't quite what I would be seeking by the end, but as Tony had got 80% there with very little effort, I really am sure that he could do the rest.
    Is it still the best CD based system I've heard? Err yes is the answer.

I got home to listen to my own Naim/Linn based kit, and whilst I love it to bits, was certainly outclassed in a number of key areas, maybe not enough to want to spend masses of dosh, but all the same, the differences are certainly there.

Look forward to seeing you in Sept.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 5, 2004
  2. Mr_Sukebe

The Devil IHTFP

Awww, don't knock the Seismic Stink, WM likes that sort of thing.

What is your system, Mr S?

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  3. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

As of now it's a CD5i/112/hicap/200/Kabers/REL Q100. The electronics are on a mana amp stand, the subs on a concrete plinth. Zanash made the interconnect, NACA5 for the kabers. The kabers have Neodymium tweeters and upgraded midrange units.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Kelly Unregistered User

You mentioned cable tweaks. In all seriousness, what kind were they?
    I mean, did he change the cables totally? or add network boxes? or add ferrite cylinders? raise/lower them off the ground with cable holders? Add bits of coins/ebony/ivory to the connector ends (This is a serious tweak, where I'm from, but I've never tried it, check www.1388.com)
    Please, this is not a jest question.
    Thanks.

Kelly, Jul 7, 2004
  5. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Kelly,

Total change of cable from the O.E. dct litz copper stuff for something better, if your having to ferrites,I suggest something may be wrong further down the chain :eek: network boxes? nope,the cables were already off the ground (jumpers form tweeter posts to supertweeter sat ontop of the main driver array).
    Maybe consider using correctly designed cables and connectors in the first place might help Kelly

wadia-miester, Jul 7, 2004
  6. Mr_Sukebe

Kelly Unregistered User

WM,
    Currently using a nordost superflatline gold (the biwire version, but I got the factory to finish it shotgun) as speaker cables and blue heaven's from my CD to amp.
    Power cables are DIY (previously a single run of 83803, but am now trying a solid core braided design, ala TNT, which I just built)
    I also have an assortment of DIY belden interconnects(solid core, stranded) finished with various plugs.
    No ferrites to be found (In fact, I removed the stock cable on my NAD which had a ferrite plug at the amp end, and put in an IEC, it's also running in the DIY braided cable at the moment). Nope, no network boxes either.
    None of my cables touch the ground (tall ikea shelf for equipment) and short cables to speakers on stands.
    I'm actually very happy with my system's sound, and I'm not really into upgrading. But I was just curious as Mr Sukebe just mentioned cable tweaks and I'm quite a fan of fooling around.
    I'm a believer of "cables making a difference" but I'm not a fan of "paying for it".
    And tweaking is just so fun, especially when it's practically free.
    btw, wm, did you check the site I put on my previous post? I have dabbled with the "coin tweaks", but none of the resonance stuff. I couldn't hear a difference to save my life, then again, maybe my system wasn't resolving enough or my ears are just full of crud.
    Too bad I'm not living in the UK.

Kelly, Jul 9, 2004
  7. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Kelly,

Good to see people having a go at all possiblities, I discount nothing until we've tried prove/disprove it.
    DIY is a a good paving ground, and can give good insite into various idea's that you would have previously dismissed. Plus they are readily available.
    Removing the captive lead on components and fitting a chassis mount IEC is always good.
    Have you tried wrapping you main power cables with ERS tape?.
    IN case you wern't aware Kelly, cables are part of the business, that the company (Omiga Audio) produces. Wm

wadia-miester, Jul 9, 2004
Ask a Question