[Review] 3-way Supertweeter Test

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mellstock, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

Have you guys compared the Tannoy ST-50 with those supertweeters... :confused:

Mic,

Get a life... :newbie:

melorib, Aug 29, 2007
  2. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Antonio. If you want to argue with me you'll have to be a little more intelligent than that. Do you have an arguement or do you simply feel like being abusive today? What do you think is the benefit of supertweeters on your system?

Stereo Mic, Aug 29, 2007
  3. mellstock

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Benfits of super tweeters? In my system - better imaging, more space round the instruments, a very pleasant ease of listening experience and when taken out of the system you want them back in badly! Not about higher frequencies, in my experience it's much greater holistic experience. Tenson's (Simon's) are rather good and shall write up my experience in next couple of weeks - rather busy just now.

BTW Simon asked me if I'd like to try his prototypes as he knew I am a super tweeter fan - the offer of a report in to ZG was mine in the interests of sharing new experiences as these were worth reporting on IMO.

Melorib - haven't A/B'd Simon's with Tannoys but I have previously found the Townshends better than the Tannoys and Simon's Audiosmiles possibly better than the Townshends, but as I have said I'll write something up next month. Better in the sense of a very nice integration.

larkrise, Aug 29, 2007
  4. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Interesting. Everything you mention is consistent with increasding the amount of treble energy entering the listening room. I can and have demonstrated that with measurements. I'd struggle on a "holistic" level I guess.

Stereo Mic, Aug 29, 2007
  5. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

I am learning with the master...

melorib, Aug 29, 2007
  6. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

I am happy with mine, sure did fill the need I had with my fullranges, more energy and more air in the treble, they are crossed at 18khz...

Dont intend to change them, but am curious how they compare with others, by the way, mine are supposed to have the drivers of ST100, or so said the previous owner, even sent a sticker from Tannoy, with an hologram, that is supposed to prove it... :rolleyes:

melorib, Aug 29, 2007
  7. mellstock

Stereo Mic

That'll be a no then :rolleyes:

I know it's expecting a lot for you to have the slightest technical clue about anything you post about, but I live in hope.

Stereo Mic, Aug 29, 2007
  8. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

Dont bother, I dont...

melorib, Aug 29, 2007
  9. mellstock

Stereo Mic

I realise that.

Hopefully you can appreciate the frustration some feel when you post something based on this blissful ignorance and then try to defend it?

Stereo Mic, Aug 29, 2007
  10. mellstock

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

theres an assumption that an uneven polar repsonse in the high frequencies may be a bad thing, it may be the case that they fill in the higher frequencies that are absorbed by the room, adding to the diffuse sound filed and widening the stereo image and sweetspot.

rear firing tweeters do a similar thing and in my experience improved the sound, at least with the Von Schweikerts i've demo'd

sq225917, Aug 29, 2007
  11. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

Speaking of yourself again...

Since when do we need a degree to enjoy hifi, or to post in this forum...

melorib, Aug 29, 2007
  12. mellstock

Stereo Mic

The average living room does little to absorb higher frequencies IME. The narrowing of a tweeter's dispersion increases the ration of direct to indirect sound. A supertweeter does not change that - it merely increases the level provided you are listening on axis. A read firing tweeter is different as you are only getting indirect sound from it. The same would happen if you listened to the supertweeters with them firing away from you.

Antonio,

You don't have to be an expert to enjoy hifi. It does help however if you intend to go onto internet forums and argue for and against the veracity of certain tweaker's theories.;)

Stereo Mic, Aug 29, 2007
  13. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

Like Thorsten... :confused:

melorib, Aug 29, 2007
  14. mellstock

Tenson Moderator

Funny you mention that, I tried turning the STs (supertweeters) around to fire backwards yesterday. I don't think it sounded as good, it lost some of the imaging accuracy. I think bi-pole treble is probably more about the upper midrange area than the very top treble.

Tenson, Aug 29, 2007
  15. mellstock

Stereo Mic

It's high frequencies that give pinpoint positioning in the image. The more of them the easier it is to hear "imaging" hence the number of tipped up loudspeakers that image well and get on my tits.If you fire the tweeters away from you, you would not increase the direct sound and therefore not change the balance. Unless you are old fashioned and use a tone control...

Stereo Mic, Aug 29, 2007
  16. mellstock

Stereo Mic

No Thorsten is a very knowledgable guy - if a little leftfield in some of his more advanced theories.

I was thinking of you of course, as you are the one who criticises every time some scientific evidence is produced that disproves what your bowels are telling you and you are enthusiatically telling the audio world via these forums.

Stereo Mic, Aug 29, 2007
  17. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

In the particular issue he "approved" and encouraged what I was doing, but you still acted as I was doing something stupid...

What cientific evidence did I criticize ? On the contrary, I posted cientific evidence ? You are the one criticizing cientific evidence when it doesnt suit your believes...

And forums are made for people enthusiastically tell the world about their experiences, if one needs only cientific information there are other sources...

melorib, Aug 29, 2007
  18. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Your memory must be fading. You posted the papers of an audio enthusiast. I asked you ( and everyone else) to post evidence that audible high order distortion resulted from the application of negative feedback. I think it might have been Markus who posted that such evidence did not exist. I therefore rested my case. You did not post evidence, you posted postulations as did Thorsten. That was my point.

As I said, Thorsten is somewhat leftfield - and I disagree with much of what he says. I do agree with a lot though and some of it is even scientifically provable! But he did at least encourage you as you say. Is your amp working again now?

Stereo Mic, Aug 29, 2007
  19. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

I am sure you know it is...

And that, as I posted in the thread, it was a resistor disconnected, one that I never touched, at least wilinglly, so it was not due to any of my mods...

melorib, Aug 29, 2007
  20. mellstock

sideshowbob Trisha

You did do something stupid. You broke your amplifier because you didn't understand what you were doing to it. It would take a man with a heart of stone not to laugh.

Caveat emptor and all that.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 29, 2007
Ask a Question