[Review] 3-way Supertweeter Test

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mellstock, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mellstock

Jampot

That was a rhetorical question I presume?

Stereomic, in another diatribe / post you refer to a lake of salt - give us all credit, we don't need this kind of vitriol to protect our wallets or our well being.

Give it a break, please:mad:

Jim

Jampot, Aug 30, 2007
  2. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Larkrise,

I don't consider this a review. I consider this to be the uncorroberated postings of an unknown individual that knows the manufacturer. That's not a review however you dress it up.

Let's see some independent opinions. Tell you what. I'll dig out some old cheap speakers and and give you an opinion if you like. You damned well know I'm not going to be doing the maker any favours - but I will be thoroughly honest, and know what I'm doing in the process! I'll even take some nearfield and farfield measurements for you to back it up. It will of course still only be an opinion - ableit one backed up by solid thinking and objective evidence.

And in answer to the other question, no I have never heard of Paul Whetstone or whatever his name is with his nos dacs. Could you let me know? And also what's his forum name?

Stereo Mic, Aug 30, 2007
  3. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Jim,

I give credit where credit is due. The comment by Zanash deserved none. Simple. Ignorance is no excuse if you are going to post falsehoods as some kind of expert. I'm fed up with the stupidity and ignorance to be frank. It has to stop.

Stereo Mic, Aug 30, 2007
  4. mellstock

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Er . . . I thought it was a review - maybe it was a recipe and I misread it. Unknown? Does Paul have to be famous to post an opinion, this is a Forum?

Let me see, how can I put this - quote "Let's see some independent opinions." That is precisely what you got isn't it, an independent opinion as would be mine?

Oh and by the way Paul didn't know the Manufacturer and I thought I'd explained that but maybe I wrote it an Aramaic tongue?

larkrise, Aug 30, 2007
  5. mellstock

Stereo Mic

With wit like that I can imagine you writing for Time Out.

Stereo Mic, Aug 30, 2007
  6. mellstock

scott_01

Mic

I fully agree about the organised bake off idea and I'm willing to bet that Tenson would subscribe to it too. As Larkrise pointed out I thought that was how reviews were supposed to be conducted.

However, they don't appear to be in most magazines (again to the best of my knowledge) and hence at risk of repeating myself, I don't see how this particular opinion piece is any different from a 3 globes / 4 stars anywhere else.

I suppose what we are meant to get from a recognised reviewer in a magazine is unbiased reporting, product and technical knowledge as well as experience of the overall market context. This does happen sometimes but certainly not always. You also get the reviewer's personal prejudices , likes / dislikes and brand loyalties too.

As you pointed out the TNT review is a good example of this. After doing some research and looking at the guy's kit you can see what price point he i playing at and what his preferences are. You don't like the look of his tastes but maybe others do. I'm ambivalent about them TBH. He might be a complete **** stick, but then again, maybe not.

I take your point about recognised companies and I suppose this is probably more 'let the buyer beware' than anything else. If I have a bad feeling about a product or organisation then I won't buy. My personal bugbear is with people who sell old jap gear as 'classic' jap gear and charge ridiculously inflated prices for it quoting opinion pieces as justification for how it wipes the floor with modern stuff without any evidence.

I'd like to think Tenson isn't one of those and hence I think we should probably give him a chance. Maybe he'll end up as an established company one day that the word of mouth is passed in this format rather than in a one to one format is a sign of the times I think.

scott_01, Aug 30, 2007
  7. mellstock

Why not just post "Your mum's fat and my dad can beat up your dad" and leave it at that?

PS - A few Zero Gainers are running a book here on how desperate Stereo Mic is to get the last word, let's see!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2007
    larkrise, Aug 30, 2007
  8. mellstock

Stereo Mic

No. Try harder. I'm sure there's some wit in there somewhere.

Stereo Mic, Aug 30, 2007
  9. mellstock

mellstock

Some oil on troubled waters or more fuel to the fire? Let's see which way this goes.

StereoMic: you clearly smell a rat:

"I just see so many people building at home and creating a stir on the internet - that proves long term to be hype and nothing else. Very few internet promoted companies go on to become long term players in the hifi industry - primarily because people get their products via ebay or whereever and realise after a few months it's not really what was claimed. Acoustic Reality would be the first I came across many moons ago. Cable companies have sprung up here and on other forums that sell you a worthless piece of junk with zero market value. Tweaks and modifications that apparently work because someone with five fuckin' posts raves about it and the manufacturer comes on board to say "thanks". The list is endless and a bugbear of mine."

Your warning has to be timely since the retail end of hifi is in decline and internet-derived purchase on the rise. Of course fools and their money can be easily parted. But... the magazines are still out there and if anyone's seen a supertweeter shoot-out in one please point me in the right direction, especially if it compared the Townshend with JAS. I'd be fascinated to read whether the findings parallel mine or not. Obviously too in a different system or even room the hierarchy could change.

But, StereoMic, you are being a touch unfair to me and to the AudioSmile product. The latter is the most easily dealt with. It's not a tweak, mod, cable or accessory but a free-standing component. You haven't heard it. I've said what I said. I thought it was the best of the 3 - and Simon is now starting to promote it, for example by posting the PFM notice/link. You dislike that method, others don't see the problem. Simon's taking it to the market in the way that he thinks best & perhaps the sort of bake-off testing which you envisage and/or other reviews will follow. Couldn't you perhaps suspend your disbelief until then?

Secondly - me. I'm unknown to you, true and rarely post, true. However you've been assured by myself, Larkrise & Simon that there is no invalidating connection here. I'll just add that I'm old enough to be his dad and confirm that I have gained nothing by the review.

I just really carefully listened to all three supertweeter sets over a week or so and even in short-bursts: on a Miles Davis track from You're Under Arrest I focussed on a particular guitar lick; on a Van Morrison cut with choral backing and v. complex instrumental mix it was all about how much detail I could get to in the choir; on some late Hendrix live in the studio it was about the room-ambiance. Etc, etc, etc We all have our reference material.

Furthermore something else about the test was that I felt that the Audiosmile - rather than Townshend or JAS was significantly narrowing the gap in one of my key areas of preference - imaging - between CD and analogue. As you'd expect, with a Hyperspace, the turntable keeps on spinning.

Again - could you not perhaps accept that the testing I did, while totally non-technical, could at least have been lengthy, careful and thorough?

Happy listening, Mellstock
    ________
    Ab Platform

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
    mellstock, Aug 31, 2007
  10. mellstock

Bravo Mellstock, well put - how on earth could anyone get upset about that?

Well, don't hold your breath, but I'm hoping.

larkrise, Aug 31, 2007
  11. mellstock

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

come on stereo mic, spill the beans, you're just pissed at being passed over for a review sample aren't you? No need to be ashamed just because no one cares what you think or agrees with you.

opinions are like arseholes, we all have to put up with them..

sq225917, Aug 31, 2007
  12. mellstock

Nuuk

I am Nick Whetstone but I think you must be referring to another one (or did you say that his name was Paul Whetstone?) as I have never written a review on stuff bought off Ebay. So please check your facts before broadcasting them! ;)

Nuuk, Sep 2, 2007
  13. mellstock

Jampot

Glad you stepped up, Nick - I thought it was you but wasn't sure of my facts so I didn't like to broadcast it;)

Jim

Jampot, Sep 2, 2007
  14. mellstock

Nuuk

Very sensible of you if my may say so Jim! :)

Nuuk, Sep 2, 2007
  15. mellstock

ShinOBIWAN

Simon

Brilliant work on the ST mate. You should be proud, takes a lot of balls to do what you've done and I wish I had the gumption and skill to do something similar.

I wish you all the success with it.

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 2, 2007
  16. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Ah the plot thickens. But it's nice to know that I was right about the "reviewer" being a Zerogain member. Call me an old cynic but.....

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  17. mellstock

ShinOBIWAN

Stereo Mic:

You see people sat at home creating a stir on the internet? How ironic. Your the biggest "look at me!" proponent out there.

Your intention from the beginning was to disrupt this thread. Look around, your the only one crying foul, the rest are happy that Simon is proving to have a real flare for this stuff unlike yourself, which I think is really the problem here.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
    ShinOBIWAN, Sep 2, 2007
  18. mellstock

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

moderation post no longer needed, cheers.

bottleneck, Sep 2, 2007
  19. mellstock

ShinOBIWAN

Edited, no problem. Could you not clear up the rubbish out of this thread completely please? My post included.

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 2, 2007
  20. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

I would like to know why dont the moderators moderate the culprit instead of the victims... :confused:

melorib, Sep 2, 2007
Ask a Question