[Review] 3-way Supertweeter Test

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mellstock, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mellstock

Markus S Trade

Because the culprit has a point. I'm sure the mods would prefer him to make that point in a less abrasive manner.

"Victim" is putting it a little strong imho.

Markus S, Sep 2, 2007
  2. mellstock

ShinOBIWAN

Mike is quite careful about his wording.

Although he's less concerned about what he says in his PM's though where he shows his true nature with threats, profanity and such like.

If the moderators delete his posts then it would begin to look like they have some preference since his post aren't breaking any direct rules. Although they do show a complete lack of any endearing characters and a sense of self importance beyond belief.

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 2, 2007
  3. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

I think what is beeing moderated is not any technical point, but behaviour, and the real victim is the forum...

melorib, Sep 2, 2007
  4. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

He insults more than everybody else toguether, both directly and indirectely, on his comments to other's posts and inteligence...

melorib, Sep 2, 2007
  5. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Yeah right. OK. Damn I wish I could have a pair of them.

Would you care to explain te design flair behind sticking a ribbon on a bit of wood and changing caps depending on the buyers' loudspeakers?

The only question was about uneven polar response and the raison d'etre for the product. These questions remain unanswered. Maybe you can point out the advantages of boosting the on axis output of a tweeter?

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  6. mellstock

Stereo Mic

POT KETTLE BLACK.

What did you get a one month ban for?

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  7. mellstock

Nuuk

Sorry, I am really not sure what you are saying here! Are you saying that reviewers shouldn't be a member of any hi-fi forum? Surely, if we are to say anything knowledgeable about hi-fi, we need to be interested in it. And I would suggest that anybody interested in hi-fi would visit the various hi-fi forums! Joining a forum and posting doesn't signify that you are blood-brothers with all the other forum members does it?

Ironically, I came to this thread with a similar view to your own, ie if somebody posts a review of an item being sold by another forum member, it is probably correct that somebody reminds any potential customers for that item that they should go on more than just that suggestion.

Quite why you have singled me out for any criticism when I had not previously posted on this thread, or mentioned anything about the forum topic, ie the super-tweeters, I am not sure!

There are ways of putting something over and ways not to! When you light a fire, get a spark started and then breath gently on it to kindle a flame. If you blow too hard however, you will put out the flame! ;)

Nuuk, Sep 2, 2007
  8. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Oh do give it a rest :rolleyes:

There's plenty of people offering me support and a few of you with your noses out of joint. If my point of view is damaging to the forum, the mods can decide that can't they. They sent you a warning - bizarre given how destructive I supposedly am:confused:

What are you doing on this thread anyway. What do you think about the integration of supertweeters?

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  9. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

I use super-tweeters, but you are so busy uncovering conspiracies in the forum, that you didnt notice my previous posts...

melorib, Sep 2, 2007
  10. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Of course not - some of them are highly knowledgable and we can all learn from them.

Backtracking, someone basically used the fact that Simon had received a review on TNT as a measure of credibility. Forgive me but I worry about internet magazines, given that they have no real accountability. You were named as I had never heard of you - sorry about that.

Now ironically when I was complaining about a "review" of a product being posted by a fellow forumite who knew the designer probably being tainted, your review was offered as an independent opinion. Yet it transpired that you too were a ZG forumite who had been exchanging PM's with the product's salesguy on various forum related subjects for a year or so prior to your review being published.

Can you not see that it might have been advisable to have a TNT review carried out by an independent - someone not connected with ZG and Tenson - in order to avoid any suggestion of bias or colaboration? I'm not saying there was, but I am saying that your actions kind of leave you wide open to the allegation and to use a similar analogy to you, the public generally assume there's no smoke without fire...:)

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  11. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Sadly, your experience is somewhat different in that you have deficiant main drive units that roll off way before 20khz. Like similar horn loaded speakers they will always benefit from proper extension.

See rolled off treble here

What we are talking about, and what Murray asked originally is what benefit one could gain from adding this to a speaker already producing 20khz. Yours don't.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
    Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  12. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

Why are my speakers not relevant to this discussion... :confused:

melorib, Sep 2, 2007
  13. mellstock

Stereo Mic

Who on earth said that?

I said your situation was different from the one raised by Murray and queried by me. You would probably benefit from something coming in at around 8khz to be honest.

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  14. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

Not me... :confused:

melorib, Sep 2, 2007
  15. mellstock

Nuuk

Nor in the case of TNT, any 'ties'. Are you saying that you trust 'What Hi-Fi' et al because they are accountable to their advertisers?

In a perfect world, what you are asking would be reasonable, ie the reviewer would have absolutely no prior connection with the person/company supplying the product to be reviewed. But what exactly does that entail? For a start, it would limit each reviewer to a single product from each manufacturer! The fact is that once you have been in this game for a few years, it's surprsing just how many people that you may have contacted in one way or another.

I honestly don't think most people are hunting around with a magnifying glass trying to find reasons to discredit a review. Prior to doing the DEQ review, I had asked Simon for some advice on room treatments. If that disqualifies me from doing a review that you can trust, so be it!

The fact is that anything you read anywhere should be taken with a healthy pinch of salt. I think most of us are sensible enough to know that.

While I will state categorically that what I write is as close to the truth as I can make it, I will remind everybody that any review is only a guide-line, as we all have differing rooms, systems, and ears. So to get that paranoid about a reviewer having exchanged personal messages with a suppplier is just showing that somebody has their priorities a little bit skewed! ;)

Nuuk, Sep 2, 2007
  16. mellstock

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

come on stereo mic, lets see your best effort, if all you consider simon to have done is stick a few caps and a ribbon in a wooden box. I'm sure he'sdoen exactly the same measuring and testing and any other manufacturer who uses off the shelf drive units.

sq225917, Sep 2, 2007
  17. mellstock

ShinOBIWAN

I personally think that a super tweeter is best used in conjunction with a fullrange driver where it works alone and without potential conflict with another driver.

Integrating it at a point on the frequency spectrum where another driver is already having more than adequate output will not only unnecessarily boost output where the drivers overlap but also lead to phase issues due to the small wavelengths involved with high frequencies and the super tweeter' acoustic centre being impossible to bring close enough to the existing tweeter in order to negate these lobing artefacts. On the other hand this purely a technical dissection and theory vs. reality can be rather different especially when you throw in a good dose of subjectivity and personal preference.

I think the best way to add the super tweeter is to bring it in as you would any other driver and that either means putting a low pass filter on the existing tweeter and then crossing at that point to the super tweeter where it extends the response or use with a driver that doesn't have sufficient top end and/or a highly directive nature at such frequencies ie. fullrange.

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 2, 2007
  18. mellstock

Stereo Mic

That would be my feelings exactly, although I might well bring one in earlier occasionally as some drive units show evidence of breakup as they roll off in the top octave.

My questioning was in reply to this post from Tenson.

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  19. mellstock

melorib Lowrider

And it is exactly what I have done...

melorib, Sep 3, 2007
  20. mellstock

JANDL100

I'll keep out of the forum tussles, and just add my 2p worth about supertweeters.

I owned the Townshend for about 3-4 years. I first had them with Avantgarde Unos and then Kharma Ceramique 3 spkrs. I'd judge them to be marginally effective with both speakers - tbh I'd have been better off upgrading something else to the tune of £800.

I then bought some Audiostatic DCI Wings "full range" stats - and the addition of the supertweeter created absolute havoc - sounded truly disjointed and awful. Quite baffling but definitely repeatable!

At that point I gave up and sold them.

JANDL100, Sep 23, 2007
Ask a Question