[Review] An afternoon with Zanash

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tony.garner, May 21, 2007.

1. tony.garner

tony.garner Tony

An afternoon with Zanash

Don't know whether review is right place for this, or whether this will turn into another I like Zanash tribute. You judge.

During the course of this session we had available, Electrocompaniet 25 watt class A amps, Classe integrated,Audio Synthesis passive, Yamaha NS100,Sonus Faber Grand Piano,early QLN's and Dahlquist DQ10. My wires were, VDH speaker cble, Transparent speaker cable,VDH interconnect, Kimber interconnect, and the usual DIY cat5 and single core interconnects.

Zanash bought a wealth of unusual bits and bobs, some of which were easy to understand, and others way over my head. None of the products he used were in any way poor or retrograde, and I promise you no attempt was made to hard sell anything.

First we listened to my usual setup to get Zanash used to my sound preferences. Then the fun began.

Zanash then produceed a CD of Cowboy Junkies(Ithink that's what it was) and asked me to play it. No doubt about it this CD was superbly recorded with lots of detail and ambience. Then Zanash produced the same disc but this time one that had been CD Lathed and fluxed.This process takes a bit of plastic from around the edge of the CD , and then is cleaned with alcohol,so I wasn't expecting much difference. WRONG!!
    There was a fairly major improvement, nearly shocking in magnitude. The CD was now even more involving with a big reduction in treble splash and a lower noise floor.

Zanash then fluxed one of my known CD's, and one that I just happened to have in duplicate. Again, no doubt about it there was a definite improvement albeit somewhat smaller without the lathe treatment.

Having started with all this snake oil, Zanash then proceeded with wires. Firstly his silver/gold hybrid which had a beautiful presentation, then his platinum alloy interconnect which improved on even that.Both of these cables I thought first class in physical construction, and both were a delight soundwise.

Then onto something even rarer than snake oil. A round silver box with a ghostly emitted blue light. If you doubt cable differences, how about something that purports to change the air molecules.I should perhaps add that I am an audiophile of many years and I believe I have my feet firmly on the ground.

I couldn't believe the difference that thingy made. So Zanash, kill it( which he did with his mobile phone!!!) and lets get back to basics. Check everything, must be some difference somewhere, but no, none was found. So Zanash, lets switch the thing back on while we are listening, reasoning that the thingy takes a little while to function. At precisely the same moment some time into the track we both looked at each other to confirm that at that moment we had recognised a distinct improvement in the sound. I described it as a more organic sound, something my Electrocompaniets do when they get nice and warm. A real and worthwhile improvement.

Then finally onto 3mm silver speaker cable which was also beautifuly constructed. Fast and precise with excellent detail and imaging and a good solid bass response.

Sorry this review has been so long, but I cannot emphasise enough how thoroughly NICE this guy was, no pushy salesman bit, and a genuine love of our audio hobby.

Some really, really slippery snake oil here, but hey, I'm a convert and will happily bathe in the stuff. Long live our audio hobby, and pioneers like Zanash.

tony.garner, May 21, 2007
  2. tony.garner

zanash

Cheers ...... and thanks for tea and cakes.

its 5mm [rather than the 3mm] ....

Got to hears some great music.....and to be able to mess with tony's ears was great !

the blue light thing ...was tremendous very close to the biggest change I've heard ....

I'd urge anybody with the slightest doubt or interest to get a demo from uberphon.

zanash, May 21, 2007
  3. tony.garner

Tenson Moderator

You have had that blue light thing for quite a while now, does that mean you have bought it?

Tenson, May 21, 2007
  4. tony.garner

DavidF

still can;t afford it pete!

DavidF, May 21, 2007
  5. tony.garner

Jimbo

Noticed he didnt try the Behringer DEQ in your system. Another leap forward if your room is in need of it. Jim.

Jimbo, May 21, 2007
  6. tony.garner

zanash

Can only do so much in the time ...the deq needs some setting up ...also this was not a visit to sort room issues just an invite to get together .....

tenson ...22nd of may was decision day do I buy it or return it ?

very tricky I don't have £750 notes just lying around, is the unit worth the cost ? can I live with something that I can't explain ?
    Having used the unit in over 10 different systems, patently the unit works as all the listeners besides me were left in a state between wonderment and astonishment.

So it boils down to can I live without the unit .......

zanash, May 22, 2007
  7. tony.garner

zygote23

Just a thought here and i'm not fully awake so don't shoot me but have you tried one of those de ionisers that used to be popular a few years ago. I wonder what would happen if you placed that near the old Hi fi?

zygote23, May 22, 2007
  8. tony.garner

zanash

yes a pf member had one .....it played old harry with the blue light.

once switched off the results were far more even.....

I had thought that it may be an ioniser but ....it will not dispell smoke ...so its not a negative ion emmiter...

zanash, May 22, 2007
  9. tony.garner

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

so it's mains conditioner with a 700 quid blue light?

sq225917, May 23, 2007
  10. tony.garner

ShinOBIWAN

Zanash doesn't need to spend 700 chunks to improve his system. Smoke some pot, listen to some music and hear the improvements.

ShinOBIWAN, May 23, 2007
  11. tony.garner

zanash

Joking aside.....your not a million miles off

In my younger days ...I did indulge the effect is of the same magnitude .....I often listen to music and think it never sounds as good now on an infinitely better system....

the blue light does bring the performance back far closer ....

Could the unit be heightening ones senses ?

who knows....

oh yes ...no its not a mains conditioner and no I wont be opening it up !
    but if you want a listen I can bring it up to you .....?

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
    zanash, May 23, 2007
Ask a Question