[Review] Auric Illuminator

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by technobear, Apr 20, 2006.

1. technobear

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I have some stock left if you guys wish for some, though Its going fast lol!!! :D

wadia-miester, Apr 21, 2006
  2. technobear

mr cat Member of the month

I'll have one in that case - whats the price etc - do you accept paypal..?

cheers

mr cat, Apr 21, 2006
  3. technobear

unclepuncle

If I'd known you stocked it I'd have bought it off you Tony, but I've already paid for some off ebay in the states. Mind you, you could have mentioned it in one of the PM's you sent me this week if it's so good:D . Never heard of the stuff before this thread started today.

unclepuncle, Apr 21, 2006
  4. technobear

Been using it for 3 years or so, no hassle most guys dismiss it til the hear it.

wadia-miester, Apr 21, 2006
  5. technobear

well, if you sell me one...hint...hint....

mr cat, Apr 22, 2006
  6. technobear

Mr Cat,

would you kindly email me your details at the website please and we'll sort you sir.
    many thanks Wm

wadia-miester, Apr 22, 2006
  7. technobear

Godfather

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2006
    Godfather, Apr 24, 2006
  8. technobear

I'll probably have to wait until next pay day as I've just spent 273 on a new digi camera...

mr cat, Apr 25, 2006
  9. technobear

unclepuncle

Received my pack from Gene Rubin Audio in California (bought off his ebay auction) this morning. No VAT or Duty so total cost was less than £28. So if Tony has sold out I can recommend this supplier. Haven't got an amp at the minute so I will have to report it's benefits (or not) at a later date.

unclepuncle, Apr 26, 2006
  10. technobear

Garmt

In the Netherlands, it is available for €48.

Garmt, Apr 26, 2006
  11. technobear

Hamilton

Well what do you know?

I also received a package from Gene Rubin yesterday (very quick delivery).

My partner and I spent yesterday evening listening to a variety of cd's pre and post treatment, and...

...just what others have said - cymbals cleaner and more real, less hash and grit, drums crisp and thwacky and a general sense of more space/depth/presence. Both of us were rather surprised at how well this stuff works, and rather curious as to what it actually is.

Improvement wasn't really detectable on our second system though so like someone said above it probably does depend on the ability of the system to resolve the fine detail.

Cheers

Gordon

Hamilton, Apr 27, 2006
  12. technobear

hi, I've sent you an e-mail...

cheers

mr cat, May 23, 2006
  13. technobear

I've just ordered one of these - so, I'll let you all know how I get on... :D

mr cat, May 24, 2006
  14. technobear

MO! MOnkey`ead!

..................?

MO!, Jun 18, 2006
  15. technobear

zanash

I must get some, I keep meaning to, I just never see it ....

zanash, Jun 18, 2006
  16. technobear

hi - yeah - sorry... :D

I've only had time toi do 2 cd's as I bought a Nos dac (which I'm gonna sell...) and I didn't want to make any changes more confusing..!! but the 2 cds I did mod (dire straits and KLF) - there are definate changes...not entirely sure if they're improvements tho..!!

but I'm, busy concentrating on the DAC - and I'll be selling on probably next week, tho I was hoping it would have been my MF (due to the size) - but the Nos dac doesn't seem to have much bass...

but I will do a better review when I get time!

cheers

mr cat, Jun 19, 2006
  17. technobear

eisenach

Apart from supposedly improving the sound, does this stuff improve trackability? My cd player's having difficulty tracking the outside of some discs, and it could be a cheap fix until the time comes to get the transport sorted out properly.

eisenach, Aug 6, 2006
  18. technobear

eisenach

I've just been over to Tony's - Mr. Coherent - and had a very good time. The systems I heard were delectable, but I wasn't prepared for the significant extras Tony wrings out of the poor humble CD disc, just by frying them in high intensity light, cutting their edges off, and bathing them in Illuminator. A highly surprising odyssey, and one which at each stage was so un-subtle as not to allow any scepticism at all. The 2 discs of mine that I took along and received the full treatment even sound superb at home, and the Illuminator I came away with is gob-smacking the whole family, even my daughter, and that's saying a lot.
    If you get chance to go any where near Welland (Malvern), then do. Your ears will never forget it, though the bank manager might be less happy!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
    eisenach, Aug 8, 2006
  19. technobear

zanash

that sounds like a result !

its very interesting that you should be able to hear such improvments, when certain people [no names] can't........

Having been thourghly dissed by certain members for claiming the very same!

Did WM use a small lathe [an angled blade in a box affair ] to cut the disc edges?

Just goes to show what you can achieve with the humble silver disc.

zanash, Aug 9, 2006
  20. technobear

eisenach

Yes, that's the one.
    The changes really were very interesting. The first disc of mine we listened to (All'Improvviso / Alpha 512) sounded very edgy in its virgin state. The high quality system through which we were listening brought out loads of detail, but the overall presentation was such that I was disappointed by the music. The female voice sounded much less sweet than I'm used to, though there was a lot more detail to be heard. She sounded a much less-good singer than I had thought, and she was standing behind the other instruments! The Lutes had loads of bass, but it was flabby and woolly. The clarinet sounded matter-of-fact.
    First up: the light treatment. This tidied up the sound straight away. The bass was much tighter and better defined, the voice was back, and she souded good again. In particular, the clarinet was sounding better. A kind of cinema frame flicker effect to the sound disappeared. (You know what I mean, the "bits" of sound instead of seeming detached from each other, joined and flowed.) We were also starting to hear the recording venue's accoustic.
    Bevelling the edge next: this changed the presentation of the music. The singer came forward, the music joined up and flowed much more naturally, the clarinet had real life and swirl and there was musical propulsion to the sound, real drive. You could hear the room accoustic much more, and notes were longer.
    Finally Auric Illuminator: this was the icing on the cake. It polished up the presentation, made it seem even more natural and relaxed, but with a real sense of forward movement. The voice shone: she is a bloody good singer again now! The lutes sang with a controlled but deep bass and the clarinetist was enjoying himself. The room accoustic was tangible.
    The overall result: a much more natural and enjoyable performance. At last you could listen to the music and not the "presentation".
    The amazing thing is that all this information was on the disc to start with

eisenach, Aug 9, 2006
Ask a Question