[Review] DAC64 £2,000 vs. Behringer DEQ2496 £200

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Tenson

Nuuk

That's right, they are required for the digital interconnects. ;)

Nuuk, Apr 2, 2006
  2. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Lol, in that case I should ask what I was going to before, what digital interconnects do you speak of?

Tenson, Apr 2, 2006
  3. Tenson

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Use 100R.

All you need are small size carbon composite (NOT carbon film) types. AB's are the quintessential ones.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 2, 2006
  4. Tenson

Nuuk

I have to go out this morning but a quick search in the Farenll catalogue turned up olye one carbon composite from ttelectronics and they only have that in values from 1K up.

The RS site shows nothing under carbon composite.

I'll search further when I get back. I would guess from my experience that nobody has actually been able to try digital in and out on the DEQ2496 using these interconnects! :eek:

Nuuk, Apr 3, 2006
  5. Tenson

Hi,

You do not have to use CC's, just NI resistors. Metalfilm is fine and they come in NI.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 3, 2006
  6. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Thorston, what are the differences between non-inductive, non-compliant and obviously the inductive and the compliant resistors? I looked on Wikipeadia but found no joy!

Tenson, Apr 3, 2006
  7. Tenson

Hi,

I have no idea what "compliant" resistors are.

Carbon Composite resitors are basically slugs of a carbon composite that is hot molded and afterwards selected for value. They are inherently non-inductive.

Most other resistors are made by depositing a given film (Metal, Carbon etc) on a ceramic former (which can slightly piezoelectric) and cutting a spiral grove into it to set the correct value, making it in effect an inductor, hence these resistors, just like normal wire-wound resistors tend to be inductive to a much higher degree than the dimensions suggest.

Non-Inductive resistors use a variety of methodes that do not require a spiral grove, wirewound resistors usually are bifilar wound (I often make my own bifilar wirewound low resistance ones for such jobs as can use [if absolute temperature stability is not essential] them using copper or silver wire ).

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 3, 2006
  8. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Ahh okay on RS they had RoHS 'compliant' and 'non-compliant'. I didn't notice the RoHS! All it meant was that they don't have much lead, mercury and other nasty substance's.

Tenson, Apr 3, 2006
  9. Tenson

Nuuk

They are the ones that are a sod to solder in! :D

The search goes on.........:(

Nuuk, Apr 3, 2006
  10. Tenson

de'Kev

www.schuro.de have got some non-magnetic vishay dales posted at a good price. IF they'll respond to you :( I'v:( e tried a couple of times to buy from them without success so I guess they only sell in Germany. Worth a try though at 30p each :)

Kev

de'Kev, Apr 4, 2006
  11. Tenson

Nuuk

Thanks Kev. So are non-magnetics the same as non-inductive?

If so I can probably get somebody in Germany to get them for us. What values were you after?

Nuuk, Apr 4, 2006
  12. Tenson

de'Kev

Good question!! :confused:
    I assume that non inductive and non magnetic are the same, but of course I'm probably wrong ......again :rolleyes:

I'm after some IRF9610's and caps, their prices seem too good to be true, haev you checked them out yet?

Kev

de'Kev, Apr 4, 2006
  13. Tenson

Nuuk

Ssssshhhh! ;) Yes, not bad at all. I'm going to have a longer look round to see if there is anything else that I want.

Now, non-magnetic, non inductive? Where's that Thorsten when you need him? :D

Nuuk, Apr 4, 2006
  14. Tenson

Nuuk

Kev, I am going to ask my friend in Germany to order some of those resistors so let me know if you want anything added to the order. ;)

Nuuk, Apr 5, 2006
  15. Tenson

Nuuk

I now have my DEQ2496 running with digital input and digital output. There is a clear improvement in using the digital output over the analogue output.

I am using the interconnects described on Thorsten's Yahoo group. I notice now that I am using the digital output interconnect, the signal LED on my DAC is permanently on whether or not the CDP is actually playing anything.

I have also found that using the auto room EQ still leaves me with a lot of tweaking to get the sound that I like the best.

The next step will be to replace the TL woofers with the dipole versions (when I get the extra amps built).

Good fun so far! :cool:

Nuuk, Apr 25, 2006
Ask a Question