[Review] Exposure 2010S Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rockhopper, Aug 14, 2006.

1. rockhopper

rockhopper

Exposure 2010S Integrated Amp

System:

Mission DAD5 > MF X-DAC
    Exposure 2010S
    Neat Mystique 2

The amp arrived on Friday. Had a great night, my mate came down with his Meridian 506 CD player, as my current source (on eBay later today) is now by far the weak link.

Started off with my source (Mission DAD5 and Musical Fidelity X-DAC). Started with a few tracks from Dave Matthews - Live at Red Rocks, as this is a CD i've listened to over again and I know it really well. The Exposure is so much more life-like, and the detail levels are amazing. The system is now much more natural sounding.

Went on to Pink Floyd - Pulse. "Learning To Fly", "Coming Back To Life" and "Another Brick In The Wall" were played. All great songs. Listening to "Coming Back To Life" was at first surprisingly uninvolving. I was disappointed at this time. And puzzled as it sounded so good with Dave Matthews! We swapped over to the Meridian 506, and this was a total turn around. The sound was much more natural again, the top end harshness of the X-DAC had gone, completely changed to a smooth sound, much easier to listen to. Even in the first few seconds of "Coming Back To Life", with just a simple introduction, it sounded 100% better. The improvement was instantly there.

"Another Brick In The Wall" was awesome. The part where everything stops except the simple thudding drum beat, just before the chorus I think, sounds so open and clean.

We didnt bother going back to the X-DAC. I didnt realise the CD player could make such a difference before. Natrually i'll be on the lookout for a 2nd hand 2010S CD player. Either that or a 2nd hand Meridian player. Not sure yet. You'd expect the matching 2010S to be the best bet, but the Meridian sounded so good.

I'll definately be keeping the 2010S and the Neat speakers. Its a sound I know i'll be happy with for years. So im almost there, just need the CD player now.

The Qinpu I had was a great amp, and I wasnt expecting a HUGE increase in performance. Considering the price difference (Qinpu £300 - Exposure £600), I wouldnt say the Exposure is twice the performance, but what I would say is i've now got a much better matching system, and a very natural and enjoyable sound. The Exposure just sounds right with the Neat speakers!:D

rockhopper, Aug 14, 2006
  2. rockhopper

rollo

Rockhopper,
    Remember this GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT.The source is the most important componet besides the speakers.No the X-DAC is not garbage this is just an expression.
    Synergy really is the key to system building.If Exposure makes a CDP I would give it a listen.Have fun
    rollo

rollo, Jan 10, 2007
  3. rockhopper

Allan10

Allan10, May 18, 2007
  4. rockhopper

myrman

I love the Exposure amps myself. The 2010 CD player is also excellent and can be picked up at good prices second hand.

myrman, May 22, 2007
  5. rockhopper

ob1971

That is a superb system for progressive rock.....upgrade your CDP to exposure 2010s and the Trio will rival any midrange system.

ob1971, Jul 10, 2007
  6. rockhopper

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, he's upgraded his kit a fir bit since he started this thread... :D

mr cat, Jul 10, 2007
  7. rockhopper

rockhopper

:D

now im downgrading :( need cash:mad:

rockhopper, Jul 10, 2007
Ask a Question