[Review] Freeview boxes - Nokia vs Sony CTX-800

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Freeview boxes - Nokia vs Sony CTX-800

I've had a Nokia freeview box for around a year.
    During that time, I had real issues with it giving me a blue screen of death (well actually a red dot of death, but I'm sure you get my meaning). This happened maybe one time in three when first turning the unit on.
    To say it was annoying would be the understatement of the year.

The retailer I bought it from (major competitor to Comet), claimed that this was normal. Well after months of arguing the case, they finally agreed to give me a full refund.

So in the meantime I checked around the net for well reviewed units and eventually ordered a Sony freeview from Amazon. As it happens, this unit is £2 less than the refund I'm getting, so that's a good thing.

The bad news was that I needed to order not only an optical lead, but also one with a 3.5mm jack adapter. The good news is that Richers sell these for £20 all in.

The review bit is dead easy on this:
    - Setup was dead easy, but then so was the Nokia
    - Visually the Sony is substantially better looking, simply way more vibrant
    - Sonically the Sony kills the Nokia. I frankly struggle to believe the difference. Both were connected via digitical leads to my AV amp, which is a cheapy marantz unit and some fairly second rate surround sound speakers. Despite this, the Sony really is well ahead
    - Channel hopping is definitely faster, as are the menu options
    - I could never get my Marantz learning remore (RC2000) to operate my old Nokia unit. It handles the Sony rather nicely
    - It does look nicer from a visual perspective, vaguely resembling a PS2 in silver, as against the Nokia, which was just another cheap plastic consumer good.

So, £2 saved and a substantial improvement in visuals, sound, functionality and operability. Result!

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 27, 2004
  2. Mr_Sukebe

stumblin Kittens getting even...

I had one of these - cracking unit. Agree totally with everything you said, hence making it a good review.

stumblin, Jul 28, 2004
  3. Mr_Sukebe

Rory satisfied

and now the 7day EPG is now running for the Sony VTXS800 ( i assume you mean this one)

Rory, Jul 28, 2004
Ask a Question