[Review] Headsave Classic Headphone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Nov 16, 2004.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Headsave Classic Headphone Amplifier

A guy named 1UP on the headfi forum was kind enough for him to send me his Headsave Classic, a budget headphone amplifier from www.headsave.com and to cut a long story short, this is one EXTREMELY impressive headphone amplifier for a beer money budget. This thing handily destroys any headphone amp I've heard before and I've had some pretty decent ones (or so I thought).

Anyway, I'm not going to write it all again, so here is my impression thread on headfi.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1077259&posted=1#post1077259

PBirkett, Nov 16, 2004
  2. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

Cheers for that Paul. I've been looking at getting a headphone setup and spotted the HeadSave page before. Do you know where you can get these in Europe (or with a European spec 240V/50Hz PSU)?

Also, (off topic somewhat) do you reckon the Ety 4P (or 4S) phones are a sensible option for a "proper" headphone setup? If I get a pair of Etys (and it would have to be one of the "4" variants) then ideally I'd like to use the same ones with a head amp. at home and with my iPod on the move and in the office in London. Are the 4Ps too sensitive to use with a head amp?

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2004
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Get the amp from www.headsave.com he ships internationally and they are his own design. You need to pick up a "Mascot PSU" from RS Components as well (but if you dont buy the power supply from headsave, which you wont, you dont pay for it). Think a more or less fully maxed out Classic would be around $210 or so for the whole lot including delivery and PSU.

The Ety's are very detailed, neutral but very analytical ear buds. You should look at the Ultimate Ears range. They can tailor them to fit into your ear canal personally (I think they make you send them a mould of your ear canal) and probably sound less analytical, or you could go with the Shure E5C which have a warmer more bassy sound than Ety's. I'm sure theres more new earbuds, try searching headfi.

You wont have any problems using them on a headphone amp.

PBirkett, Nov 16, 2004
  4. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

Cheers Paul. Only asked about using the 4P's with a headphone amp because they're deliberately more sensitive than the 4S's to work better with portable gear. This is looking promising. I've lurked on headfi for a bit, checking out the various Shure vs. Ety threads and reviews. Putting them together, combined with David Price's (who's reviews I trust) glowing review of the Ety 4P's in this month's HiFi World I think the 4Ps are the ones for me. For the price I can get them for online in Spain (€300) that compares well with the US price ($330) especially once you've added on import duty and VAT.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 17, 2004
  5. PBirkett

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Be very careful with the Etymotic headphones.... I have set which I used for about a month before putting in cupboard where they have remained ever since.... basically I find them excruciatingly uncomfortable, you have to get them right inside your ear canal before you get any kind of decent sound from them. Possibly getting custom fitments for them might help but not sure where you can get this done locally.

Even then, they have no bass to speak of whatsoever, people will tell you they have bass but no overhang and *totally* accurate bass, but what that means is subjectively you will wonder where the bass has gone.

I was using them with a Headroom Total Airhead amp and with a Sugden Headmaster, both had plenty of power to drive them.

Well that's my opinion....

alanbeeb, Nov 17, 2004
  6. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I believe the 4P's can be turned into the 4S by simply purchasing an adapter cable which increases the impedance and makes them less sensitive.

Alanbeed has a good point by the way, they are very analytical with no warmth whatsoever and its critical you get a perfect fit / seal to hear any decent bass whatsoever.

PBirkett, Nov 17, 2004
  7. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

Thanks for the comments alan. I'll see if I can audition them first somewhere before shelling out. I'm used to using ear canal phones as I've been using Sony EX70s for years, and currenly use them with my iPod.

Which model of Etymotics do you have Alan?

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 17, 2004
  8. PBirkett

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I think its the 4P - I bought them to use with a dedicated amp so was not worried about the load.

the other thing to watch for is the cable - its quite short. You have to remain completely still when using as anything knocking or rubbing the cable is transferred into instant aural agony!

To be honest, I think they are a hyped product. What they do, they do very well - apart from the bass the sound is incredibly accurate and clear and they totally isolate you from the outside world. But the lack of bass and discomfort tends to be skated over in reviews.

alanbeeb, Nov 17, 2004
Ask a Question