[Review] Hifi Critic,

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sq225917, Mar 6, 2007.

1. sq225917

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Hifi Critic,

having just received the two first issues today,i can happily inform you that the same reviewers are as toothless as they ever were.

there's no critique in hifi critic..

just fawning.

martin colloms intro to cable tests is just regurgatated marketing speak with no tech to back up science-speak assumptions.

sq225917, Mar 6, 2007
  2. sq225917

Tenson Moderator

I rather thought as much having flicked through them at the show. :(

Tenson, Mar 6, 2007
  3. sq225917

Arrowhead

Just think, the money you've wasted on the subscription to Hifi Critic, would have made a modest deposit on some decent cable. :D

Arrowhead, Mar 6, 2007
  4. sq225917

Snoo

Are you going to cancel your subscription including a snotty letter? :)

Snoo, Mar 6, 2007
  5. sq225917

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

no im going to give them some time to get it together. and then flame the hell out of them on the forums, destroying their perceived worth.....

Mu Ha Ha.

having read the second issue they do seem to be warming up to the task in hand. on a reprise of the cd player test from issue one,they rate them against a 5 year old rotel,and score the rotel more highly.

so thats pretty damning,and the sort of thing i want to hear...

and the review of the cables is much better than the 2 page intro, they dump on a few cables.

sq225917, Mar 6, 2007
  6. sq225917

mosfet

If this is the case then I'll happily admit I was wrong to give them the benefit of the doubt based on their editorial policy of “serious critical insightâ€Â. If “serious critical insight†actually means just more flowery prose and pandering to wisdoms rather than applying some critical objectivity - then I won't be bothering either.

mosfet, Mar 7, 2007
  7. sq225917

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

having disected both issues in detail now i feel i have more of a handle on their direction.

if you are looking for damning indictments of whole swathes of the industry as peddlars of snake oil then it's not going to be for you.

i'm noticing bias already to valve equipment and dare i say it some snobbery in terms of musical enjoyment over absolutely fidelity in some of the right ups. i guess thats representative of the reviewers and there preferences.

it might be nice to hear what the guys use at home and what their primary tastes in music are.

sq225917, Mar 8, 2007
Ask a Question