[Review] Ive been "zanashed"

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by banpe2006, Mar 25, 2007.

1. banpe2006

zygote23

I buy shit loads of records and cd's. The ones I don't like I sell on (or give away).

Sometimes I make a silly amount of profit ;). Does this make me a business (or charity if I give em away).

zygote23, Apr 7, 2007
  2. banpe2006

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

From wikipedia - " The owners and operators of a business have as one of their main objectives the receipt or generation of a financial return in exchange for their work — that is, the expense of time and energy — and for their acceptance of risk — investing work and money without certainty of success. "

It's probably the case that one of your main objectives is not the occasional piece of revenue that you may generate - your main objectives are to build a record collection and enjoy listening to it.

bottleneck, Apr 7, 2007
  3. banpe2006

zanash

I don't advertise...people come to me normally by word of mouth ...often or not its question of system set up but some have heard one of my cables and want to try them.

I've even a reputation on forums in which I don't post .....

If being a business is helping to setup a system or tune a system to get the best from it or mending a cable here and there for free

then I'm a business......what I'm not is a charity so I don't make a loss on a cable I build [well not often]

I try to be friendly....I've even help rooms at shows by lending a cable or two for no return.

I suppose offering advice for free could in some respects be twisted ........but to be honest I don't care what people think.

this look a reasonably accurate definition of a business
    http://www.investorwords.com/623/business.html

business...........

Definition
    A commercial activity engaged in as a means of livelihood or profit, or an entity which engages in such activities.

I don't think making a cable or two every other week quite falls into this definition or making the odd visit to people.

Now... if I have the time I will try my hardest to help them.
    ...you know its a real surprise to see how many people have been turned away from the professionals because they could not be bothered or the problem was too small or they didn't want to spend several thousand pounds when a 10 or 20p solution will do.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
    zanash, Apr 7, 2007
  4. banpe2006

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

just to add.... 'so what if you make a few quid from it'?

it's not like money or business are dirty words.

NB - I'm not questioning your friendly motives pete - you've helped me several occasions yourself.

nb - hope you're enjoying the bank holiday weekend!

bottleneck, Apr 7, 2007
  5. banpe2006

Tenson Moderator

Pete, I think you really are a great guy who helps a lot of people without asking for anything in return. :) But so do I, and many others. That doesn't stop my modifying of DEQs being a business and it doesn't stop you regularly making cables and selling them for a profit from being business either.

As for not advertising, I was actually quite surprised to see you with a bag full of cables at the hi-fi show giving them out to people to demo. That is active promotion of a product. As is giving them to dealers to use in their room. If I were to give some acoustic treatments to a dealer to help their room sound better would that not be promotion? An impressed customer asks 'what cables are you using?' and boom, you have some business.

Making a cable every week is a lot more than most people need for personal use.

I don't want this to be taken as an attack on Zanash because it honestly is not meant that way. As I said, everything he does is great as far as I am concerned, but I object to being told 'I’m not a business' because given the above, to me that seems misleading. That really is my only gripe here and having said that I am happy to leave it at that.

Tenson, Apr 7, 2007
  6. banpe2006

zanash

simon

I had a couple of cable in my bag when you saw me ...one I'd brought down for you and the other for mathew bowden ...to whom I'd promised a set ....

I had specifically brought them down for you, as you had expressed an interest in our pm's over the src that you bought from me ..quote "I'm a confirmed cable sceptic" My reply was "i'll bring you one down sometime for you to listen to " I then thought the chances of bump into one another at the show where quite high......

you just don't seem to accept all these peoples accounts ....
    I'm certain there not all telling porkies

You say you don't want to make this into an attack on me, well from where I'm sitting, I can tell you it doesn't come over that way..

I ask you, why should you be make this attack on my integrity at
    all ...?

zanash, Apr 7, 2007
  7. banpe2006

zygote23

At the risk of sounding patronising again this just reeks pointless nitpicking by a disgruntled youngster.

Simon if you'd not intended any ire or angst you could have kept your thoughts to yourself.

If I were reading this in search of room conditioning I'd be thinking twice before approaching someone who so publicly attacked another forum member.

Think first speak later perhaps or keep it all to the PM system.

zygote23, Apr 7, 2007
  8. banpe2006

Tenson Moderator

Its not an attack on your integrity as I said, I just think it is misleading to say it is not a business since IMO that suggest there is no profit involved. And for the reasons I outlined above it seems very much like business activity. But, given what you said about bringing the cables for specific people then thats fair enough.

Zygote, its not an attack but you seem to be taking it that way. I simply said it seems like business to me and that it seems a bit cheeky to say its not. This is how it seems to me. Why is there such a strong defence against that? I don't understand why you want to argue so strongly that it isn't, is there something wrong with running a small enterprise and making a bit of money?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
    Tenson, Apr 7, 2007
  9. banpe2006

zygote23

Simon I guess it's not really my argument and I probably should keep my nose out. It does, from a casual onlookers point of view, look like a bit of a pointless strop........sort of like you were thinking out loud when you probably should have thunk out quiet lol ;)

zygote23, Apr 7, 2007
  10. banpe2006

banpe2006

I started this post, so I would ask respectfully if it be possible for me to finish it? Both sides have valid reasons for their points of view and have expressed them clearly. That is the beauty of an argument. However, when the point has been made by both sides, there is little point in its continuation unless for alternative purposes.
    "whether tis business or not,
    ..that was the plot.
    I care not a jot,
    my cables are hot.
    Thanks to the man with "silver" in hand,
    Judas not he,
    but midas on ZG.

banpe2006, Apr 7, 2007
  11. banpe2006

Tenson Moderator

Excellent post :)

Tenson, Apr 7, 2007
  12. banpe2006

DavidF

basically I agree with the above...+

1) pete ALWAYS lets you listen and decide about cables ist (at a known £) before buying ....so wheres the issue?

(If pete makes a bit on his cables, why shouldn't he?)

2) pete has given me an ENORMOUS amount of help in the past 12 months (FOC) ....... my knowledge has developed accordingly.

3) His knowledge is (highly) impressive. For sure he could make a lot of money ekse where..........but he chooses to help people with a similar enthusiam (and cleary not just myself).

Pete has been too my place several times, to listen to my kit, without asking for payment, although I try to cover his expenses.

Again, this has been of immense bnefit to me.

Sorry, Simon, I think you've got your sums wrong here.

regs,

David

DavidF, Apr 7, 2007
  13. banpe2006

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Having had dealings with Pete, I know he gets a buzz out of just heliping others out. I have email Pete lot's of times on advise in regards cables,tweeking etc...the cost Zero.

I do understand where "Tenson" is coming from, and believe me, I wondered where the catch was,when first dealing with Pete, then you realise that there isn't one...... IMO it just proves that it isn't all about money in the modern world we live in, and that Pete is certainly a rare breed.

STELLABAGPUSS, Apr 8, 2007
  14. banpe2006

Tenson Moderator

I'd like to say that my intentions were not to imply Pete’s motives are strictly to make money or that he does it particularly for any reason other than the love of it. My intentions were simply to say that from where I sit there is no way it can be classified as 'not business'. What was meant to be pretty much a one post comment seems to have taken over the thread!

Tenson, Apr 8, 2007
  15. banpe2006

DavidF

.....in this modern world that would certainly seem to be the case.

DavidF, Apr 8, 2007
  16. banpe2006

rollo

Zanish is a blessing to us all. He has found a way to make your system sound better. He offers these devices for sale because he wants to see you happy. He cannot give them away.
    If you comissioned a friend to make you anything I'm sure you would pay him for the materials and something for his time.
    If he refused to take money as your friend at least you would buy him a pint or two.
    Pete is that guy. So lighten up and let it be, he's just helping us all enjoy our music.

rollo

rollo, Jul 29, 2007
  17. banpe2006

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Can I just say Pete has been a huge help to me on various fronts - but Simon (Tenson) has also been a very big help too, and by the way in a particularly generous way. So all the best and thanks to both.

Have got my Krell back today so shall be trying to post some news before we go off on hols.

larkrise, Jul 29, 2007
Ask a Question