[Review] LCD projector for home cinema

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

LCD projector for home cinema

I thought that some of you might be interested in a quick run down of my findings following the purchase of an LCD projector recently.
    It's a Panny AE500, which has just been replaced by the AE700. As such, the AE500 is being sold off at pretty good prices in some places, and mine cost just under £1k, including a 72" screen.

The unit excepts D-Sub, Scart, Component, s-vid, Composite and DVI inputs, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a way of getting you kit up and running with it.
    At the moment I'm using my freeview box via scart, and DVD player via s-vid.
    The native resolution is 1280*720, so it meets the lower spec requirements for High Definition TV.

In use, well I've found the following:
    - In light conditions, the picture quality is rubbish. So if you need normal daytime TV, don't bother.
    - In dark conditions, the picture quality is brilliant, if anything it servers to highlight the deficiencies of the source more than the projector, as well shot scenes are sharp and accurate, whilst others can be out of focus or just plain ropey. I compared projectors against plasma and LCD before buying and much prefered the bigger screen option.
    - I'm presently using just a standard wall, which is very light cream as a colour. I guess I should paint it white, but the picture quality is still stunning. The unit has an adjustable lens for the size and focus of the frame, but the zoom doesn't have a great deal of travel, leaving me with a 105" diagonnal picture (still looks stunning though).
    - I tried the unit in different positions, which required the use of the "keystone" adjustment. From playing with that, I'd suggest you avoid using it where possible, and try to mount the unit directly opposite where the picture will be displayed.
    - The unit does have fans onboard, I found them only noticeable during quiet passages of a film
    - Moving to a projector has allowed me to dump my TV, which is a great advantage to me, particularly as I don't watch much daytime TV. One key benefit is the removal of a large lump of plastic, allowing the re-integration of my stereo and AV kit. I'd previously split the two systems after finding that a massive TV between speakers screws up the stereo sound quality.

At some point later this week I'll be trying out the idea of using my PC as a HTPC. Apparently this has two key advantages:
    1. The ability to use DVI connectivity, for an all digital transmission of data with no digital to analogue conversion or vice versa.
    2. For my PC to output a native signal size of 1280*720, which will apparently give a serious improvement to picture quality. I'll reservce judgement on that improvement until I've seen it for myself.

Hope that was helpful.

Mr_Sukebe, Nov 9, 2004
  2. Mr_Sukebe

wolfgang

That is a good review.
    Hmm...... Projector or Plasma/LCD screen.

:tempted:

wolfgang, Nov 10, 2004
  3. Mr_Sukebe

michaelab desafinado

IMO I wouldn't consider anything other than a projector if I upgraded my display. Much cheaper, bigger and (much) better quality picture and as Mike says, you don't have a huge box (or a huge thin slab of a plasma) between your speakers). Plasma only has marginal practicality benefits (ability to use in bright ambient light conditions).

Mike - I would try and home dem. a proper screen. They can make a huge difference to picture quality and even visibility in less than dark conditions.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Philip King Enlightened User

That's pretty interesting stuff, you said a grand with a 72" screen and then said you've got it on the wall at 105", did you therefore dump the screen in order to increase the picture size? Is this a normal price now and is 1280*720 is minimum standard one needs to look at?

As an aside, is there a matrix for working out how far the projector/wall/sofa need to be for correct viewing?

Philip King, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Mr_Sukebe

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Did you test LCD vs. the best of the CRT projectors, as LCD always has less contrast..

And what's bulb life like?

That's what's put me off buying one so far, if you've got to shell out £200ish every 300 hours of viewing!

leonard smalls, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Mr_Sukebe

michaelab desafinado

Leonard, CRT projectors have other issues though. Not least their cost. AFAIK you can't get a half decent CRT projector for less than £5K and you're really looking at £10K+ for a good one :eek: . Mike's LCD pj cost less than £1K.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2004
  7. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

I conducted no tests against a CRT projector, but that wasn't even on cost grounds. CRTs tend to drop out of alignment over a period of time, weigh nearly as much as my sub and have 3 times as many bulbs to blow.

Bulb life is a claimed 5000hrs, but then Sony used to claim however many hours for battery life in their walkmans and Aiwa claim a million watts a channel for their midi-systems. I'll be taking the claimed number as "rather optimistic".

At some point I will try using the screen the unit came with to see the visual differences. Unfortunately the optimum distance for the unit to give the right size of picture would mean that it sits right in the middle of my sofa. I don't want to put it to one side because of keystone correction issues and I'm not going to mount it on the ceiling because of the hassle and inconvenience of having to lay in the cables.

Mr_Sukebe, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Plasma's not for me matey

wadia-miester, Nov 10, 2004
  9. Mr_Sukebe

merlin

Nice one Mike :)

I'd agree with everything you say, I recently plumped for the Sony HS20 and the PQ easily beats my old plasma and any LCD screen I have seen. I also find it far more relaxing to watch.

Bulb life is supposed to be 3000 hours on cinema setting, but given that my plasma became skip fodder after just 800 hours and cost twice the price, I am less concerned about bulb changes. Hell you can buy five spare bulbs for the price difference, give you 15,000 hours!

I mounted mine in a box above the settee and had the cables channeled up and through the loft. Didn't take long and was well worth the effort IMO. My only concern is the black levels, but you soon get used to them. Mike, how are the blacks on the Panasonic?

merlin, Nov 10, 2004
  10. Mr_Sukebe

Robbo

I agree,

Even though I jut got a plasma, If it wasnt for domestic considerations I would go for a projector. Probably an HS50. (this one allegedly does blacks with a huge contrast ratio of 6000:1)

Robbo, Nov 10, 2004
  11. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Because I don't use a dedicated screen, I think the blacks are pretty good, though it's hard to compare. Lets say that they're "acceptable".

What I did try tonight was connecting up a PC via DVI. I couldn't get it to run at the correct native resolution, and the image was still better than from my DVD player. Once I've sorted out the correct settings, I think that the HTPC route will ROCK!!!

Mr_Sukebe, Nov 10, 2004
  12. Mr_Sukebe

So High Contrast LCDs are OK then?
    I always had a liking for the big Barcos, but if you can get a decent Panasonic LCD for £1k I might think on't too!

Is it worth getting the high contrast screen? Or is it worth sticking with the one that comes with it?

Id have to buy the ceiling mounting kit too - and it also means introducing video-nasty frequencies to the music room.
    Praps I should give it a miss - if I start watching telly with the stereo on my electricity bills will go through the roof!

leonard smalls, Nov 12, 2004
  13. Mr_Sukebe

dunkyboy

Mmm, the HTPC via DVI will give you a SERIOUS improvement over ANYTHING via S-Video. And a well setup HTPC running good software will rival the very best (and hideously expensive) standalone DVD player/scaler combinations. It's fiddlier and more likely to crash ( :rolleyes: ) but a lot more flexible and a hell of a lot cheaper.

As for bulb life, I have a Sanyo Z2 (now two generations old) that I bought about 18 months ago and the original bulb is still going strong (touch wood), and I use my PJ all the time (often 10+ hours a week). My bulb is rated at 2000 hours, so a 5000 hour bulb should last years (even if it doesn't quite live up to the claims of the manufacturer).

And yes, PJs are by far the best video solution available. They've long since reached the point where the picture quality is better than any plasma/LCD/CRT telly. The only reasons to choose something else are if you watch a lot of daytime telly or if your room/domestic situation are somehow unsuited to a PJ and its screen. That said though, a modern digital PJ is about as unobtrusive as high quality video gets! And if you add a cheap CRT telly for daytime viewing there's no reason not to go for a PJ. :)

And as for black levels, the Sonys have historically lagged behind the other major budget PJ manufacturers (Panasonic, Sanyo, Sharp, etc) in this area and I believe they still do - the Sonys prioritise greater brightness, a longer throw and higher resolution (though this latter point is now basically moot with the 1280x720 LCD panels becoming the norm). The Panny 500/700 and Sanyo Z2/Z3 should have at least as good black levels as the Sony HS20, possibly a good deal better (I've not been keeping up with the latest PJ developments so I could be wrong). Also, a high contrast grey screen and a filter for the lens will give much better black levels (and contrast) at the expense of brightness.

PJs rule. :)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 13, 2004
  14. Mr_Sukebe

I was so inspired I bought a Panasonic AE500 as well!
    Shall be having fun fitting it..

leonard smalls, Nov 19, 2004
  15. Mr_Sukebe

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

SteveC, Nov 23, 2004
  16. Mr_Sukebe

Ya-Boo

Made an interesting read I,ve not concidered a PJ...been on the hunt for a

44 Plasma or rear projector TV

could you give a layman a few do/don'ts when looking down the PJ route
    I,m not looking at a change for a good few years once I decide which way to jump.

Ya-Boo, Jan 4, 2005
  17. Mr_Sukebe

Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock, Jan 4, 2005
  18. Mr_Sukebe

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Just an update to say I now have the panny AE700 installed if anyone needs an opinion. (Still waiting for a screen and a long DVI-HDMI cable though.)

SteveC, Jan 12, 2005
  19. Mr_Sukebe

Ya-Boo

Today saw a 50inch Sagam HDTV with a NEC computor/decoder box

TV was £1990 the NEC box of tricks according saleman{Comets} would not be on sale for another year cost £1000...... Simply Stunning picture best I,ve seen

Considering an hour earlier I,d just bought SONY WEGA 42" LCD 100Hz felt well
    pleased until I saw the HDTV :(

Ya-Boo, Jan 12, 2005
  20. Mr_Sukebe

wolfgang

SteveC,
    How do you come the decide on the Panasonic? Did you look at a few before thinking it is the best for the budget etc.

Since you are a reader of hifi forum you would know that we are not the best when it come to deciding on our toys. In the ideal world I would like to go into a shop were they have a set a few for direct comparison. Any one know what shop in Glasgow or Edinburgh have projectors set up for demonstration of toys ? Stereo Stereo has a good demo but the one they are pushing for are in the region of £5000.

wolfgang, Jan 13, 2005
Ask a Question