[Review] LFD Audio Mistral LE integrated amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rockhopper, Sep 17, 2007.

1. rockhopper

rockhopper

LFD Audio Mistral LE integrated amp

For reference, the rest of my system is Micromega Stage 4 CD, and Neat Motive 2 speakers.

For those who don't know, LFD are a very small British company who hand-build their gear.

Having heard that LFD amps have similar characteristics to Densen, and are high current and powerful, I couldnt resist having a demo of the Mistral LE integrated amplifier today. It came available 2nd hand, and the amps are very rare, so I grabbed the opportunity while I could.

I loaded the car with my full system, and went to set it up at the guys house, so we could do a comparison between my Densen B100 and the LFD. The listening room was tiny so it wasnt the most ideal demo. But it was good enough to pick out differences between the amps.

I knew that if it was to beat the Densen it would have to be something very special. We spent a couple of hours listening. I liked enough to want it :DLuckily, the seller wanted an amp with a built-in phono stage, and he liked the Densen, so we did a part ex there and then.

Build quality is superb, and although not as heavy as the Densen, it feels very solid and well made. There's 2 sets of speaker connections so i'll be biwiring at some point. Plenty of inputs, and a pre-out. All the usual stuff really.

Back at home i've been listening in my own room for a couple of hours, and this thing is shit hot. Seriously, its noticably a better amp than the Densen. It has all the similar qualities i.e. PRaT, energy, accuracy etc, but for me its another level up. The midrange is unbelievable. Vocals seem very real. Its a superb match for the Neat speakers as well. I'm over the moon with it:green:

rockhopper, Sep 17, 2007
  2. rockhopper

hi-fi evangelis

Hi Rock hopper,
    I would agree with you as have one as a back up to my current new set up. Have met Richard Bews a great Guy( owner Of LFD) He is extremely helpful any a very friendly chap. Makes some excelent products and does not receive the recognition he deserves. By the way he is not greasing my palm to say this, but thought i would just share my experience. i have also used his top of the range equipment.
    Keep on rocking

hi-fi evangelis, Sep 17, 2007
Ask a Question