[Review] Looking for an i-pod

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by analoguekid, Sep 2, 2004.

1. analoguekid

GundamSD Big Robot Fanatic

You see? If you had bought an iPod, you wouldn't have any problems getting accessories for it.

GundamSD, Sep 4, 2004
  2. analoguekid

mattross

What accessories do U mean? Apart from a replacement case there isn't much left to get. Vaja and iSkin do ones for the iRiver H series. If U need stuff like extra/replacement remotes or chargers U can get them from www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

mattross, Sep 4, 2004
  3. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

No as Gundam said I didn't buy an ipod so I have no need of accesories, most usefull ones included, was meaning like iskin, and one of those radio trnsmitter things for using ib the car, but it's ok now i googed it and am sorted for sources.

analoguekid, Sep 4, 2004
  4. analoguekid

mattross

mattross, Sep 4, 2004
  5. analoguekid

GundamSD Big Robot Fanatic

Someone said that those FM transmitters are illegal? Turns your iPod/iRiver into a Pirate radio station... or something like that.

GundamSD, Sep 4, 2004
  6. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Matt don't have a casstte player, car has cd/radio, i know they're not the best, prolly just keep using Cd's anyhow

Jerry - only illegal if yer caught!, but you are correct.

analoguekid, Sep 4, 2004
  7. analoguekid

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

I now love the iRiver.

Nope didn't buy one but they are turning up as the recorder of choice for live music. Stealth mics in hat and away you go.

LiloLee, Sep 4, 2004
  8. analoguekid

merlin

Sorry AK but that IRiver is nasty!

The iPod is probably the most perfectly conceived consumer lifestyle product of the past decade and as such is inherently desirable across ages and social groups. That nasty rip off is not. I wonder who will sell the most units?

merlin, Sep 4, 2004
  9. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Yeah Mike agree with everything you say, and the ipod will outstrip it by a huge margin, no doubt, and the ipod is gorgeous, and you can get loads of lovely stuff for it, but the iriver still sounded better to me, so that's why I chose it. Still filling it up with some loverly tunes and happy with my purchase, thanks.

analoguekid, Sep 4, 2004
  10. analoguekid

mattross

Of course Apple will sell shedloads of iPods. They have a very big marketing budget. I doubt iRiver or any other competing manufacturers from the far east spend anything on advertising outside of their home country. Ask the average Josephine or Joe in the street to name an MP3 player and I bet they would all say iPod.

At the very least some good healthy competition will keep 'em on their toes. If the likes of iRiver weren't making comparative products I'm sure there wouldn't be four generations of iPods around. Some of us will always stray to the dark side [well the iRivers are black], and I for one am happy I did. Ultimately we all benefit.

mattross, Sep 5, 2004
  11. analoguekid

blogger

Panasonic SRJ220 MD

Domfjbrown

You have pm re MD.

blogger, Sep 6, 2004
  12. analoguekid

sideshowbob Trisha

Thought I'd revive this thread. I had a chance to hear an iRiver through a very nice hi-fi this weekend (Cary integrated into Quad ESL57s) and thought it sounded excellent. From previous experience I know an iPod sounds excellent through a good hifi too. iRiver styling is a bit suspect, but the mic input got me thinking I ought to buy one, as I have many uses for that (recording gigs mostly, and before anyone gets uppity, a lot of the gigs I go to are by musicians who have no objection to being recorded).

So, I headed down to Tottenham Ct Rd yesterday to get me an iRiver, feeling smug about not being an iPod fashion victim. Once in the shop I decided to have a play with one of the new 40GB 4th gen iPods, just to compare, and noticed that Belkin make a universal mic adaptor which plugs into the dock connector, so the iPod becomes useable as a recording device. Interesting...

Instantly, I became an iPod fashion victim, and bought one instead of the iRiver, and a pair of Sony Fontopia in-ear MDR-EX71 headphones to go with it.

My conclusion: both sound great, the iRiver wins on the feature count (has a digital input and an FM radio as well as the mic), I could easily have bought either, but the iPod is a beautiful piece of design, and I'm a sucker for that.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 22, 2004
  13. analoguekid

julian2002 Muper Soderator

baaaah. you should have kept your naim gear ;)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 22, 2004
  14. analoguekid

michaelab desafinado

Nice one Ian :D . Those Sony EX71 headphones are also superb. I have the older model, the EX70. They're easily the best in-ear headphones available until you start looking at esoteric stuff like the Etymotic ER6/ER4 or Shure E3/E5 - and judging by comments on head-fi, not everyone is convinced the Etymotic and Shure products are any better.

Belkin make an excellent range of accessories for the iPod that put the Apple ones to shame. The Belkin version of the iTrip (very short range FM radio transmitter so you can use the iPod in the car without wires) is far superior to the iTrip. Unfortunately neither are available in the UK because of some silly laws about FM transmitters.

btw, you'll need to buy yourself some kind of case for your iPod cos otherwise it will get all scratched up in no time. I got myself one of these (well, the version for the 3G iPod):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 22, 2004
  15. analoguekid

Sgt Rock

Ian, you know it makes sence :)

Sgt Rock, Sep 22, 2004
  16. analoguekid

michaelab desafinado

Sense even ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 22, 2004
  17. analoguekid

Sgt Rock

Oops ;)

Sgt Rock, Sep 22, 2004
  18. analoguekid

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Ian - Way to go!!

I have a spare case for you provided it fits 4th Gen as mine is 3rd Gen.

LiloLee, Sep 22, 2004
  19. analoguekid

sideshowbob Trisha

Thanks Lee. Unfortunately 3G cases don't fit 4G iPods, and nobody (yet) had any 4G cases in stock yesterday, should be some around by the weekend though. For now I'm improvising with a drawstring felt bag that my old MD player came in, since ATM all I'm doing is hitting shuffle and let it do its thing it's fine.

These Sony headphones are brilliant, and for £35 a bargain. Since they go right into the ear canal, they block out external noise, and don't need to be played at high volume (which has the advantage of not leaking sound out and annoying everybody else with the sound of Sun Ra doing his mental organist bit). The cable's a bit microphonic, but not too bad.

Only using 2GB of the 40GB so far, but I've ripped tons of stuff (VBR MP3 optimised for highest quality). Kewl.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 22, 2004
  20. analoguekid

michaelab desafinado

Those Sony's are far more effective at reducing external noise than any active "noise-cancelling" headphones I've tried. Excellent for use on aeroplanes.

Anyone know if there'll be a software update for 3G iPod's to add the shuffle feature?

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 22, 2004
Ask a Question