[Review] Lyndorf TDA2200 & CD-1

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Shuggie, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Shuggie

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I have a Transporter on order so I can't comment yet, but they do make quite bold claims about the quality of the DAC and how it measures. I agree that digital out would seem to make it partially redundant, and there has been a thread on the slimdevices forum debating whether to call for a stripped down transport-only SB.

But why not try the Squeezebox v3? It's a nice looking and sounding piece of kit for a lot less money.

SteveC, Oct 6, 2006
  2. Shuggie

Daipat

SteveC, Liffy99 & Others,

Any further updates on the sound, performance, room correction functions of TDA 2200?

Specifically, I also have SB3 & Transporter and am in the middle of a new pre-amp / amp hunting. The TDA 2200 looks like a neat package. Any further advice / sharing welcomed.

Daipat, Jan 14, 2007
  3. Shuggie

Shuggie

Well, I have been using a SB3 with my TDA2200 for a few months, and once the SB PSU was upgraded to one based around a Paul Hynes PR3 discrete regulator module ( www.paulhynesdesign.com ), it is turning in a rather stunning performance. So much so that I am considering selling the CD-1, as I no longer foresee any great need for it, good though it is. One interesting (and unintended) experiment was with digital connections - to my surprise I find that I cannot discern any difference between a good DH Labs coaxial lead and a QED optical one.

Yes, the TDA2200 is a neat package and I am still very pleased with mine, although I have not tried RoomPerfect. The optional ADC card is very good, too. If you do go for one, bear in mind that they take 3 months to run in properly. Up to that point it can be disappointing.

Shuggie, Jan 14, 2007
  4. Shuggie

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Daipat, as my changed signature shows, I am now using the Transporter to drive valve amps direct, and the system is so good it has been promoted to 1st place over my other 5-ch system :) Therefore I have no new comments on the 2200 unfortunately.

SteveC, Jan 15, 2007
  5. Shuggie

Antony

I'd have to disagree with this, I enjoyed mine from day one! :)

Antony, Jan 21, 2007
  6. Shuggie

liffy99

TDA 2200 and Vista )not !)

Ever since my new laptop came with Vista (I was running XP before) I've been unable to access the DSP section of my Lyngdorf 2200 (non RP).
    I've tried all I can think of - different USB-serial converters, new converter drivers, running the Lyngford in slave and master modes, running Vista in administrator mode - all to no avail.
    I think the basic problem is at the PC end - it doesn't seem to want to recognise the converter / port or whatever.
    I'm not enough of a computer whizz to know what to do and Lyngdorf, Gecko and others have been of only limited help.
    Surely there's someone else out there (preferably in the UK) with a non RP 2200 and a Vista PC that's got this connection working.
    Can ayone help ? This has been going on for months and I really want to sort an active crossoiver for an old pair of Tannoy DC s. . . .
    Cheers

liffy99, Dec 13, 2009
  7. Shuggie

muz640

muz640, Dec 13, 2009
  8. Shuggie

liffy99

"running Vista in administrator mode" - see my post

Oh yes - Lyngdorf thought this was the universal solution (it's not).
    What I want is to find someone that actuall has a 2200, Vista laptop and can get them to talk !

liffy99, Dec 14, 2009
  9. Shuggie

muz640

Well if Lyngdorf cant help you, i guess no one can!

This is what id suggest (which you shouldnt have to do of course!) get yourself a second hand laptop or computer with XP on it, you could probably get a computer for £50, and a laptop for £90, you could sell it on again, or just keep it as a backup.

Sorry i can be of no other help, best, Jon

muz640, Dec 14, 2009
  10. Shuggie

ianb

I see I'm a few months late with this post (story of my life) but I've recently acquired a system similar to yours. I thought I'd reply incase you're still having problems. As of today my TDA2200 is successfully communicating with a Viao laptop running Vista (SP2). I'm using an Expresscard serial adapter I got on eBay. They're still for sale - eBay item number 320393853263. (Apparently Expresscards can connect to the main board via either USB or PCI - this uses a PCI chipset which seems to solve many of the problems people have with USB serial adapters.)

I've only just got this set up going today, but had no problems getting it to work. I'm pleasantly surprised by the power of the Lyngdorf DSP suite, incidentally. I'm puzzled by older posts in this thread and others which criticised it. It has 1Hz resolution in much of the audio band and can conjure up all sorts of filter shapes, including sharp q parametric filters. I didn't expect too much from my first attempt at equalising but my initial reaction is that the improvements are huge.

Ian

ianb, Aug 6, 2010
Ask a Question