[Review] mains cable - differences?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by keith, Jun 11, 2006.

1. keith

keith

mains cable - differences?

Whilst NOT trying to rattle the contention surrounding 'sounds' of cables, which many folk don't accept can happen;) , I recently bought a cable constructed from 'Supra Lo-rad' 2.5mm. This replaced home-made cable made from 3 x plaited 1mm house mains wire, which at the time appeared an improvement over the out-of-the-box connector.

Having tried the new cable for a week (= c.20 hours), I find that more/clearer detail can be heard, with greater control of the lower frequencies (using 'TDL Studio 3s', which do go low and need tight control from an amp:eek: ). Bass instruments are easier to follow. The criticism (so far) is that sibilance seems more prominent - what magazine critics might term "splashy"!

Any views, please?

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jun 11, 2006
  2. keith

keith

Oops:eek: What I should have put is that the cable is to the amplifier, and the 'sibilance' is consistent for all inputs: CD, DVD, TV, turntable...

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jun 11, 2006
  3. keith

zanash

Mains cable can and do make a difference......not everyone will admit to it or able hear it, but thats another issue.

What your hearing is the the amp performing closer to its design ideal IMO. So what your hearing less hash transmitted down and picked up by the mains. I find that cdp will often benift from a good mains cable far more than other bits of kit...so if you only have one cable try it in the cdp.

Sibilance is not splashy in my book ........but is very difficult to get rid of with out large scale cable changes. I've ofeten found its the speaker cables that are the problem, but better ic may help. pm if your interested in sorting this out !

zanash, Jun 11, 2006
  4. keith

Johnny

well of course it makes a difference but the difference is inaudible or negligible in most cases.

Johnny, Jun 11, 2006
  5. keith

keith

I'd hoped that by phrasing my enquiry as I did, the thread would avoid unhelpful responses - they are obviously not what I'm looking for. Oh well...

I have lessened the 'sibilant' issue by sticking 3 felt feet under the amp's slate support.

(Now ... dare I mention the word "burn-in"?)

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jun 11, 2006
  6. keith

zanash

johnny why not answer the questions I asked you previously ?

zanash, Jun 11, 2006
  7. keith

thrudge

I think Johnny lives under a bridge and eats little billy goats....

thrudge, Jun 14, 2006
  8. keith

AlanB Audiophile

Well I'm sorry. Every power, interconnect, digital cable sounds different. Directional interconnects reversed will alter the sound drastically. The position in the power block will also change the sound. If one cannot hear this clearly then either the system isn't good enough or the listener is really not LISTENING.

AlanB, Jul 26, 2006
  9. keith

zanash

i'd have to agree with that .......

zanash, Jul 26, 2006
  10. keith

anon_bb Honey Badger

Either that or you have an over active imagination

if its as obvious as you say then lets see a group of people give repeatable results in a rigourous double blind test

your $1M from randi awaits you ;)

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2006
  11. keith

Anex Thermionic

Haven't we been around this (pointless) debate enough times now?

Anex, Jul 26, 2006
  12. keith

Dom_ --->

A double blind test just tests the listeners ability.

Dom_, Jul 26, 2006
  13. keith

anon_bb Honey Badger

Double blind tests satisfy every other area of scientific enquiry - bar homeopathy, the paranormal, religion etc...

anon_bb, Jul 27, 2006
  14. keith

mr cat Member of the month

to me - the biggest difference gained with a power cable was when I used it on my sub for stereo duties

mr cat, Jul 27, 2006
  15. keith

zanash

Having done dbt.....even the results you know to be correct fail.....don't ask why I've no idea. It could be a lack of refference point or just the human way ?

Don't put all your faith in them ...remember you never hear of scientific tests that fail only those that work.....the failures are quietly buried and the test changed to make the results fit! IME

If you like what you hear its probabley right ....if you don't like it etc.

zanash, Jul 27, 2006
  16. keith

anon_bb Honey Badger

It means there is an error - either in the methodology or in the underlying knowledge, assuming it is not just a false negative - which can always occur the nature of significance testing being what it is.

"Survivor bias" does occur in science - notably anything with large amounts of money involved like pharma. It is science done badly - not an inditement of the scientific method itself.

anon_bb, Jul 27, 2006
  17. keith

Petergc

Having played with a few mains cables and conditioners, there is little doubt in my mind that they make a difference.
    Whether that difference is wholly positive is of course a different matter. Generally sound has appeared more etched, but individual instruments can lose depth and sound a bit thin. This was particularly the case with the Nordost Thor, which , in the end I found difficult to like.
    Of course others may hear no difference. Surely that's part of the joy of hi-fi, it's subjective. Just because I hear something and you don't, doesn't mean either of us is wrong!!
    I await the 'Yes but there cannot scientifically be any difference brigade'

Petergc, Jul 29, 2006
  18. keith

narabdela

Keep waiting. We just roll our eyes, give a little sigh and get on with reality. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

narabdela, Jul 29, 2006
  19. keith

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Aug 1, 2006
  20. keith

zanash

Mostly a bunch of naysayers......the odd voice that opposes their wisdomis shouted down.

Was there any thing specific.....?

I've heard cables that work and some that don't......not certain i know what your getting at.

zanash, Aug 1, 2006
Ask a Question