[Review] mains cable - differences?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by keith, Jun 11, 2006.

1. keith

DavidF

you have experience of this??

playing with isolation myself just now.

what ahve YOU been doing?

agreed.......:)D )

DavidF, Jun 9, 2007
  2. keith

Deaf Cat

Hiya,

Hope you don't mind me joining in, found this site by searching out alternatives to the TNT Pirelli Screenflex S2, although the thread in question was last used in 2004, so I guess I'm a little behind the times:eek:

I've been reading a little on power leads, over the last few months. I find it an interesting subject, in that, how on earth:confused: can changing a power lead affect the sound from the speakers. I am yet to come across anything technical as to how and why changing the mains cable makes a difference.

However, one point I came across, was that RF is introduced into the lead from all the other bits around it, and this is not good:mad: so I thought to reflect this RF away I'll wrap my power amp lead in tin foil.

:eek: sound stage moved towards me slightly. Enjoyed for a few months:D

Then came across items indicating that any shielding should be earthed at the socket outlet point.....ok attached the foil to the power point screw which is earth.... :eek: sound became tinny up top...but slightly more detailed:D

A few tunes later, na! dont like the earthing effect to tinny up top for me, even though there is more detailing.....what if I foil&earth the preamp lead...

:D details stay, tinnyness smoothes, and positioning of instruments improves:D

So I'm now wondering what a proper cable made by someone who knows what they are doing sounds like:)

Remain amazed at what a bit of tinkering can do with a power lead of all things:)

When I have a chance (when the missis is out - thinks I'm mad;) ) I'll have a bash at the lead to the linear psu for the Squeezebox...

Ohoo almost forgot, would love to hear of any suggestions to use as a substitute for the TNT Pirelli cable.

Cheers

Deaf Cat, Jun 28, 2007
  3. keith

anubisgrau

certainly, as long as you have a transparent and revealing system.

anubisgrau, Jun 29, 2007
  4. keith

ADPully

Heres my input I agree with many others mains cable and interconnect cables can make a massive difference, the problem is there are good ones and bad ones out there and they affect different systems in different ways - Me I use a range around 6 from my own silver homebrews to £180 bought ones some work better than others on different kit. I use them to tune my system like tone controls. If you are interested in sound enough to subscribe to this forum you owe it to yourself to try one of the various 2money back if you are not delighted" mains cable offers I suggest The missing link and Russ Andrews are the best place for skeptics to start.

ADPully, Jun 30, 2007
Ask a Question