[Review] Malaysian Promitheus Vs First Music Preamp update

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Oct 9, 2006.

1. larkrise

T-bone Sanchez

:D :D

UK maybe??

T-bone Sanchez, Dec 1, 2006
  2. larkrise

jaspal kallar

I ordered a balanced version Dec 8th, 2006 and Nicholas said that it would take about 3 weeks to build. That was much better than I expected. Nevertheless already impatient after one day.

- jaspal

jaspal kallar, Dec 8, 2006
  3. larkrise

T-bone Sanchez

Rollo:

Lucky you, Im still waiting for a sign!

T-bone Sanchez, Dec 11, 2006
  4. larkrise

T-bone Sanchez

Well, the nice man from DHL has dropped a parcel off, origin; Maylasia. Looks like Im in business, honestly thought Id been forgotten!

T-bone Sanchez, Dec 14, 2006
  5. larkrise

jaspal kallar

Rollo: good to read that you got it abeit not the version you wanted. I supose you've contacted Nick about eventually getting the correct version.

I ordered the standard balanced version with 2 RCA and 1 XLR input. It's the same price (for a limited period, I gatther) as the singled ended one.

I hope to have mine by mid Jan 2007. I gather Nick is going flat out (only around 6hrs sleep/day) to get as much tvc's as possible to be shipped out before Christmas.

Perhaps, Rollo, give us a mini early review of yours, say after a week or so.

Bye for now,

- jaspal.

jaspal kallar, Dec 16, 2006
  6. larkrise

T-bone Sanchez

Well Ive had it for nearly a week now and well Im not too sure really. Good points are the clarity and soundstaging. Downsides, well its certainly no worse than what Ive had/built but it seems to be missing some energy. I suspect the DAC I use is the cause. It has a very low output voltage (0.5v) and I dont think its enough. A mate is bringing his Meridian 507 to compare.

T-bone Sanchez, Dec 19, 2006
  7. larkrise

Tenson Moderator

If it is like the S&B TX102's you should be able to run it in at full volume (0 dB attenuation 1:1 ratio, so no +6dB setting) to use all of the coil on both sides. Load it with a resistor or a switched off power amp etc...

Tenson, Dec 19, 2006
  8. larkrise

anubisgrau

OK this is the first relatively reserved opinion on promitheus i've seen so far. strangely although i've ordered one and it definitely wouldn't be good for my system if rollo's impressions would stay valid after a break-in (lack of PRaT, lean-ish), somehow i've always sensed an exaggeration around it. we can't expect so many miracles from a 350-500$ product but what serious users should do is to really test it against some well respected active preamps. soon i will be able to say how it copes against cary 98 and pass labs x2.5 and maybe electrocompaniet 4.7 - especially if TVC turns not to work for me.

anubisgrau, Dec 19, 2006
  9. larkrise

T-bone Sanchez

I'll try that, Ive got my cdp on repeat with the power amp switched off, I should be well over 100hrs now, I'll keep going!

T-bone Sanchez, Dec 20, 2006
  10. larkrise

jaspal kallar

rollo: I'm not familar with your gear and therefore was wondering if you could tell me approx. price new for the Bent and the Loesch & Wiesner valved preamp?

Really I'm just curious about the prices compared with your (reference ??) TVC.

- jaspal.

jaspal kallar, Dec 20, 2006
  11. larkrise

jaspal kallar

rollo: Quite alot invested I must say!! Yes a picture would be really nice. My system is no where near in comparison. At rank best it can be considered a mid hi-fi system. However, it will be interesting to see how it sounds with the TVC I've ordered (standard balanced version). I have no preamp as present but I dare say I'll still be able to remember the old preamp sound. In the end the ordered TVC is still alot cheaper than going out and replacing my existing preamp with the equivalent new model - a Cyrus pre xvs2 (~ $1285, £600).

Anyway, thanks for keeping us posted on the TVC's sound over time.

[Micromega T-Drive -> Monarchy DIP -> Audiolab 8000 DAC -> Cyrus Pre (PSXR) -> 2 x (Cyrus Power + PSXR) -> Kef 103/4 (XLO IC's, Spkr cable) ]

jaspal kallar, Dec 21, 2006
  12. larkrise

T-bone Sanchez

I am pleased to say that its really starting to improve, its almost like someone has flicked a switch and hey presto, it opens up. Still need more than 0.5v input though.

T-bone Sanchez, Dec 22, 2006
  13. larkrise

jaspal kallar

Approx. how many hours ?

- jaspal.

jaspal kallar, Dec 22, 2006
  14. larkrise

T-bone Sanchez

Roughly 150hrs Id say. I've had my cdp on repeat and the amp turned off. Its so much better today its almost a different pre.

T-bone Sanchez, Dec 22, 2006
  15. larkrise

Dik Dolan

I just finished making the hificollective tvc kit for my brother and he is very happy. I only had a quick listen to see if i'd built it properly and initial impressions are good. Very clear but definately not thin or weedy. The kit is great value, the finished item looks fabulous and sounds great.
    http://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/passivetvc_pictures.html

Dik Dolan, Dec 29, 2006
  16. larkrise

T-bone Sanchez

Im very happy with my Prometheius TVC now.

T-bone Sanchez, Dec 29, 2006
  17. larkrise

anubisgrau

you are lucky that you got yours, some shipments are delayed

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
    anubisgrau, Dec 29, 2006
  18. larkrise

T-bone Sanchez

I had a very similar problem, I was most annoyed by the failure to reply to my emails. Fortunatley, mine turned up out of the blue before xmas. I actually thought I wasn't going to see it and started working out how I was going to get my money back.

T-bone Sanchez, Dec 30, 2006
  19. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Hi selling my balanced version as have now ordered a reference dual mono version - please see Classifieds. price is a bit cheaper than Nicks but I'm in the UK and no wait and just seeking to pass this on!

NOW SOLD PENDING PAYMENT

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
    larkrise, Dec 30, 2006
  20. larkrise

marcoschnabl

TVC Promitheus with Trends Audio TA-10

Hi there, just replying to your post about the TVC. I'd like to ask if you know of anybody using it with the TA-10 (which should be then used as a power amp only). My doubt is this: does the TA-10 gets its distinctive sound from the pre amp stage or from its power amp stage? If I disconnect the pre amp to use the TVC, will I lose any quality?
    Hope someone can answer me!!!
    Thanx
    Marco

marcoschnabl, Jul 28, 2007
Ask a Question