[Review] Merlin VSM M

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Jul 2, 2003.

1. merlin

merlin

Merlin VSM M

Just thought I would enlighten some about a product that you may not have come across.

I have owned many speakers over the past 15 years but I very much doubt that I will ever need to replace my Merlins.

I had to sell my Martin Logan's due to space constraint and everyone told me I'd never find a dynamic speaker with the midrange speed of the ML's.

I was beginning to think they may be right. I tried, JM Labs Mini Utopia, Proac 3.8 and Future .5, B&W N805 and 803 plus Wilson Cubs. All failed to satisfy and I wanted my Logans back!

Then I stumbled upon the Merlins and WOW! Not only did they match the midrange speed and definition of the Logans, the actually surpassed it in a number of areas, most noteably the natural decay of instruments and texture.

I firmly believe there is no finer speaker on the market for the person who is limited to a relatively small listening room. You want something better but this usually means bigger which is impractical for most of us here in the UK. The Esotar tweeter is unsurpassed and the midrange has far more emotional power than any of the Dynaudio speakers I have heard (which is just about all!).

The transparency is astonishing (this from a former panel freak!) and the bass will satisfy all but the real dubheads out there. It proves that if the product is right in the first place, it can handle any musical genre with equanimity. The VSM Millenium just lets you hear the music.

In summary, the Merlins offer Monitor levels of detail retrieval and accuracy but also communicate in a manner all too rare in this age. Sadly they are not represented over here, but if you can stand the price ($7500), they are so worth importing, particularly if you use valves.

Bobby Palkovic is a genius!

merlin, Jul 2, 2003
  2. merlin

joel Shaman of Signals

Yawn :beamup:

I sank U

joel, Jul 3, 2003
  3. merlin

merlin

You tired or something Joel

:confused:

Maybe you need some quality kit to wake you from your midlife slumber;) The Merlins would be a very good start:D

I thank you

merlin, Jul 3, 2003
  4. merlin

joel Shaman of Signals

Sorry Merlin, but with those Merlins and your preference for Martin-Logan kit, the midlife slumberer is U.
    Whatever happened to the JBLs? Those are serious funk - maybe a touch too funky for some...

domo domo

joel, Jul 4, 2003
  5. merlin

merlin

Joel,

Seriously if you ever get the chance to hear a pair of Merlins, be prepared to fall in love;)

Oh and remember mine mate seamlessly (courtesy of the Tact) with a meaty 12" Dynaudio bass unit for those trouser flapping moments:D

The JBL's are now the property of a local studio owner and all round dubhead! My curiosity is satisfied, owning Merlins is an emotional experience. Top banana:banana:

merlin, Jul 4, 2003
  6. merlin

wflem007

Merlin

I think the Esotar tweeter is an Dynaudio product as well. It has/was/is used by Sonus Faber, Wilson, and a good few others

wflem007, Aug 15, 2003
  7. merlin

zanash

Its a scanspeak.....9000 series[?] with the sticky doping. Or were the last time I was close up to the Wilson B and the sonus F. Superb tweeter, best dome I've heard. I used a pair in my Transmission lines. Though they are good they are second best to my ML Aerieus i's.

zanash, Aug 20, 2003
  8. merlin

merlin

Yep the D330 was used by Sonus faber in the Extrema and Elector Amator 1, although not used anymore. Don't think Wilson ever used it, but it is still employed by a VERY select group, Rockport, Eggleston Works, Silverline and of course Merlin.

The 9900 revelator from Scanspeak is used by Peak Consult, Living Voice and others, and offers a slightly smoother sound, very undramatic.

I agree with Zanash that the ML's are fab, I used to have the Ascents, but rolled off in the treble they are (unless powered by a huge Krell:D )

I am trying to sell these Merlins at the moment, but everything I hear below 8 grand is just not in the same leauge for what I want!

merlin, Aug 20, 2003
Ask a Question